retrofade

Game Thread: 2018 US Midterm Elections

4 minutes ago, sebasour said:

I think The GOP gains a seat in The Senate, with The "blue wave" hitting the house and giving it to The Democrats.

The Senate map just isn't favorable in 2018 for us Democrats. 

2020 should really be the hope for a blue wave if you're a lefty. 21 Republican Senators have to defend their seats while only 12 Democrats do. Throw in Trump having  to run for reelection and congressional redistricting after the census, and the Democrats have a chance at some real power. 

I think the Republicans will hold in Alaska, Ark, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Loiusiana, Montana, Neb, S.Car, S.Dak, Tenn, Texas, WV and Wyoming. 

These will be the states Dems have best chance in - 
Colorado, Cory Gardner, however he has maintained decent popularity 
N.Carolina - Thom Tillis - barely won last time
Iowa - Joni Ernst - she's a big foe of dems
Maine - Susan Collins - dems already spending there

However Dems will likely lose the current senate seat in Alabama that they won due to Roy Moore.  
And Michigan and New Hampshire will be in play.   

So I think best Dems could hope for is a pickup of 2-3 Senate seats.  But they could end up losing 1-2 seats too.  

10 minutes ago, pokerider said:

I think the Republicans will hold in Alaska, Ark, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Loiusiana, Montana, Neb, S.Car, S.Dak, Tenn, Texas, WV and Wyoming. 

However Dems will likely lose the current senate seat in Alabama that they won due to Roy Moore.  

So I think best Dems could hope for is a pickup of 2-3 Senate seats.  But they could end up losing 1-2 seats too.  

I mostly agree though I think 4-5 is possible as I could see Montana and Georgia being competitive too. Granted I also give Trump a much higher chance of being reelected than most of my fellow Liberals do. 

It's too early to tell, but either way anyone who wants a blue wave needs it to hit in 2020. Gaining anything other than The House was always going to be a tall task this year

13 minutes ago, pokerider said:

The GOP has to defend Arizona in 2020 as well... it'll be a special election to serve the final two years of McCain's seat. With how wide open the current race there is, you'd have to put it in the mix as a Democrat target as well. The Democrats are also likely to come at Lindsey Graham HARD (assuming he isn't the AG by then)... that's not to say they'll have anyone that can stand a chance, but if they find a Beto-esque candidate, expect them to throw money into that race. 

You're very correct about Tillis being a target... he's in an interesting position of being disliked by Trumpians for continuing the Senate Intelligence investigation into Russian interference in the election, but disliked by the Democrats because he's been a pretty stalwart defender of Trump and has gone with Trump's agenda for the most part. 

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Do you mean like in Detroit where more people voted than were on the voting roles?  Pretty impressive to get over 100% voter turnout! 

That wasn't the point but if you insist...

"The discrepancy did not involve Detroit's recording more votes than registered voters, but rather precinct poll workers miscounting the number of people who voted."

The point was you've got to be super dumb to just take the word of someone that offers "many people are saying" "and in my opinion" as proof of a claims.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I think Gillum loses. I also could be totally wrong. 

At the end of the day, I think at the end of the day the GOP will control the Senate and the Dems will control the House, each by thin margins. 

This “cotton pickin’”election is too important to “monkey up.”

My unofficial prediction:

Dems take the House.  Nancy Pelosi is elected speaker...again :rolleyes:

GOP picks up 1 Senate seat 

In Nevada

Rosen wins

Laxalt by the skin of his teeth 

All questions except 3 pass 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

P.S. there’s no such thing as the House or Senate popular vote.  So regardless of outcome, don’t bring up that talking point. Ok?  Thanks. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Fresno polling place changed over black lives matter banner. State laws says the environment and location has to be politically neutral.

http://amp.fresnobee.com/news/politics-government/election/article220919265.html

I think the same could be said if there was a Make America Great Again banner as well.

110926run_defense710.jpg