bsu_alum9

MW XC Championships

2018 Mountain West Conference Cross Country Championships in San Diego, California.

Women's race has been dominated by New Mexico (back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back women's conference team champions).

This year Boise is ranked nationally at #2 in the coaches poll, with New Mexico right behind at #3.  Kurgat, Kelati, Prouse, from New Mexico finished 1,2,3 last year in this event, but will be pushed by Boise State's Ostrander.

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/6257279-2018-mountain-west-preview-boise-state-looks-to-snap-new-mexicos-streak

Men's race will likely be between Boise (#8 nationally), Wyoming (#13), CSU (#17), and AFA (#21).

Like the article says - the men's individual race is wide open.

• Like 1

I’ve been following CSU men’s xc since I was on the team and this is the most impressed I’ve ever been. The Rams are up to #10 nationally in the polls this week after finishing sixth at pre-nationals. Sounds like the conference championship race will be a dog fight this year. 

2 hours ago, Ram1554 said:

I’ve been following CSU men’s xc since I was on the team and this is the most impressed I’ve ever been. 

How important do you think the MW championshps are to the teams? With Regionals on 9th and NCAAs on 17th - does that mean some teams and individuals could be tapering hoping to peak for this race - while others may still in the heart of their training and not trying to taper until before nationals? Creating even more parity here? Or does everyone just go 100% all the time?

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

New Mexico with their 11th? or 12th? straight MW championship in the women's 6k.

Finished 1,2,3,9,18 to finish with 33 points.

Boise went 4,6,7,8,10 to finish second with 35 points.

image.png.1dda4c6be6603d62d8a452c6c90724f6.png

What a great race! Hopefully we're battling 1 & 2 for the natty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stchas said:

BSU is much improved.  That's got to hurt for BSU Cross Country fans.  So close.

It isn't so bad.  BSU is still on the upswing (men won, women took 2nd).  And being #2 in the country and losing to #3 by two points isn't that bad. If you throw in a deeper field (like at Nationals)  BSU may have even won given the positions the runners were in today.

Kudos to both the New Mexico and Boise State Women!  Those are two really great team performances.  I ran on an absolute powerhouse in high school and we had 6 of us finish in the Top 10 in our league meet.  I cannot imagine placing 5 in the Top 10 and losing as Boise did.