lawofthejunglenv

Nevada vs Washington (Exhibition)

I’m not sure you can take much away from these exhibition games as coaches usually try a lot of combinations and limit minutes for guys they know what to expect. What Nevada should take from this game is they will have a target on their backs the whole year and road games will be very difficult. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Good lord Muss lays it on thick "we're one of the worst defensive teams in the country".

They were pretty bad but Washington was freaking unconscious from 3 in the 2nd half. Many of the 3's were well contested, didn't matter. 

Almost sounds (post game) like Muss' fake angry/acting tweet posts. He mentioned UW top players playing time 37 minutes, and just ragged on the D. Over the top **** talking. I may be way off but, sandbagging maybe? idk, just wondering. Either way, an *** kicking before season is what this team needs to stay grounded.

36 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Almost sounds (post game) like Muss' fake angry/acting tweet posts. He mentioned UW top players playing time 37 minutes, and just ragged on the D. Over the top **** talking. I may be way off but, sandbagging maybe? idk, just wondering. Either way, an *** kicking before season is what this team needs to stay grounded.

He's definitely done this before. I think I remember him saying similar things last season.

8 hours ago, thatsmymammy said:

Yeah he sounded kind of fake, I hope he wasn't serious because he really threw his players under the bus. I get trying to motivate by challenging, but this was a little over the top. Maybe a little more emphasis on how to fix it instead 'yeah, they have no lateral foot speed, we're going to have to play a zone.' (yes, I know, he's trying to light a fire.) But I actually believed him when he said he was never going to sub like that again. So apparently those guys got their one shot, based off bad coaching.

I will say Nisre, Henson (two new transfer guards shot 1-10) and the Martins didn’t look great to me. Now credit a lot of that to UW their zone along with Syracuse obviously are the two best in the country. Nevada might see a lot of zone this year but they won’t see one that good rest of the year.

Muss was obviously over the top, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did shorten bench to 7.5 guys against BYU. Porter only played 11 minutes and when he was in the game they shredded their Zone and actually went up 9 in the first half. 

Lastly I will say Muss hates zone himself but this team with length at all 5 spots would actually be pretty good defensively in the zone imo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigd said:

He's definitely done this before. I think I remember him saying similar things last season.

Oh you mean like this?  These quotes are eerily similar...

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/10/29/coach-musselman-were-severely-overrated-right-now-rips-pack-d-after-exhibition-win-over-stanislaus-s/811979001/

1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

I will say Nisre, Henson (two new transfer guards shot 1-10) and the Martins didn’t look great to me. Now credit a lot of that to UW their zone along with Syracuse obviously are the two best in the country. Nevada might see a lot of zone this year but they won’t see one that good rest of the year.

Muss was obviously over the top, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did shorten bench to 7.5 guys against BYU. Porter only played 11 minutes and when he was in the game they shredded their Zone and actually went up 9 in the first half. 

Lastly I will say Muss hates zone himself but this team with length at all 5 spots would actually be pretty good defensively in the zone imo

Nevada was down 5 at 14-9 when most of the starters took a seat and made their biggest run, and not surprisingly played their best defense of the night for about a 10 minute stretch with four subs, Jazz, the catalyst during that stretch, Henson, Nisre and Thurmon with one starter, Cody for awhile, I think, and ultimately Caroline, when that lineup really clicked. They went on a 23-11 run and looked as if they might bury UW. I don’t recall Porter playing much or at all in that lineup. When the starters returned to the floor, UW closed the gap.

The Huskies subbed in that stretch too, so you can’t really claim Nevada dominated their entire first team, but the defensive intensity was clearly much better with that group. Neither of the bigs supplied much rim protection on the countless dribble-drive layups, so I don’t know why Caleb would have felt any comfort in them backing up the perimeter defenders. Any way you slice it, the Pack has lots of work to do. 

• Like 1