Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNLV Basketball

14 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Duuuuuude, youre not capable of picking on me.  

If youve lost interest in recruiting, then why are you commenting on it now?

Ethan will be a stud. There are no if's, ands or but's about it. Menzies track record with 4 star and up recruits is solid. Just because youre cynical, that doesnt mean youre right. You said they are ALWAYS going to be studs, but last I checked, I only mentioned Ethan Anderson. Please do not put your words into my mouth. Thanks!

"McCoy, a freshman from Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego, California, led all MW freshmen and was first on the team with a 15.4 points per game average in league play. The 7-foot forward ranked second in Conference play, pulling down 9.6 rebounds per contest. McCoy tallied 1.7 blocks per game and shot 51.6 percent from the floor. He is the first Runnin’ Rebel since 2014-15 (Rashad Vaughn) and fourth overall to be voted as the MW’s Freshman of the Year."

Freshman of the Year: Brandon McCoy, Fr., F/C, UNLV

mccoy.PNG

How is McCoy doing? I kind of forgot about him.

I hope the kid makes it, but like Zimm before him, I thought McCoy needed another year in school. Too soft and he needed to improve his footwork. Some of which may have come from just another year of playing at this level and growing into his body.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I hope the kid makes it, but like Zimm before him, I thought McCoy needed another year in school. Too soft and he needed to improve his footwork. Some of which may have come from just another year of playing at this level and growing into his body.

nah... I saw him play in high school, and wasn't impressed, he is what he is. However, the best thing that McCoy did for UNLV was committing to UNLV at that time. when we had a bunch of D2 players on our team, it didn't hurt to have a 5* player coming to Vegas.

16 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Agreed. Not meant to pick on quelish bit statements from that are SO common from UNLV fans.

The unknown and unproven recruits coming in are always going to be studs. ESPECIALLY if they have a lot of stars next to their names.  Cant tell you how many times i've heard...

"He's been one of our best players in practice."

"He dominated the competition in high school (or) he dominated NBA Player X in hs"

"USC, Nebraska and Florida St. Wanted him BAD."

I've lost a ton of interest in recruiting over the years cuz i'd rather watch the actual team play than constantly kicking the can 3 years down the road.

I’m on board with this. Recruiting rankings can be so over-emphasized by fans, especially when they get enamored by stars. when the quality of a class can’t truly be determined until years later.

Also, I always found it interesting that some UNLV fans now salivate over McDonald’s All-Americans and recruiting rankings. Tark was never a McDonalds All-American guy. I think Freddie Banks was his only one, and he was a local kid. But Tark was great at finding diamonds in the rough who were either under-recruited or had some off-court issues that scared away the blue bloods. He hit the transfer markets hard (LJ, Butler, Anthony, and Scurry — 4 of the top 6 in the NC rotation —were transfers), and typically landed the best JC players on the market.

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

McCoy is a great example of why the star system in recruiting is in itself overrated. McCoy was a good player as a freshman, but he was still just a freshman. Given another year or two to develop, he could’ve been a true difference-maker. But as a one and done, eh. He was of marginal help to the program. The best player on a flawed and mediocre team.

We see it at Nevada now with Jordan Brown. I’m really excited about his potential. But like almost every freshman, even the elite ones, his game is flawed and inconsistent now. If he were to leave after this year, I would probably have rather had a three- or four-star kid who will develop in the program, or a transfer who comes ready to go.

But that won’t win you many recruiting trophies.

Nope. I have seen Ethan play a handful of times and he is the real deal. Hes also built to last and not soft. Hes a legacy pg and program changing player.

I really dont know what you people are spouting off about.

McCoy came in and was an immediate force in the middle. He led the team in scoring. Mwc freshman of the year, and voted 2nd team all mwc in his first year of d1 ball.

What happened in the draft and after UNLV are completely irrelevant.

Plus, since Menzies ha been here, his 4 star and above recruits have all been immediate impact players. I was not talking about other coaches, other players or other programs. I mentioned Ethan Anderson specifically, and that was all I was talking about. 

You guys are off topic and going off on tangents.

31 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I’m on board with this. Recruiting rankings can be so over-emphasized by fans, especially when they get enamored by stars. when the quality of a class can’t truly be determined until years later.

Also, I always found it interesting that a some UNLV fans now salivate over McDonald’s All-Americans and recruiting rankings. Tark was never a McDonalds All-American guy. I think Freddie Banks was his only one, and he was a local kid. But Tark was great at finding diamonds in the rough who were either under-recruited or had some off-court issues that scared away the blue bloods. He hit the transfer markets hard (LJ, Butler, Anthony, and Scurry — 4 of the top 6 in the NC rotation —were transfers), and typically landed the best JC players on the market.

The game is different now then in those days. Juiston was a JUCO POY and MVP in the JUCO tournament. Can’t really get more accolades than that and he looked the part with McCoy next to him last season. But now he’s struggling because he’s being asked to take over McCoy’s role when he should just focus on his strengths such as cleaning up the glass and facilitating the ball. He’s a grinder not a playmaker. 

