modestobulldog

Caravan?

18 hours ago, happycamper said:

Status quo seems to work pretty well. They fizzle out around 500 miles from the border, ending in a trickle of immigrants that amounts to a statistical blip over a couple days, where they ask for asylum and get accepted or rejected.

I mean, just them staying in a caravan makes it a lot easier to police them. How the f are you going to sneak in a couple thousand people? They're coming here for asylum, if anything, it makes sense to have US consular staff meet them in Mexico City, explain to them how the asylum process works so they are prepared and less likely to try to enter illegally. 

Hell we could probably bribe offer good faith incentives (yeah, that's the ticket!) to Mexico to accept the asylum offers of a big number of these guys. Bam, problem solved, and probably for pennies on the dollar of trying to enforce our own laws on them here. 

No they are not.  If they wanted asylum, they would be asking for it in Mexico.  Wouldn't it be much easier to stay in a country where you already speak the language?  Or are you saying that Mexico is a shytehole country?  They want to come to the US and have been coached what to say.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nomascows said:

No they are not.  If they wanted asylum, they would be asking for it in Mexico.  Wouldn't it be much easier to stay in a country where you already speak the language?  Or are you saying that Mexico is a shytehole country?  They want to come to the US and have been coached what to say.

Yes, they are. They're fleeing gang violence to come here. They want asylum here because we have the impression of being a lot safer than Mexico when it comes to drug violence, and because Mexico is a bit more authoritarian than we are when it comes to immigrants. 

I mean did you completely fail to read my last sentence? You got to the part you colored and fired off a comment as if the rest of the text is meaningless?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Yes, they are. They're fleeing gang violence to come here. They want asylum here because we have the impression of being a lot safer than Mexico when it comes to drug violence, and because Mexico is a bit more authoritarian than we are when it comes to immigrants. 

I mean did you completely fail to read my last sentence? You got to the part you colored and fired off a comment as if the rest of the text is meaningless?

Previous threads have already established Mexico is no more dangerous than the United States. It depends on where you live in Mexico or the US. 

More authoritarian? You mean browns are tougher on other browns?

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Previous threads have already established Mexico is no more dangerous than the United States. It depends on where you live in Mexico or the US. 

That is absolutely not true. Mexico has a far higher murder rate than the US. I weigh "probability of being murdered" as a lot higher than "probability of being vandalized" when it comes to "danger". 

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

More authoritarian? You mean browns are tougher on other browns?

Why even bother with this? I mean that the US and Canada are the two least authoritarian nations on the continent and that isn't exactly a controversial opinion.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

28 minutes ago, happycamper said:

That is absolutely not true. Mexico has a far higher murder rate than the US. I weigh "probability of being murdered" as a lot higher than "probability of being vandalized" when it comes to "danger". 

Why even bother with this? I mean that the US and Canada are the two least authoritarian nations on the continent and that isn't exactly a controversial opinion.

Again it depends where you live in each country. There are bad areas and safe areas in both countries. I thought Trump was authoritarian? 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought Trump was authoritarian? 

He is. The office of the president is also deliberately power limited in this less-authoritarian-than-a-recent-one-party-state USA. 

On 10/25/2018 at 1:18 PM, happycamper said:

Status quo seems to work pretty well. They fizzle out around 500 miles from the border, ending in a trickle of immigrants that amounts to a statistical blip over a couple days, where they ask for asylum and get accepted or rejected.

I mean, just them staying in a caravan makes it a lot easier to police them. How the f are you going to sneak in a couple thousand people? They're coming here for asylum, if anything, it makes sense to have US consular staff meet them in Mexico City, explain to them how the asylum process works so they are prepared and less likely to try to enter illegally. 

Hell we could probably bribe offer good faith incentives (yeah, that's the ticket!) to Mexico to accept the asylum offers of a big number of these guys. Bam, problem solved, and probably for pennies on the dollar of trying to enforce our own laws on them here. 

It's almost like it would be a good idea to have a good relationship with Mexico so they would be willing to help us out with this. Who could have known. 

As it is the caravan is still 900 miles away and has already lost more than half of its number. It's around 3000 now. By the time it gets to the border(if it does) it will be a couple hundred like you said and they will be stopped like other caravans and Trump will take credit for his tough talk and actions turning the invasion around. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, happycamper said:

He is. The office of the president is also deliberately power limited in this less-authoritarian-than-a-recent-one-party-state USA. 

The president is not power limited as long as he is supported by Congress and the Supreme Court.  What we have now is a president that is allowed to do as he pleases by Congress and a Supreme Court controlled by his political party.  

On 10/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, soupslam1 said:

Would you please give the racist crap a rest. No one gives a damn what color the invaders are. We just don’t want them overwhelming our schools, hospitals, social services, etc. without paying like the rest of us do. 

Burning the American flag and chanting +++++ Trump on the way up here doesn’t exactly make them good guests. How would you react if someone knocked on your front door and demanded you house and feed them and take care of their medical costs? 

Except many of them do pay the taxes that fund schools.   But carryon, no point letting facts get in the way of your story.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Except many of them do pay the taxes that fund schools.   But carryon, no point letting facts get in the way of your story.   

There are also many that are paid under the table in cash, pay no taxes normally withdrawn from your paycheck, and send the money back to Mexico. My in laws pay their gardener and maid that way, which is why they like illegals. 

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There are also many that are paid under the table in cash, pay no taxes normally withdrawn from your paycheck, and send the money back to Mexico. 

Some people are saying a lot  of Republican voters work on a cash basis, under the table, with no deductions for payroll taxes and use the money to buy goods from China.  So what?

13 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Some people are saying a lot  of Republican voters work on a cash basis, under the table, with no deductions for payroll taxes and use the money to buy goods from China.  So what?

Hey, if I have to pay taxes to support our schools and other government facilities, I expect others to do the same whether they are Republicans, illegals, or whomever. 

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Classic comment.  

In my opinion this whole caravan shit is paid actors funded by the Republican Party to get out the vote with their base.   Anyone else suspicious of the timing?

I agree,  presumably crisis actors.  Just a little too convenient. :hookah:

Posted Image

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

And they pay social security and Medicare welfare to MAGAs that they will never collect. 

• Like 1
Posted Image

15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

There are also many that are paid under the table in cash, pay no taxes normally withdrawn from your paycheck, and send the money back to Mexico. My in laws pay their gardener and maid that way, which is why they like illegals. 

Schools are largely funded by property taxes and sales taxes.