tailingpermit

Temple vs UCF...

48 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Week 4:  FAU/UCF, 1.295M, ESPN, Friday

Week 7:  UCF/Memphis:  2.99M, ABC, Saturday

Week 7:  Wyoming/Fresno State, 128K, ESPNU, Saturday

The only thing that proves is that our media deal is absolute garbage.  MAC on ABC would get good comparative numbers to MWC on ESPNU.  

• Like 1

After watching that game last night, I'm a firm believer the AAC is basically the MAC...and I've never been a huge rah-rah MWC guy, but the quality of defense being played in this conference is commendable for a G5 group. SDSU, Fresno, Boise, Nevada, Utah State, hell even Wyoming plays better defense than these clowns. Boise and SDSU have been the conference standard for defense for a long time, USU has also been very good...glad Fresno is finally able to hang their hat on that as well. Scoring 50 a game is all fine and good...but at some point, you're gonna need to stop someone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

After watching that game last night, I'm a firm believer the AAC is basically the MAC...and I've never been a huge rah-rah MWC guy, but the quality of defense being played in this conference is commendable for a G5 group. SDSU, Fresno, Boise, Nevada, Utah State, hell even Wyoming plays better defense than these clowns. Boise and SDSU have been the conference standard for defense for a long time, USU has also been very good...glad Fresno is finally able to hang their hat on that as well. Scoring 50 a game is all fine and good...but at some point, you're gonna need to stop someone.

Yep. UCF is doing what Boise did 15 years ago. Winning high-scoring games. Not a good defense, but an offense that can out score the other team. 

16 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

After watching that game last night, I'm a firm believer the AAC is basically the MAC...

then hopefully UCF can 'row the boat' to a 13 win season like WMU...

whole-lotta jealousy up in this thread.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

So you’re comparing ratings of an over the air channel and their primary channel to that of a channel a lot of people don’t get.  Also what time were those games played?  If the UCF/Memphis game was played at 10pm Eastern I’m sure the viewers would be significantly lower. 

The game began 7:30 PST in a state with almost 40 million residents. 128K?  Another reason contributing to the low viewership is, as your data illustrates, there is a gulf between the top MWC teams and the bottom MWC teams.  Who wants to watch a noncompetitive game?  Fresno 27, Wyoming 3.

The primary point being missed is that the AAC has shown, given a comparable broadcast platform similar to B12 and PAC, the AAC is capable of cranking out some good viewership numbers, something the MWC has not proved.

52 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

San Diego State can't beat any team by 20.  I think we would beat any team in the AAC though more often than not.  And Houston I think would be the toughest opponent out of them.

I agree.  It appears to me that Houston is the best AAC team.

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Dude. UCF looked poor last night. It’s okay. 

It is interesting to observe the comments on the Temple/UCF game.  UCF is being criticized by MWC fans as being a poor team because the Knights did not win by a big margin.  MWC fans refuse to recognize that Temple has righted its ship from the beginning of the season and is now a good football team, beating Maryland at Maryland.  The Temple/UCF game, like many AAC games, was a competitive game of two good football teams.

The AAC has depth, unlike the MWC, and you are not going to get so many runaway winning margins in the AAC.  The bottom half of the MWC teams cannot compete with the top half of MWC teams, so you get runaway large winning margins in the MWC, for example, Fresno 27, Wyoming 3.  Mutang's data documented this.  This is not true in the AAC.  The lower half of AAC football teams are capable of giving the top half a strong tussle on any game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

False. Nevada beat Oregon State.  While they’re terrible they’re still technically a P5 team. 

Given all the (monopolistic) advantage P5 schools have given to themselves, any G5 victory over any P5 school is a very strong accomplishment.

21 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I agree.  It appears to me that Houston is the best AAC team.

If the game is officiated fairly they are.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage form AAC members of the outright shafting every team gets when they play UCF. Memphis got hosed 2 years in row. Temple got hosed last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDoggFather said:

This UCF team reminds me of our 13 team. It will chatch up to them at some point. 

46 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It is interesting to observe the comments on the Temple/UCF game.  UCF is being criticized by MWC fans as being a poor team because the Knights did not win by a big margin.  MWC fans refuse to recognize that Temple has righted its ship from the beginning of the season and is now a good football team, beating Maryland at Maryland.  The Temple/UCF game, like many AAC games, was a competitive game of two good football teams.

How many yards did temple get against the national champion UCF? 

and btw, Maryland?

just sayin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The AAC has depth, unlike the MWC, and you are not going to get so many runaway winning margins in the AAC.  The bottom half of the MWC teams cannot compete with the top half of MWC teams, so you get runaway large winning margins in the MWC, for example, Fresno 27, Wyoming 3.  Mutang's data documented this.  This is not true in the AAC.  The lower half of AAC football teams are capable of giving the top half a strong tussle on any game. 

What’s the difference between Fresno beating Wyoming 27-3 and UCF beating SMU 48-20 or UConn 56-10 or ECU 37-10.  This gap you speak of that exists in the mwc also exists in the AAC. 

• Like 3

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The primary point being missed is that the AAC has shown, given a comparable broadcast platform similar to B12 and PAC, the AAC is capable of cranking out some good viewership numbers, something the MWC has not proved.

what it proves is that you know how to falsify numbers.  Or at best dont know how to read them.

That 2.99M you cited as for BOTH the UCF/Memphis and UWash/Oregon games, which were being televised on a split national/reverse mirror telecast between ABC and ESPN2.  And most of the country got the Oregon game on ABC.  The UCF game was on ABC mostly in the Southeast - where most people were watching UGa/LSU on CBS.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, RSF said:

what it proves is that you know how to falsify numbers.  Or at best dont know how to read them.

That 2.99M you cited as for BOTH the UCF/Memphis and UWash/Oregon games, which were being televised on a split national/reverse mirror telecast between ABC and ESPN2.

8 minutes ago, pesik said:

The AAC also had the LOWEST rated ESPN Thursday game of the year.  Tulsa/Houston.  So congrats....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I don't think they were being criticized for a close game. Everybody recognizes that those happens. Boise's 2006 team left their game against SJSU with a narrow win and went on to beat Oklahoma. UCF is being criticized for giving up 445 yards of offense in the first half.  Temple's QB matched his season averages in the first 2.25 quarters of the game. Good teams can win in multiple ways, but I think you could agree that UCF looked a bit hapless on D.