Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rofl_copter_dos

Video Games thread

21 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

@Rofl_copter_dos @retrofade

I know you guys play PC so I thought I could get your opinion on something. I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, but I don't want to break the bank on some high end 4k one because my current rig can't handle it. I have a single monitor that's 1080 I got 6 years ago, but I'm looking to expand with 2 that are 1440. I like the 1440 monitors because of the high refresh rate and older video cares are able to keep up. I currently have a NVIDIA GTX 760, but looking to upgrade in the coming months. Do you guys have dual monitors, single, or extra wide? What's your take on the wide curved monitors? 

I run a 27" Curved Samsung as my main monitor, flanked by two ASUS 22" mounted vertically. All three of them are standard 1080p monitors, as I can't really run 4K on my GTX 980 Pro. My GTX 760 was able to run that setup without too much difficulty as well. I can't really speak to the 1440s though.

My next upgrade is probably going to be a 4K 34" ultrawide and then set it up in segments so that the middle of the screen acts as its own monitor, and the same with the screen space on either side. But I'm going to need to upgrade my video card to get there, and probably need to upgrade my entire rig, as it's seven years old now, with only the video card, monitors, and hard drives having been upgraded since then. 

39 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

@Rofl_copter_dos @retrofade

I know you guys play PC so I thought I could get your opinion on something. I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, but I don't want to break the bank on some high end 4k one because my current rig can't handle it. I have a single monitor that's 1080 I got 6 years ago, but I'm looking to expand with 2 that are 1440. I like the 1440 monitors because of the high refresh rate and older video cares are able to keep up. I currently have a NVIDIA GTX 760, but looking to upgrade in the coming months. Do you guys have dual monitors, single, or extra wide? What's your take on the wide curved monitors? 

You're gonna spend a little more, but if you can find an affordable one with g-sync it really improves tearing.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, happycamper said:

d3 sux and you know it. 

Variant hardcore stuff on D2 is much better. I'm no sulla or sirian but that's kind of my mdoel when I play

On 12/11/2018 at 3:59 PM, retrofade said:

D3 certainly can't hold a candle to D2: LoD... but I can still get some enjoyment out of it if I'm playing with friends. 

Oh, and I don't know if I ever responded to toolsy on this subject, but I played D2: LoD hardcore on US-West... I had both a Necro (summoner) and a Paladin (Hammerdin). 

D2 was okay, but running cow levels was easy mode.

D3 is more difficult and has more content.  

I had a lot of fun playing both of them and the original was the best.

5 hours ago, retrofade said:

I run a 27" Curved Samsung as my main monitor, flanked by two ASUS 22" mounted vertically. All three of them are standard 1080p monitors, as I can't really run 4K on my GTX 980 Pro. My GTX 760 was able to run that setup without too much difficulty as well. I can't really speak to the 1440s though.

My next upgrade is probably going to be a 4K 34" ultrawide and then set it up in segments so that the middle of the screen acts as its own monitor, and the same with the screen space on either side. But I'm going to need to upgrade my video card to get there, and probably need to upgrade my entire rig, as it's seven years old now, with only the video card, monitors, and hard drives having been upgraded since then. 

5 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

You're gonna spend a little more, but if you can find an affordable one with g-sync it really improves tearing.

Cool deal, I've been looking around for the past few weeks and one of my buddies picked up a monitor with g-sync and he said he could really tell a difference. I was hoping I could be within my budget and get 2 new monitors, but I might just blow my wad on a really nice one and use my current monitor as the secondary since it's still in great condition. It's an ACER 21.5" LED I picked up at Costco 6 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

This is the one I'm currently looking at.

1751560706_FrysMonitor1.thumb.jpg.2eec198afcca340a7b7e4c1e3d921d73.jpg  

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

12 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Cool deal, I've been looking around for the past few weeks and one of my buddies picked up a monitor with g-sync and he said he could really tell a difference. I was hoping I could be within my budget and get 2 new monitors, but I might just blow my wad on a really nice one and use my current monitor as the secondary since it's still in great condition. It's an ACER 21.5" LED I picked up at Costco 6 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it.

Ya, that Asus rog I think is considered the best on the market.

I ended going with a Dell s2716dg. It's a tn vs IPS, but still looks great with a few tweaked settings.

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Guys, I don't game at all but I've always been curious, what's the difference between a "monitor" and a TV screen?

And why do serious gamers play on PC's vs gaming consoles?

In general monitors have much better input lag to decrease "ghosting" and have higher refresh rates for higher frames per second display and smoother, prettier play than tvs. PC's have much more "power" than consoles as well, with high end graphics cards and cpu they can actually process the high fps and resolution that the monitor will display. 

The problem with PC gaming and why it's so much more expensive is that  your overall display will be the lowest common denominator of your parts. So you have to have top of the line monitor, CPU, graphics card, ram, etc to even get top performance. For example if all your PCs performance can get you to 120 fps on 4k resolution, but you only have a 60 hz HD monitor, you are wasting your performance.

Sorry, kinda a ramble, but hopefully you get the gist.

49 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Guys, I don't game at all but I've always been curious, what's the difference between a "monitor" and a TV screen?

And why do serious gamers play on PC's vs gaming consoles?

PC ≠ video games and shdnt be allowed in this discussion

Real gamers play Nintendo games like Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc... In depth gameplay >>>>>>>>>>> tech specs

PC douches spend all their time tweaking their custom gay-mer PCs till the video card catches on fire. All so they can say they played battlefield 4k 60 frames per sec for a couple hours.

The main basic diff between monitor and TV is no antenna in  or cable in with monitors. You'd have to be a real tard to choose monitor over TV nowadays. Hence the popularity among pc ppl.

23 hours ago, Extra Mayo said:

PC ≠ video games and shdnt be allowed in this discussion

Real gamers play Nintendo games like Zelda Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, Mario Kart, Smash Bros etc... In depth gameplay >>>>>>>>>>> tech specs

PC douches spend all their time tweaking their custom gay-mer PCs till the video card catches on fire. All so they can say they played battlefield 4k 60 frames per sec for a couple hours.

The main basic diff between monitor and TV is no antenna in  or cable in with monitors. You'd have to be a real tard to choose monitor over TV nowadays. Hence the popularity among pc ppl.

Goddamn you are stupid. Games are games. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:01 PM, ridgeview2 said:

So I just read that Nvidia cards will supporting free sync monitors. If that's so you could save a lot of money on higher end monitors. Maybe something to look into

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-brings-g-sync-support-to-freesync-monitors/

I've been trying out a few different games recently, mostly on my PC.  One game I'm still trying to figure out is called Endless Space.  Its a turn based strategy game of finding and colonizing planets.  Not the most  exciting game though.  But another I like to play is called Subnautica.  Stranded on a primarily water planet and have to find things to survive.  A bit of a pain at times because you constantly have to get food and water.  Took me awhile to figure out how to find and build things but it has a good amount of stuff to do in it.  These are good non shooter type games.  

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

I've been trying out a few different games recently, mostly on my PC.  One game I'm still trying to figure out is called Endless Space.  Its a turn based strategy game of finding and colonizing planets.  Not the most  exciting game though.  But another I like to play is called Subnautica.  Stranded on a primarily water planet and have to find things to survive.  A bit of a pain at times because you constantly have to get food and water.  Took me awhile to figure out how to find and build things but it has a good amount of stuff to do in it.  These are good non shooter type games.  

Subnautica is one of the only games I've played that truly scared me. Some of those time when you go deep and have that intense music and hear a monster in the distance... Great game and atmosphere.