MWC Tex

Nevada State College

22 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Yes, we are underserved now, but our population is only recently 3 million+. If you go back a few decades our population matched our higher education offerings as it was half what it is now.

So, we just need to play catch up. Nevada up North is in the middle of its largest expansion in campus history and I'm sure UNLV is expanding as well. Nevada State College(soon to be Nevada State University?) will help bridge the gap.

You can take a couple off Ohio's hands. They overbuilt the +++++ out.of their system in the 60s and have a couple of 4 year universities (looking at you Akron) that are nothing more than a waste of resources that could be directed to other campuses. 

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

15 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Great Basin College in Elko is a 4 year school now. 

Lucky for you guys they don't have a football team. :P

5 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

I was going to mention Great Basin too, but wasn't sure if they actually are planning to become a predominantly 4 year school like the others. I remember they offered 3 or 4 different bachelor degrees related to, directly or indirectly, the mining industry. I haven't kept up in a few years though. Any plans to expand to an actual "University" type school?

has GBC gone all to 4 year degrees or only a few degrees and still a lot of 2 year degrees ?!?! Good to hear if GBC has taken a step up.

Always thought the state would benefit a rural community if they'd place a college out there somewhere..........I can see why Nevada State is in Henderson, due to it being close to 78% of the states population, but it would have been cool to see it located in Ely to bring some economic stability to an area that relies on boom/bust mining - Kind of like spreading the economy around a wider region of Nevada.

Basically when anyone talks "economic development" in Nevada they mean in the greater Las Vegas area or the Reno to Fallon to Douglas County triangle and the rest of the state is ignored - granted the infrastructure out in most of NV hinders economic development in lots of outlying areas 

4 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Lest you forget the prestigious Wongu University of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncture. Pretty glaring oversight on your part. 

Drove by Wong U last week 

https://wongu.org/

https://wongu.org/campus-virtual-tour   <<-- You know campus life is a blast when the "Campus virtual tour" is a 180 degree scan of their reception area of their office !!! 

5 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

I was going to mention Great Basin too, but wasn't sure if they actually are planning to become a predominantly 4 year school like the others. I remember they offered 3 or 4 different bachelor degrees related to, directly or indirectly, the mining industry. I haven't kept up in a few years though. Any plans to expand to an actual "University" type school?

I have no idea if they plan to expand to university level.  It would be nice if they did.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Just using Idaho as an example comparison...

Nevada has 8 public schools with a total attendance of 111,561 students vs. 8 public schools and 76,806 in Idaho. Nevada estimated 2017 population is 2.998 million where Idaho 2017 population estimate is 1.717 million.

So population to student ratio is 26.87 to 1 for Nevada and 22.36 to 1 for Idaho. So Nevada would need to gain 23,000 more students to get that same ratio Idaho has. So the expansion of these colleges is perfect and needed.

Nevada & Idaho were more equal in population when I was at U of Idaho - being from Nevada and at that time NV only had the 2 UN campuses and Idaho had their 3 universities - At that time the U of I and UNR were both right about 8,000 students and UNLV was a little over 10,000 

45 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

https://wongu.org/campus-virtual-tour   <<-- You know campus life is a blast when the "Campus virtual tour" is a 180 degree scan of their reception area of their office !!! 

That's a beautiful campus. 

52 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nice parking lot....looks like a new strip center.

3 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

That's a beautiful campus. 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

has GBC gone all to 4 year degrees or only a few degrees and still a lot of 2 year degrees ?!?! Good to hear if GBC has taken a step up.

Always thought the state would benefit a rural community if they'd place a college out there somewhere..........I can see why Nevada State is in Henderson, due to it being close to 78% of the states population, but it would have been cool to see it located in Ely to bring some economic stability to an area that relies on boom/bust mining - Kind of like spreading the economy around a wider region of Nevada.

Basically when anyone talks "economic development" in Nevada they mean in the greater Las Vegas area or the Reno to Fallon to Douglas County triangle and the rest of the state is ignored - granted the infrastructure out in most of NV hinders economic development in lots of outlying areas 

Great Basin offers 4 year degrees in:

“Bachelor Degrees including Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) are typically four-year programs preparing graduates for professional positions and graduate study”

Satellite campuses in the Mucc, Ely and Pahrump. 

