thedude15

Why don't rich donors ever just buy home games for their schools

Say someone is making a 5 mil donation. Instead of donating that to a building or stadium renovation why not buy a home game. 

For example lets say USC or UCLA agrees to play a 0:1 @ Fresno for a 5 mil payday (a typical payday for the "marquee" preconference matchup hey play at NFL stadiums). To me that would be a very interesting way to make a large donation. Plus the school would likely get at least 1 mil of that donation back by increased ticket revenue (both for the individual game and season tickets). 

Sure you might also have to let the donor put their name on something but I am sure Fresno/other schools have plenty of building/fields/objects then can name.

I assume that by buying a home game you mean buying up all the tickets.

A donation would be set up in such a way as to be tax deductible.      Buying tickets wouldn't be tax deductible in most situations. 

7 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Say someone is making a 5 mil donation. Instead of donating that to a building or stadium renovation why not buy a home game. 

For example lets say USC or UCLA agrees to play a 0:1 @ Fresno for a 5 mil payday (a typical payday for the "marquee" preconference matchup hey play at NFL stadiums). To me that would be a very interesting way to make a large donation. Plus the school would likely get at least 1 mil of that donation back by increased ticket revenue (both for the individual game and season tickets). 

Sure you might also have to let the donor put their name on something but I am sure Fresno/other schools have plenty of building/fields/objects then can name.

Because most people in a position to donate $5M to a university probably have better priorities than pissing it away on what essentially would be a one time party.

• Like 6

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

5 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

You talking about what Paul George did for Fresno? That was cool. 

lots of us here don’t know the story... what did PG do?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

11 hours ago, thedude15 said:

Sounds like a waste of money.  Facility upgrades and endowment funding is much more an appreciated expense than getting a big name in the stadium.  Even the AD would likely rather it go elsewhere, like student athlete scholarship endowments.  

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see the comparative utility to other university or athletic department needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

That was cool really... was it a full arena for the game. Article says it was 2013.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

11 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

That was cool really... was it a full arena for the game. Article says it was 2013.

I was there and it was a nice atmosphere, but nothing to where it SHOULD have been. 

There was a time when basketball was bigger than football at Fresno State. Those days are long gone. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg