tailingpermit

BSU vs BYU

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Bob said:

Your boy, Bronco, agrees with me.

He even said independence is "not sustainable" and that competing for a conference championship is great for any given program. Only the arrogant people at BYU would eschew the very foundation of organized sports and quit the league they belonged to and play games just for the sake of playing games. It's comical. Having said that, BYU would be a perfect fit for the SunBelt, a truly national conference. 

I don't have a boy named Bronco.  Are you talking about Bronco Mendenhall?

Bob, I'm admittedly not a smart person, but alls I know is that I'm grateful for the MWC for lining up to schedule BYU.   BYU probably would have to join the Sun Belt, if not for the MWC's help.   The MWC is what sustains BYU football right now.   Thank you Bob!

Regarding the Sunbelt, BYU has a few Sun Belt Football games scheduled in upcoming years.   Georgia Southern in 2021 and 2024\

2021: 5 Home, 5 Road, 1 Neutral
Sept 2 – Arizona (Las Vegas)
Sept 11 – UTAH
Sept 18 – ARIZONA STATE
Sept 24 – SOUTH FLORIDA

Oct 1 – @ Utah State
Oct 9 – BOISE STATE

Oct 16 – @ Baylor

Oct 23 – @ Washington State
Oct 30 – VIRGINIA
Nov 20 – @ Georgia Southern
Nov 27 – @ Southern California

2024: 2 Home, 4 Road
Sept 14 – HAWAI'I

Sept 28 – @ Wyoming
Oct 12 – GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Oct 19 – @ East Carolina

Nov 2 – @ UNLV

Nov 9 – @ North Carolina State

Be sure to tune in and watch!

1 hour ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Well, the MWC has two teams currently ranked in the Top 20 and is still in the running for a NY6 bowl berth so yes I would say the MWC is nationally relevant per your definition above. 

Ask yourself this - how much more fun would Saturday's game between BSU/BYU have been if it were a conference game with MWC title implications?  I just don't understand what independence has done for BYU, but whatever...you 

I am not a big proponent of independence.  But I also don't see a whole lot of options when it comes to conferences.  I will admit that could be because I don't want BYU to be back in the MWC.  I have my reasons.

That said, I really think that you can't understand what independence has done because you won't look at it from the side that it may have had benefit.  Look at the exposure this year.  One game on ABC and one on big Fox and in prime viewing time.  And yes, I agree that is because of the opponent.  But that is exactly the point.  BYU would not schedule near as many of these kind of games if they were back in the MWC.  Every game has been easily viewable this year.  You can say BYUtv is not easily viewable, but it is.  I watched the BYU exhibition basketball game against Westminster in my hotel room in SoCal the other night.  

The team I watch second most, Utah State, is having a great year.  They are ranked with their only loss to a pretty doggone good team and it was close.  Where have they been on my television dial the last couple of weeks, or this coming week? Yes, I know Face Book and other such options.  I'm probably not going to look that hard.  Even Utah in the mighty PAC.  Many of their games are on the PAC network and many people choose to use carriers that do not have access to that.  

Again, not a huge fan of independence, but I think I can look at it from both sides and there certainly are some benefits. 

4 hours ago, Bob said:

BYU independence is a joke. What color will their participation ribbon be this year?

We had some BYU guys up from Utah hanging out at our tailgate for a while on Saturday. Had a nice discussion with them and they definitely agree: they hate independence. Nothing to play for once there's a loss. No conference championship, no all-conference accolades...they want back in a conference in a big way. All my friends here in Boise who are BYU fans agree.

I'm sure they are some who prefer independence, but I think it's mostly the internet trolls who feel that way. Don't want to admit what a colossal, prideful blunder it was.

46 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

We had some BYU guys up from Utah hanging out at our tailgate for a while on Saturday. Had a nice discussion with them and they definitely agree: they hate independence. Nothing to play for once there's a loss. No conference championship, no all-conference accolades...they want back in a conference in a big way. All my friends here in Boise who are BYU fans agree.