6 hours ago, NVBlueNeck said:

Just using Idaho as an example comparison...

Nevada has 8 public schools with a total attendance of 111,561 students vs. 8 public schools and 76,806 in Idaho. Nevada estimated 2017 population is 2.998 million where Idaho 2017 population estimate is 1.717 million.

So population to student ratio is 26.87 to 1 for Nevada and 22.36 to 1 for Idaho. So Nevada would need to gain 23,000 more students to get that same ratio Idaho has. So the expansion of these colleges is perfect and needed.

You're including JCs in this. Nevada really only has 3 public schools (plus Great Basin, CSN, and WNC offer a few 4-year programs).

On 10/31/2018 at 9:37 AM, SDSUfan said:

Are there any private colleges or universities in Nevada?

Gorman.. :D

On 10/31/2018 at 3:30 PM, bigd said:

There was also talk of building a Mormon University in Moapa Valley. Not sure if that died out or not.

It did. But IIRC it wasn’t necessarily to be a Mormon University, although it was headed up by Dr. Larry Moses and several other Morman educators and businessmen. They gave it a good shot though. 

Nevada State College will officially be renamed 'Nevada State University'. It will add a new tier to the higher education system.

https://www.2news.com/news/nevada-state-college-set-to-become-nevada-state-university/article_e0975380-c1b7-11ed-876e-17e0f48a3990.html

They also just approved a public/private partnership to build an 8500 seat athletic facility on campus to use for youth programs and by the university. This article makes it sound like athletics will be added soon:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/education/nevada-state-college-continues-push-to-become-university-2710597/

The college continues to make progress toward exploring a pathway for offering athletics, Pollard said.

“We hope to have an announcement soon enough on the progress toward a potential athletics program here at Nevada State,” she said.

Morlon Greenwood Foundation wants to build the MG52 Center — an integrated athletic, special events and youth development center with an 8,500-seat capacity — on the college’s campus.

They would be a great fit in the WAC, but I'm sure they'll start out in the NAIA or Division 2/3.

It’s less expensive. It is in a safe area, which has more of a traditional campus feel to its location. I’m not sure I’d be so supportive of this if I were Vegas’ administration.

Regardless Nevada is getting the 3,500 kids from Clark county each year who want out of mom and dads basemen — but can’t afford ASU.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 1:59 PM, NevadaFan said:

It’s less expensive. It is in a safe area, which has more of a traditional campus feel to its location. I’m not sure I’d be so supportive of this if I were Vegas’ administration.

Regardless Nevada is getting the 3,500 kids from Clark county each year who want out of mom and dads basemen — but can’t afford ASU.

HEY! That isn't tr ... (looks in the mirror) ... Well, there aren't basements in Las Vegas.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, bigd said:

Nevada State College will officially be renamed 'Nevada State University'. It will add a new tier to the higher education system.

https://www.2news.com/news/nevada-state-college-set-to-become-nevada-state-university/article_e0975380-c1b7-11ed-876e-17e0f48a3990.html

They also just approved a public/private partnership to build an 8500 seat athletic facility on campus to use for youth programs and by the university. This article makes it sound like athletics will be added soon:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/education/nevada-state-college-continues-push-to-become-university-2710597/

They would be a great fit in the WAC, but I'm sure they'll start out in the NAIA or Division 2/3.

How long before NSU is better than UNLV in basketball, too?

On 3/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, NVGiant said:

How long before NSU is better than UNLV in basketball, too?

They should hire Dave Rice to start their program.

They already built a nice dorm with a pool, and a nice campus. If you live in Vegas why pay the extra money to go to UNLV unless they have a major that NSU doesn’t offer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, bigd said:

They should hire Dave Rice to start their program.

They already built a nice dorm with a pool, and a nice campus. If you live in Vegas why pay the extra money to go to UNLV unless they have a major that NSU doesn’t offer?

That would be hilarious 

College of Southern Nevada, part of our state higher education system, has enrollment approach 30k and has had enrollment as high as 44k.  It started as a community college  and has morphed now to offer some four year degrees.  We have a three tier college and university system and NSU is in the middle tier, so theoretically, it would enroll different students than UNLV would.

• Cheers 1