mugtang

Rank ‘Em

40 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Dude, I don't give a shit about Fresno State (other than the fact that they appear to be objectively better from a neutral party's perspective).  The point was that the tiebreaker should be based on division record first.  Utah State has the easiest conference schedule ever.  They play one team with a pulse (Boise State) and if they lose that game, they shouldn't be playing in the Conference Championship Game. 

This scenario played out in 2013.  Utah State beat up on a bunch of crappy teams and lost to Boise State (the worst Boise State team to take the field this century BTW) and went to the CCG because Boise had losses to San Diego and Fresno.  The tiebreaker rules need to be changed.

Also, I answered your question, so why not answer mine?

Tell me about Utah State's best win this CENTURY?  Is it one of the wins over an average BYU team or the 7 turnover win over Boise State?  When was the last time Utah State beat a P5 team that finished the season with a winning record?   

Hmm odd that Boise doesn't seem to make it to the MWC championship when they have the "easy" half of the west division weird. To answer your question USU doesn't have much in the way of "marquee" wins.

I think that is part of the problem of college football is the argument you are attempting to make of giving automatic preference to teams because they were good in the past. The only thing of relevance is the current year and maybe the past year. College team rosters usually change dramatically year to year, what does it matter if you went to the Fiesta bowl 5 years ago if no of those players are on the team still? Imagine in another sports league like say the NFL saying that the Eagles are a better team this year than say the Chiefs because the Eagles won a big game last year and when was the last time the Chiefs won the Super bowl? It is silly. 

I am not going to argue about that USU has a great track record of winning against some supposed big time team that sets the bar for what makes a team good.  You can only play the games you have, is it USUs fault that in large part the rest of the conference doesn't have winning records? I will be the first to admit that if USU comes up against a team with a solid defensive scheme and an offense that can actually score that USU might fall flat on their face, but for now I would wager the USU football team is happy to have people underestimate them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

I don't think so. I think you guys are probably pretty good. Just don't know because you haven't beat anybody. 

I agree.  And like NV,  they haven't been good long enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It's not that anyone hates them or even doubts they might be really good, they just don't have the track record of BSU, SDSU or Fresno.

If they keep playing well, win a bowl game and do well next year, they will make believers out of all of us.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Did we ever figure out why they are so hated?

Speaking for myself, it was because early on, there were a number of Aggies as annoying as the guy who used his wife's alma mater as part of his moniker to apparently try to cover up the fact that he teaches at a "university" whose campus is a converted K-Mart and is the only public "university" I've ever heard of where they teach woodworking. I'm not criticizing woodworking because it's an honorable profession but the only other schools of higher education I've ever heard of which teach that are community colleges. In other words, not only not schools offering graduate degrees as the term "university" connotes but not even "4-year colleges."

Thankfully virtually all of those d-bags left this board long ago. As such, I no longer have anything against USU as an entity.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree.  And like NV,  they haven't been good long enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.

It's not that anyone hates them or even doubts they might be really good, they just don't have the track record of BSU, SDSU or Fresno.

If they keep playing well, win a bowl game and do well next year, they will make believers out of all of us.

Agree 100% as an Aggie fan.  I'm not concerned about the distant past but what worries me is the recent past where Wells hasn't won a 7 point game since Nevada in 2015 when gimpy Chuckie Keeton came in late to save them and Fackrell recovered a fumble in the endzone.   I think USU needs to worry about beating Hawaii and finishing right and then they can go after their blue turf demons.  I also want Boise to win out so the game is to play in the MW championship.  No backing in on a loss like 2013.  They need to beat Boise straight up or they don't deserve to go.  While they found a way to win against Wyoming it was really concerning how the offense went askew when Wyoming got front 4 pressure and jammed our receivers with cover 2 help over the top.  No other team has got pressure from rushing 4 like that but I'm assuming Boise and Fresno's lines are comparable to Wyoming and their DBs are better.  The Aggies got to fix that.

USU's secondary also is a concern.  They play for broke and our good tacklers who cause TOs but they struggle in coverage, particularly over the middle,which has usually been an Aggie Strength.  Their corners don't look for the ball either and get flagged constantly.   I think they have to win a shootout in Boise and pressure Rypien into a couple bad decisions.  From watching the AFA game Boise's O-line just doesn't look as solid as it normally is.   They'll probably get that fixed but Tipa and the boys are gonna have to bring it.

44 minutes ago, bigron said:

Quick look shows that USU has wins over schools with a combined record of 14-36.  None with a winning record.  Best win is BYU which is 4-4. 

Nobody apart from SDSU and Nevada has a very formidable win. Boise has an argument with Troy, but I struggle with the notion that a team that lost to Liberty might be considered an impressive win. 

When it comes to victories per dollar spent on football, CSU has to be close to the bottom of college football.

Since THAT should be the metric for ranking MW teams, the Rams deserve to be at #12.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

Nobody apart from SDSU and Nevada has a very formidable win. Boise has an argument with Troy, but I struggle with the notion that a team that lost to Liberty might be considered an impressive win. 

Boise has no good wins this year. Only bad losses and wins that should be expected.   Scary thought for me is that Harsin/Rypien hasn't lost 3 games yet so which loss is it coming up?   I hope it's an egg to BYU so they can win out. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

When it comes to victories per dollar spent on football, CSU has to be close to the bottom of college football.

Since THAT should be the metric for ranking MW teams, the Rams deserve to be at #12.

I like it!

You know what this means..........

We're #1

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Boise has no good wins this year. Only bad losses and wins that should be expected.   Scary thought for me is that Harsin/Rypien hasn't lost 3 games yet so which loss is it coming up?   I hope it's an egg to BYU so they can win out. 

Yeah, that would suck, but if they were to only lose one more, that would be the best scenario. 

40 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Gunna re-address this post. The road win at 6-2 Troy is probably the best OOC win in the MW... and the best win overall outside of SDSUs win over Boise on the road. Fact is, there just isn't a lot to crow about when it comes to "good" wins. 

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Gunna re-address this post. The road win at 6-2 Troy is probably the best OOC win in the MW... and the best win overall outside of SDSUs win over Boise on the road. Fact is, there just isn't a lot to crow about when it comes to "good" wins. 

True but very sad. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."