I'm sure they are some who prefer independence, but I think it's mostly the internet trolls who feel that way. Don't want to admit what a colossal, prideful blunder it was.

I hear the same thing. The season for them was over after the loss to Cal. November matchups are supposed to be exciting with lots to gain and lose. Look how big this Fresno game is for the broncos. BYU is playing to get to 6 wins pretty lame. 

9 minutes ago, Lol@ByU said:

I hear the same thing. The season for them was over after the loss to Cal. November matchups are supposed to be exciting with lots to gain and lose. Look how big this Fresno game is for the broncos. BYU is playing to get to 6 wins pretty lame. 

How about AFA vs UNM? Now there's a game with real meaning and a lot on the line.  Good thing they are in a conference or the game wouldn't mean a thing. 

9 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Really? THAT is your response? Clueless.

I've already said I'm not a huge fan of independence.  But for you or anybody else to tell true fans our games are meaningless.  That is clueless.  The games mean something to me because I am a fan of my Alma Mater and I love to watch them play. Fault me for that if you like, but it's true and it's honest. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

We had some BYU guys up from Utah hanging out at our tailgate for a while on Saturday. Had a nice discussion with them and they definitely agree: they hate independence. Nothing to play for once there's a loss.

No conference championship, no all-conference accolades...they want back in a conference in a big way. All my friends here in Boise who are BYU fans agree.

In the MWC, if you have 1 loss, you can play for one of these prizes (Las Vegas Bowl going away in 2 years).

Mountain West Bowl Ties, Affiliations

Highest-ranked champion from the AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl.

The Mountain West doesn’t have a true pecking order after the Las Vegas. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography.

1. Las Vegas vs. Pac-12

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. MAC
 Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Conference USA
 Hawai’i Bowl vs. Conference USA
 NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl vs. Sun Belt
 Cheez-It Bowl
Conditional if bowl can’t fill a spot.

Great game.  BYU being Indy is a good thing for BSU and BYU.   They play every year anyways.  This way the mwc is not sharing bowls and ny6 opportunities with BYU but they are making more money with the schedule and results they have been having.  Seems like a win/win.  

Posted Image

1 minute ago, edluvar said:

Great game.  BYU being Indy is a good thing for BSU and BYU.   They play every year anyways.  This way the mwc is not sharing bowls and ny6 opportunities with BYU but they are making more money with the schedule and results they have been having.  Seems like a win/win.  

I agree.  BYU independence creates good OOC scheduling opportunities for the MWC.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, edluvar said:

I went to the BYU game at Fresno last year and really enjoyed it.  I hadnt thought about it this way but you make a good point.

Guest #1Stunner

Regarding BYU and the MWC.

Things to remember.   

Both BYU and the MWC are signing new TV deals this Spring.  We'll see how that looks.

Also, if the college football playoffs expand to 8 teams, we might see G5 realignment.  

Also, the next round of Bowl ties are only a few years away.

Gonzaga.  So far they have told the MWC no thanks.  Who knows if that will change.

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Seems to be working OK...

I don't know if BYU's ever been more popular than now.

Even in a down year...

BYU is the most discussed, most popular school in the MWC-----7 years after leaving.

I don't think you understand the dynamic.  Popularity isn't the issue, unless by "popularity" you mean "loathing".  MWC fans coming to a BYU thread is like NASCAR fans going to a race.  NASCAR fans don't go to watch someone cross the line with the checkered flag; they go to see the wrecks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pacougar said:

Just out of curiosity,  does anybody that was there have an estimate of how many BYU fans were at the game Saturday night? 

A lot. I'm not great at estimating. A couple thousand? Mostly scattered throughout the stadium. Visitor's section was all BYU.

I'd say a lot of them were locals, but there were a fair amount of travelers, as well. Represented well, as usual.