retrofade

Game Thread: 2018 US Midterm Elections

Give me stupid takes for $100:

Maybe she missed the part where Dems had more people up for re-election and actually won more Senate Races.  Or the part where each State is equal in the Union regardless of population and is guaranteed equal representation in the Senate?  

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Maybe she missed the part where Dems had more people up for re-election and actually won more Senate Races.  Or the part where each State is equal in the Union regardless of population and is guaranteed equal representation in the Senate?  

If Democrats had their way they would combine most the western states as one and give them 1 token senator and 1 rep.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

afp.gif

5 hours ago, crixus said:

Republican Dana Rohrabacher (House of Representives member) who's been in office since 1989 is losing in Orange County of all places (as of 99% of the votes counted). If he goes on to lose, then Orange County which has been the hub for rich Republicans here in California will be in panic mode. Let the exodus to Scottsdale, Arizona begin! :D

Of the 53 Congressional districts in California, Democrats are on pace to pick up at least two more from 39 to 41. Some of the votes still haven't been tabulated as of 2:00 am, but the future isn't looking very bright for Republicans here in the Golden State. 

They are going to pick up 3, but I think most expected 4 or 5.

OC hasnt been solidly red for decades now btw.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Talk about an argument against term limits. Neither one of those clowns were ever going to be a worthy replacement for Sandoval.

Nope and Sandoval would’ve crushed Sisolak last night even with the blue wave in Nevada. 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Nope and Sandoval would’ve crushed Sisolak last night even with the blue wave in Nevada. 

Sandoval produces waves by himself. Look at 2014.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The people making these dumb “we are not a democracy” arguments are themselves the clearest argument against democracy.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Well, she's not wrong. Our country is not a direct democracy. It's a representative republic. But we elect representatives through a democratic process.

Our founders were much smarter than these morons who want tyranny of the majority.

18 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The people making these dumb “we are not a democracy” arguments are themselves the clearest argument against democracy.

There wasnt even a republican on the ballot for US senate in CA because of our primary rules, so that definitely skews her senate popular vote mythological number.

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yep... they also got rid of a few veto-proof majorities like here in NC. The State-level gains are going to prove to be very important as we head into the census and redistricting... because that's what's going to help shape what Congress looks like from 2022-2032. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yep... they also got rid of a few veto-proof majorities like here in NC. The State-level gains are going to prove to be very important as we head into the census and redistricting... because that's what's going to help shape what Congress looks like from 2022-2032. 

Colorado redistricting is going to now be done by a completely independent counsel, not by the state legislature.   Colorado flipped 1 state Senate seat for a 18-17 adv.  
And really, despite a lot more money by Dem Polis and a poor campaign by the Republican, Polis didn't win by as much as I thought he would.  
Regardless, Polis will likely push his state healthcare agenda next year and his non-fossil fuel agenda.   I'm already looking to move out of Colorado.  

32 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

There wasnt even a republican on the ballot for US senate in CA because of our primary rules, so that definitely skews her senate popular vote mythological number.

Right? And when you take that race out and see the how close the vote totals are you think WAIT A MINUTE, THIS IS A TRAVESTY! HOW DID THE DEMOCRATS WIN 20 SEATS WHEN THE SENATE POPULAR VOTE WAS SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Right? And when you take that race out and see the how close the vote totals are you think WAIT A MINUTE, THIS IS A TRAVESTY! HOW DID THE DEMOCRATS WIN 20 SEATS WHEN THE SENATE POPULAR VOTE WAS SO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!  

You’re avatar... Why?!

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

You’re avatar... Why?!

I cannot save the Republicans from Trumpism. Maybe I can save the Democrats from...everything wrong with them.

Also, the boomers failed me and we lost the house.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I cannot save the Republicans from Trumpism. Maybe I can save the Democrats from...everything wrong with them.

Also, the boomers failed me and we lost the house.

The GOP was always going lose the house.  The moment Trump became president this was going to happen with a GOP President, House and Senate

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The GOP was always going lose the house.  The moment Trump became president this was going to happen with a GOP President, House and Senate

I don’t know about always. Likely sure, but there are ways to play things that doesn’t piss off lazy young people who almost never would vote if somebody wasn’t driving their social media insane every. Single. Day. 

• Like 2