retrofade

Game Thread: 2018 US Midterm Elections

8 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

In the bigger picture, sure.  But honestly, you get happy with potential bad news for republicans.  Which is fine, none of my business.  I dont see you ever get happy about potential bad news for democrats though.

I still get happy when democrats get bad news....

I am cautiously happy with CA house results.

That's probably true, in terms of what makes me happy right now. But I feel like the direction of the party is a direction away from the things that I appreciated about them before 2016. I was in to a lot of what Rand Paul was selling at the end of the Obama years before the ascendance of Trump, and I thought the party was heading that way. I was wrong, and so I feel like the party is turning back on libertarian leaning people like me. But it doesn't change the fact that right now, watching national politics is a lot like how I'll feel when the Warriors play the Lakers this year in the WCF. I'll probably be happier to see the Lakers win (Jesus, did I even type that?), but I won't be particularly happy about that either.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

GOP needs to hold onto Royces old seat.  Kim is a good candidate, if she can win in this environment she could hold that seat for a long time, and eventually run for a statewide office.  If the state GOP doesnt develop their farm system they will go extinct in the Golden State.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

In the bigger picture, sure.  But honestly, you get happy with potential bad news for republicans.  Which is fine, none of my business.  I dont see you ever get happy about potential bad news for democrats though.

I still get happy when democrats get bad news....

I am cautiously happy with CA house results.

Republican Dana Rohrabacher (House of Representives member) who's been in office since 1989 is losing in Orange County of all places (as of 99% of the votes counted). If he goes on to lose, then Orange County which has been the hub for rich Republicans here in California will be in panic mode. Let the exodus to Scottsdale, Arizona begin! :D

Of the 53 Congressional districts in California, Democrats are on pace to pick up at least two more from 39 to 41. Some of the votes still haven't been tabulated as of 2:00 am, but the future isn't looking very bright for Republicans here in the Golden State. 

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

So what is the final tally in the house and senate? 

If everything holds firm as it is now, it would Democrats 228 Republicans 207 in the House

Republicans 55 Democrats 45 in the senate.

However watching some coverage in late night tonight, some stations you would have thought Trump won the presidential election. 

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Republican Dana Rohrabacher (House of Representives member) who's been in office since 1989 is losing in Orange County of all places (as of 99% of the votes counted). If he goes on to lose, then Orange County which has been the hub for rich Republicans here in California will be in panic mode. Let the exodus to Scottsdale, Arizona begin! :D

Of the 53 Congressional districts in California, Democrats are on pace to pick up at least two more from 39 to 41. Some of the votes still haven't been tabulated as of 2:00 am, but the future isn't looking very bright for Republicans here in the Golden State. 

Republicans in California have been on life support for quite a while. That is why the calls for seperation have been growing louder especially from folks in the central part of the state.

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Republicans in California have been on life support for quite a while. That is why the calls for seperation have been growing louder especially from folks in the central part of the state.

The folks in Orange County have been seperated from that seperation...until now. :D The votes have all been counted and Congressman Rohrabacher (1989 - Present) lost

District 48 - 100% reporting, Harley Rouda (D) 50.74% Dana Rohrabacher (R) Incumbant 49.26%.

So I'm finally caught up on most of what happened after I went to bed around midnight last night. 

The biggest thing for me is that the GOP lost their veto-proof majority in the NC House, which is huge. We also voted down the two biggest bullshit power grab Constitutional Amendments I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, we did pass a voter ID amendment... here's one of the signs they were using to get people to vote yes.

6l9bqijjhqw11.png

Someone posted that on reddit, but I actually drive past that exact spot every day on my way to work.

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So I'm finally caught up on most of what happened after I went to bed around midnight last night. 

The biggest thing for me is that the GOP lost their veto-proof majority in the NC House, which is huge. We also voted down the two biggest bullshit power grab Constitutional Amendments I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, we did pass a voter ID amendment... here's one of the signs they were using to get people to vote yes.

6l9bqijjhqw11.png

Someone posted that on reddit, but I actually drive past that exact spot every day on my way to work.

I don't have any issue with voter ID laws as long as the state provides easy and free access to an ID to those who may not have a drivers license or passport due to age, disability, or lack of income. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I don't have any issue with voter ID laws as long as the state provides easy and free access to an ID to those who may not have a drivers license or passport due to age, disability, or lack of income. 

Yeah, that's the problem. We already had our voter ID law overturned as unconstitutional in part because they made it difficult for people who might not have an ID to be able to get one. It was a massive voter suppression effort on their part. Hell, they put the amendment on the ballot but haven't written what the law will actually end up being... that'll happen in the next legislative session that starts after Thanksgiving.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Yeah, that's the problem. We already had our voter ID law overturned as unconstitutional in part because they made it difficult for people who might not have an ID to be able to get one. It was a massive voter suppression effort on their part. Hell, they put the amendment on the ballot but haven't written what the law will actually end up being... that'll happen in the next legislative session that starts after Thanksgiving.

Yeah, whenever these initiatives are launched, they need to be designed to survive judicial challenges. Access for the folks I listed above is the main sticking point. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Ohio's interesting.  The Dems run a staunch New Deal/Bernie progressive for Senate, and they win.  They run a bland corporatist, Clinton-Obama centrist for Governor, and they lose.

giphy.gif

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

7 hours ago, mugtang said:

Looks like Sisolak won Clark County by a huge margin. He’ll be the next governor. 

that’s total not early vote btw. 

Talk about an argument against term limits. Neither one of those clowns were ever going to be a worthy replacement for Sandoval.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bronco22 said:

Yep, but we still have the Supreme Court confirmation!!! You're such a DUMBASS!!!

You were talking about impeachment Cleetus. The Supreme Court has nothing to do with impeachment.

Are you Blue’s sock? Because you have everything there but the HA!,HA!s