mugtang

This will change college basketball

I like Calipari's plan better.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25000108/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-coach-talks-nba-g-league-ncaa-eligibility

"I've got the solution," Calipari told ESPN on Tuesday. "The NBA, you want these kids in the G League, you want to do all this? Everyone that goes in the G League is guaranteed eight semesters of college education if you don't make it. You give them a signing bonus, you pay them. And then if they don't make it after two years, the NBA pays to have them on my campus. They have to sit out their first year, to prove they really want to be in college. So you can come to college, the NBA is gonna pay for it, for eight semesters. You come back, sit out a year to prove you really want to be in college, then you start playing and your clock starts."

Calipari added that if a player does go to college after fading out of the G League, he must stay at least two years. Along with the required sit-out year, each player would have a minimum of six semesters in college before being able to enter the NBA draft.

I honestly thought more players would go to Europe like the Ball brothers.  Not sure how much impact this is going to have.  How many guys are going to get $125k?  And is that any more than Kentucky boosters are paying them?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I like Calipari's plan better.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25000108/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-coach-talks-nba-g-league-ncaa-eligibility

I honestly thought more players would go to Europe like the Ball brothers.  Not sure how much impact this is going to have.  How many guys are going to get $125k?  And is that any more than Kentucky boosters are paying them?

I'm not surprised they haven't.

Going to Europe would suck.  They are interested in winning their league there, not in developing you so you can leave in 2 years and go back to the NBA.  I don't think the "going to Europe" plan is a good plan for anyone that wants to make it to the NBA.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Going to Europe would suck.  They are interested in winning their league there, not in developing you so you can leave in 2 years and go back to the NBA.  I don't think the "going to Europe" plan is a good plan for anyone that wants to make it to the NBA.

R.J. Barrett could have gone to Europe after high school, signed a 1-year deal for a million dollars (plus a shoe contract) and entered the draft next year.  Instead he's going to Duke for a year for room and board and a $60,000 one-year education where he'll have to take algebra and shit.  

I understand if you are just a mediocre D1 athlete.  But these superstars could live large in Europe if they wanted to.

Not going to be that significant to the NCAA.  There's not that many one-and-dones to begin with - 22 in last years draft.  14 went in the 1st rd, 4 in the 2nd, 4 undrafted.  And the NBA was already working on dropping the age requirement back to 18 by the end of the current CBA.  And the G-League does not intend to offer everybody who wants it a deal.  What will be significant is how far the NBA intends to go to make the G-League a true minor league along the lines of MLB.  One would suspect they dont intend to out-and-out challenge the NCAA (why give up a free feeder system?), but to make the G-League what is pretty much is now - a layer of development between college and the NBA.  But in the meantime, this is more PR move than a quantum shift.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Bronco22 said:

ACTUALLY i THINK IN THE LONG RUN IT EVEN THE PLAYING FIELD A LITTLE BIT MORE.

Why are you yelling?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, Bronco22 said:

Didn't mean too. Sorry

All good :cheers:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

11 minutes ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

I’m skeptical, I think this gives another option to top rated kids with eligibility concerns but I don’t think top guys will choose this over college

It seems that player agents will start getting involved and bribing players as sophs in HS.  Forget the eligibility part of this equation if money is involved.  And what is to stop agents from using money as a carrot and promising young HS players with 125K for two years right out of HS then on to a fat pro contract.  I can see the bribes now.   

On the other hand there is a group of elite HS players that would probably benefit from this plan.  Question is how many players does it scoop up every year?

• Like 1

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

1 hour ago, Hoser said:

And what is to stop agents from using money as a carrot and promising young HS players with 125K for two years right out of HS then on to a fat pro contract. 

1 year limit, then they go into the draft.  And once they sign with the G League the agents must be NBA certified. And the NBA is pretty tight about that.  Most of the AAU 'street agents' would get cut out.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 hours ago, RSF said:

1 year limit, then they go into the draft.  And once they sign with the G League the agents must be NBA certified. And the NBA is pretty tight about that.  Most of the AAU 'street agents' would get cut out.

I get the part of signing with the G league, but what about the two years before they become seniors and supposedly decide between College and the League?  It seems to me that money will start changing hands Soph and Jr years to the best of the young crop.  I just think money will always be available to entice young players to stick with a certain agent.  I like the one year thing, but what happens to the players in the G league that don't get picked up by an NBA team?  Do they get to stay in the G league and collect 125K per year, or are they swept out to make room for the incoming class?

• Like 1

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

$ 125k is chicken feed. Worse, it's a number that will look big for some kids and their families. It shoud be required of the NBA to provide a modicum of financial/ budgeting  information/ training to these kids.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke