LoboMan59

It’s Heeere! College Basketball Season

Any info on CSUN? Los Lobos open up @ CSUN on the 6th. Then home on the 9th for the New Mexico Classic. Weir started this for in state schools (NNMU,ENMU, WNMU, NMHU, plus Fort Lewis in CO), so they could play in the Pit.

Cool idea imo, as it draws interest from other parts of the state/region.

https://golobos.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Is your team that dependent on Justin James?

I think for the month of November at least, yes, until Edwards figures out which newcomers will give him the most consistent production. We don't really have any production from the forwards returning, and our returning guards (Redding and Maldonado) seemed more comfortable as defense-first/game manager type players last year. 2 guys who did not appear in the exhibition who are expected to be a spark offensively are Jake Hendricks and AJ Banks (both JUCO transfers). Jordan Naughton is a big forward who's struggled with injuries but looked really good in limited minutes last night, it would be huge if he is able to stay on the court this season and make life a little easier on our perimeter players

Overall we look more athletic than last year, but our reliance on 3-point shooting and lack of offensive rebounding will give us plenty of issues this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Is your team that dependent on Justin James?

Honestly don't know yet.  We have 8 new kids in the program and another that redshirt last year, so a total of 9 that haven't played a minute of ball in a Poke uniform.

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Per Geoff Grammer

It's a good thing coaches preach preseason exhibition scores, and home court advantages, don't mean anything. If they did, not a promising night for Mountain West hoops: • SDSU 68, DII Chaminade 63 • Wyoming 72, DII Colo. Christian 69 • DII Western Colo. 84, Air Force 64

While I understand this, Wyo didn't play 3 kids that I think will get significant minutes.  Our two bigs played a total of 19 minutes.  Exhibition games are used by different coaches in different ways.  It's so hard to judge what an exhibition game really means.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I think for the month of November at least, yes, until Edwards figures out which newcomers will give him the most consistent production. We don't really have any production from the forwards returning, and our returning guards (Redding and Maldonado) seemed more comfortable as defense-first/game manager type players last year. 2 guys who did not appear in the exhibition who are expected to be a spark offensively are Jake Hendricks and AJ Banks (both JUCO transfers). Jordan Naughton is a big forward who's struggled with injuries but looked really good in limited minutes last night, it would be huge if he is able to stay on the court this season and make life a little easier on our perimeter players

Overall we look more athletic than last year, but our reliance on 3-point shooting and lack of offensive rebounding will give us plenty of issues this year.

This.

Even if our new kids prove to be as good as we hope they are, it'll be conference season before they really start playing well together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I should take the time to give Chaminade a little credit. They played well. Not knowing anything about their roster and just going on what I saw, I'd say they have a number of D1 transfers. Physically, they didn't look like a D2 squad. They have a number of players who can knock down threes and a couple of disciplined post players.

Does Dantley walker still play for them or has he graduated?

Andy Katz's preseason NCAA bracket.

Gonzaga a #1 seed in the west.

Nevada a #2 seed in the south.

Grand Canyon #14 in the east, UC Davis #15 in the east.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-01/andy-katz-filled-out-preseason-ncaa-tournament-bracket-lets

A 1 bid Mountain West.  Most likely won't shape up that way, but still

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pokebball said:

While I understand this, Wyo didn't play 3 kids that I think will get significant minutes.  Our two bigs played a total of 19 minutes.  Exhibition games are used by different coaches in different ways.  It's so hard to judge what an exhibition game really means.

Yeah I never put too much stock in exhibition games for that reason. It’s all an experiment. 

57 minutes ago, Cheek Patch said:

Does Dantley walker still play for them or has he graduated?

I think he’s coaching there now, if I’m not mistaken. 

Man... I can't believe were able to squeak by that powerhouse of college hoops, Chaminade. 

It recalled the days of yesteryear when the mighty, mighty Cups of Dixie State took down that perennial powerhouse UNLV and their HoF-to-be wizard of a coach Davidoff Rice in another exhibition game.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Andy Katz's preseason NCAA bracket.

Gonzaga a #1 seed in the west.

Nevada a #2 seed in the south.

Grand Canyon #14 in the east, UC Davis #15 in the east.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-01/andy-katz-filled-out-preseason-ncaa-tournament-bracket-lets

A 1 bid Mountain West.  Most likely won't shape up that way, but still

Ugh in that he has #2 Nevada vs #15 Montana

18 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Whoever agreed to play at CSUN should be fired.  No MW school should ever travel to a Big West school with the exception of Hawaii.

So I take you would not approve of UNLV playing at UC Santa Barbara.  A shame, since we'd bring out the best in you.

I understand why you settled on hosting UC Riverside instead of challenging us, though. They're breaking in a new head coach. And we've won 4 of the last 5 vs UNLV.

34 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

So I take you would not approve of UNLV playing at UC Santa Barbara.  A shame, since we'd bring out the best in you.

I understand why you settled on hosting UC Riverside instead of challenging us, though. They're breaking in a new head coach. And we've won 4 of the last 5 vs UNLV.

How's UCSB looking for this year?  We've got you in Laramie next Tuesday

42 minutes ago, pokebball said:

How's UCSB looking for this year?  We've got you in Laramie next Tuesday

Question marks with four starters lost, replaced by freshmen and transfers who have more talent on paper.  I'll dive into greater detail after our game.

The one returning starter, guard Max Heidegger, made 95 threes and shot 40% from there last year.  He's not explosive, but not afraid to drive to the basket either.  He will keep shooting whether he's on fire or cold. Heidegger was worn out at the end of last year, but more depth shoukd keep him fresher throughout this season.

If the Pokes have guards who like to body up and get into opponents' heads, that's a good thing for ya. He wears his emotions on his sleeves.

I'm high on freshman 6'9 forward Amadou Sow, a 3* recruit who picked UCSB over Colorado.  He also had offers from Wichita State and Illinois.  

Other than road games at Wyoming and Washington, we have a very soft ooc schedule.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, pokebball said:

Wyo to California?  Don't be stupid

I expect the Pokes to make a return trip to Santa Barbara next year.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:39 PM, LoboMan59 said:

UT isn't the best hoops program in the state...we intend to prove that when UT visits FedExForum in December.

mem skyline sig.jpeg