Back to your point, I like the recent recruits like Hamilton, Ntambwe, and Hardy. But we have too many projects on the team that need to pan out for there to be any team success. More quality players and less projects help with practices as well. 

Its funny that reno fans are talking down on UNLV recruits, but are currently enjoying a great deal of success with Caleb & Cody Martin. Two highly ranked 4 star recruits. And were very happy with the signing of Brown? Or whoever and are all geeked being in the running for a tyreek whoever from memphis? Or whatever. 

Come on reno. 

4 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Its funny that reno fans are talking down on UNLV recruits, but are currently enjoying a great deal of success with Caleb & Cody Martin. Two highly ranked 4 star recruits. And were very happy with the signing of Brown? Or whoever and are all geeked being in the running for a tyreek whoever from memphis? Or whatever. 

Come on reno. 

They're happy because they are winning with those recruits, not because of the recruits themselves. Big difference.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Just now, Rosegreen said:

The game is different now then in those days. Juiston was a JUCO POY and MVP in the JUCO tournament. Can’t really get more accolades than that and he looked the part with McCoy next to him last season. But now he’s struggling because he’s being asked to take over McCoy’s role when he should just focus on his strengths such as cleaning up the glass and facilitating the ball. He’s a grinder not a playmaker. 

Back to your point, I like the recent recruits like Hamilton, Ntambwe, and Hardy. But we have too many projects on the team that need to pan out for there to be any team success. More quality players and less projects help with practices as well. 

Definitely. JCs are not the same. LJ was sought-after in a way that no JuCO player today could rival. The D1 transfer market offers a closer comparison to the JC market back then. I don’t know if Menzies is the guy or not. But I think he is close on his recruitment. A couple of high-level transfers mixed in with the projects. 

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

A couple of high-level transfers mixed in with the projects

Not sure if you noticed, but Menzies is no longer signing transfers at this point. 

Zero transfers in the last two classes. So theres that.

9 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

They're happy because they are winning with those recruits, not because of the recruits themselves. Big difference.

Also they were happy and talking tons of smack when those guys signed and were in street clothes. Even before they were winning big because of anticipation and optimism.

You and several others are cynics and arr jaded based on past performances of other coaches and recruits. Some people dont seem to want anyone to be optimistic or have their own view of whats going on. But you cant steal my optimism. Im guarded, not jaded. I come to my own conclusions and I like the coaching and the recruiting.

I am optimistic about the incoming pg. I called Ethan Anderson a stud based on my own observations, and all these posts of recruiting pessimism are the result of that one statement.

Pretty funny, actually.

15 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Not sure if you noticed, but Menzies is no longer signing transfers at this point. 

Zero transfers in the last two classes. So theres that.

That’s why I said he was close.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s why I said he was close.

Its a big area of contention among Rebel fans. Some want Menzies to speed up the process with immediate impact transfers, but he seems averse to it.

Whatever he does, he needs to start winning big games next year or he could get canned.

34 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Also they were happy and talking tons of smack when those guys signed and were in street clothes. Even before they were winning big because of anticipation and optimism.

You and several others are cynics and arr jaded based on past performances of other coaches and recruits. Some people dont seem to want anyone to be optimistic or have their own view of whats going on. But you cant steal my optimism. Im guarded, not jaded. I come to my own conclusions and I like the coaching and the recruiting.

I am optimistic about the incoming pg. I called Ethan Anderson a stud based on my own observations, and all these posts of recruiting pessimism are the result of that one statement.

Pretty funny, actually.

No, nothing like the over the top optimism that comes out of Rebelmania. 

4 hours ago, ph90702 said:

People want to bash McCoy, but he averaged 17 and 10 as a freshman and went toe-to-toe with DeAndre Ayton.

Not bashing McCoy.. just saw his limitations defensively, and knew that he would need a lot of work before being NBA ready, and that his biggest asset to UNLV at that time would be from a recruiting standpoint. 

We hear the same stuff from UNLV fans every year about how talented they are and they fall flat on their face. I don’t care how much talent you have. If all five players are playing for themselves and a future NBA career the team is going to suck as the Rebels prove year after year. 

23 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

We hear the same stuff from UNLV fans every year about how talented they are and they fall flat on their face. I don’t care how much talent you have. If all five players are playing for themselves and a future NBA career the team is going to suck as the Rebels prove year after year. 

No one is saying that. Where are you reading this, exactly? Everyone here is saying the team is young, inexperienced and has a ton of projects. No one on the current roster, or even next years roster will even utter the letters NBA. This season and Menzies approach is all about building for the future. Many of us have huge questions about how the future will actually play out, and at least some of the bickering between Rebel fans is due to the talent level being a bit down and questions as to whether Menzies will be able to coach up this young bunch.

You guys are stuck in a time warp and its obvious outside fans are not paying attention to our program. UNLV is flying about as far under the radar as they ever have at this point. 

P.S. Hows boise looking this year?