lawofthejunglenv

Nevada vs BYU

Game's in 5 days. No specific game preview articles yet as BYU just held their last exhibition game tonight. The guys at The Reno Slant did go over it and had some predictions, the podcast is embedded too.

Nevada's website states less than 500 tickets remain, should be an awesome environment in Lawlor Tuesday!

The Law of the Jungle

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, lawofthejunglenv said:

Game's in 5 days. No specific game preview articles yet as BYU just held their last exhibition game tonight. The guys at The Reno Slant did go over it and had some predictions, the podcast is embedded too.

Nevada's website states less than 500 tickets remain, should be an awesome environment in Lawlor Tuesday!

The Law of the Jungle

BYU is very undersized this year.   But has some shooters.

Only chance BYU has is if it gets hot from 3 point range.  

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU is very undersized this year.   But has some shooters.

Only chance BYU has is if it gets hot from 3 point range.  

Nevada doesn't have proven shooters like last year. Could be a better game than some anticipate. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

I don't know what to expect... I think Pack fan expectations are a little too optimistic. Hope I'm wrong....

Streaming  ?

I’m cautiously optismistic after the exhibitions.  I could see us smoking them, but I could also see BYU hitting every shot and hitting a buzzer beater to win by 1. 

24 minutes ago, lawofthejunglenv said:

I mean, maybe not in the exhibitions, but Jazz, Henson, and Zouzoua are all proven shooters. Just shaking off the rust.

I predict Caroline scores 35. Martin's combine for 38 and about 12-15 for the rest. Total score for Nevada @85 or so. Should be enough to win.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

I predict BYU will have an entire roster of white guys that resembles the children of the corn fan club.

I predict Wyoming will have another losing season.....football and basketball.

BYU is supposed to be reverting to their former up-tempo style of offensive play.  They went a little too slow last year in deference to Schroyer, often passing up open shots early in the shot clock only to get worse attempts late.  Hopefully, the increased offensive pace doesn't negatively affect the improved defense they played last year.

BYU's best weapon is Yoeli Childs.  He starts at the 4 spot but also logs minutes at the 5.  He is a bit undersized at the 5.  He is good around the basket and has been developing his 3-point shot.  Pretty good rebounder.  Has made improvement on his free throw percentage since his freshman year but it's still a weakness for him.

Jashire Hardnett will likely start at point.  He's pretty quick and can get to the rim and finish, but he's also pretty small - listed (generously) at 6'0".  Probably the best of our perimeter defenders.

TJ Haws can be very good offensively.  He can play 1-3.  He can shoot from 3 though his percentage was down last year from his freshman season.  He can also get to the basket and finish or distribute.  He likes to be nontraditional in his passing, which can lead to a higher turnover rate.  Not great defensively, but made improvements last year as compared to freshman season.  Has good height, but doesn't have much mass.

Zach Seljass will probably get the start at the 3.  He shot over 50% from 3 as a freshman but struggled a lot last season after returning from his mission.  His shooting didn't look much better in the exhibition games.  He's not a threat to drive to the hoop, but sometimes gets some garbage points on put backs or catching other teams sleeping.  Has good height but slow feet, so is not great defensively.  Does a decent job at rebounding.

Luke Worthington will likely start at the 5.  He's not particularly good offensively, though he is better than he was as a freshman (tough to get worse).  He is usually where he's supposed to be defensively, he has decent size and strength, and he gives the team 5 fouls.  Not a great rebounder.

Likely to come off the bench:

Gavin Baxter - true freshman recently returned from a mission.  Good height, great wingspan, good athleticism.  Not a great shooter, most likely to affect the game through his defense.

Conner Harding - true freshman recently returned from a mission.  Decent height, good shooter, high basketball IQ.  Not sure about his defense.

Dalton Nixon - Undersized at the 5 but tenacious and strong for his size.  Adds an element of toughness and grit often lacking from BYU squads.  Coming off a shoulder injury that kept him out much of last season.

Rylan Bergersen - Supposedly a good shooter, haven't really seen it in a game yet.  Good size, should be able to at least defend and rebound.

