pokerider

More Great Economic News

2 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

I'm guessing your 401k hasn't done shit in the last year...

https://www.google.com/search?q=s%26p+500&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Ya people are talking that it's mostly due to this trade war BS. I'm 35 and lost over 30k in these last two months... Luckily still young and my financial advisor says it's best not to even look at it right now.

14 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Ya people are talking that it's mostly due to this trade war BS. I'm 35 and lost over 30k in these last two months... Luckily still young and my financial advisor says it's best not to even look at it right now.

You can't look at a 401k just over two months period.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

You can't look at a 401k just over two months period.

Ya I know, but it was fun to watch  as it was soaring over the 3-4 years before this last one.

Its worth the same now as it was back in December of last year. So over the last year it's done nothing even with my pretty high contribution.  But like you said, best not to even look at it right now.

26 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

You said you wake up every day and look at your 401k. The indexes are in the same place they were a year ago.

Yeah and you still can't look at your 401k results over at 2 month period. And my 401k is up approximately 5% since the first of the year.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

Yeah and you still can't look at your 401k results over at 2 month period. And my 401k is up approximately 5% since the first of the year.

I didn’t say anything about two months. It’s great that your 401k is up nearly 5%. Is it safe to assume the gains are mostly your own contributions? Because the S&P 500 is only up one percent in the same time frame.

4 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

When are you going to retire?

9 hours ago, Rocket said:

Thanks Bernie.

image.png.5d666bc1304acdb1caf6c6c830e99ec1.png

Minimum wage shouldn’t be handled at the federal level.  It needs to be handled at the state and local level.  The only thing the federal law should state is “the minimum wage for your area must be x times above/below the poverty line”.  $15/hr may work in the Bay Area or Los Angeles but it doesn’t work in places like Winnemuca Nevada.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

My 401k is down 6% for the year. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 hours ago, mugtang said:

Minimum wage shouldn’t be handled at the federal level.  It needs to be handled at the state and local level.  The only thing the federal law should state is “the minimum wage for your area must be x times above/below the poverty line”.  $15/hr may work in the Bay Area or Los Angeles but it doesn’t work in places like Winnemuca Nevada.  

Well, I sort of agree.  But the problem is that you could have a "race to the bottom" if every community is competing for who can have the lowest wage.  This is the same reason why Trump is trying to get the Mexicans to adopt a set minimum wage for autos.

Posted Image

Just now, NVGiant said:

What could go wrong? :shrug:

Always has been and always will be cyclical. Seems like government intervention increases the volatility. Who knows though, it's hard to prove what would have happened if we did or didn't do something else.

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Heh, I was originally hoping by 45, especially when everything was taking off for awhile, bit I'm thinking its probably closer to 50-52 right now

Sorry. I may be misunderstanding, but if your plan is to retire that early is it the right strategy to heavily contribute into a retirement acoount that you can’t withdraw from without penalty until you’re 60? Again, sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Always has been and always will be cyclical. Seems like government intervention increases the volatility. Who knows though, it's hard to prove what would have happened if we did or didn't do something else.

Depends when that intervention occurs. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Depends when that intervention occurs. 

Thanks to government intervention, we have affordable education, health care, and housing, hell yeah!

110926run_defense710.jpg

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sorry. I may be misunderstanding, but if your plan is to retire that early is it the right strategy to heavily contribute into a retirement acoount that you can’t withdraw from without penalty until you’re 60? Again, sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to retire that early but I have other investments until 59.5. I'm not touching 401k until then.

• Like 1