McKay Cannon - combo guard, decent shooter, decent defender, not great size.

Kolby Lee - freshman, might see him at the 5 for a few minutes.  Good size, hit a 3 in an exhibition game, has odd running form.

Probably won't see the other guys on the roster - Taylor Maughan, Evan Troy, Jesse Wade (transfer from Gonzaga sitting out this season), or Nick Emery.  Emery is a two-year starter who withdrew from school last year for personal issues (divorce, etc.).  He's also serving a 9-game suspension for accepting impermissible benefits so he will not be available against Nevada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

BYU is supposed to be reverting to their former up-tempo style of offensive play.  They went a little too slow last year in deference to Schroyer, often passing up open shots early in the shot clock only to get worse attempts late.  Hopefully, the increased offensive pace doesn't negatively affect the improved defense they played last year.

BYU's best weapon is Yoeli Childs.  He starts at the 4 spot but also logs minutes at the 5.  He is a bit undersized at the 5.  He is good around the basket and has been developing his 3-point shot.  Pretty good rebounder.  Has made improvement on his free throw percentage since his freshman year but it's still a weakness for him.

Jashire Hardnett will likely start at point.  He's pretty quick and can get to the rim and finish, but he's also pretty small - listed (generously) at 6'0".  Probably the best of our perimeter defenders.

TJ Haws can be very good offensively.  He can play 1-3.  He can shoot from 3 though his percentage was down last year from his freshman season.  He can also get to the basket and finish or distribute.  He likes to be nontraditional in his passing, which can lead to a higher turnover rate.  Not great defensively, but made improvements last year as compared to freshman season.  Has good height, but doesn't have much mass.

Zach Seljass will probably get the start at the 3.  He shot over 50% from 3 as a freshman but struggled a lot last season after returning from his mission.  His shooting didn't look much better in the exhibition games.  He's not a threat to drive to the hoop, but sometimes gets some garbage points on put backs or catching other teams sleeping.  Has good height but slow feet, so is not great defensively.  Does a decent job at rebounding.

Luke Worthington will likely start at the 5.  He's not particularly good offensively, though he is better than he was as a freshman (tough to get worse).  He is usually where he's supposed to be defensively, he has decent size and strength, and he gives the team 5 fouls.  Not a great rebounder.

Likely to come off the bench:

Gavin Baxter - true freshman recently returned from a mission.  Good height, great wingspan, good athleticism.  Not a great shooter, most likely to affect the game through his defense.

Conner Harding - true freshman recently returned from a mission.  Decent height, good shooter, high basketball IQ.  Not sure about his defense.

Dalton Nixon - Undersized at the 5 but tenacious and strong for his size.  Adds an element of toughness and grit often lacking from BYU squads.  Coming off a shoulder injury that kept him out much of last season.

Rylan Bergersen - Supposedly a good shooter, haven't really seen it in a game yet.  Good size, should be able to at least defend and rebound.

McKay Cannon - combo guard, decent shooter, decent defender, not great size.

Kolby Lee - freshman, might see him at the 5 for a few minutes.  Good size, hit a 3 in an exhibition game, has odd running form.

Probably won't see the other guys on the roster - Taylor Maughan, Evan Troy, Jesse Wade (transfer from Gonzaga sitting out this season), or Nick Emery.  Emery is a two-year starter who withdrew from school last year for personal issues (divorce, etc.).  He's also serving a 9-game suspension for accepting impermissible benefits so he will not be available against Nevada.

Thanks for this. 

• Like 2

While this offseason has been the most enjoyable one I can recall I’m so ready to see some actual basketball.  BYU scares the hell out of me and the +12.5 seems like an awfully big number.  

The lights will be nationally bright tomorrow night, so I just hope the moment isn’t to big for all our new pieces. All that being said Lawlor will be rockin’ ,and I think Nevada pulls out a hard fought W.

• Like 1

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, Bob said:

you seem preoccupied with Wyoming.

I was responding to a Wyoming fan, who was posting about BYU.

I'm surprised you even took interest in my post, since you are a diehard AFA fan.