jeremymauss

Mid-season All-Mountain West team

Over at MW Wire did an all-league team at the halfway point. We will have a few more pieces on surprises, disappointments over the next day or two so check those out if you'd like. 

Here is the list. There is a bit more info and other awards at the post itself.

OFFENSE

QB - Cole McDonald, Hawaii

RB - Lexington Thomas, UNLV

RB - Darwin Thompson, Utah State

C - Colby Meeks, Colorado State & Quin Ficklin, Utah State

OG - Tyler Roemer, San Diego State & John Molchon, Boise State

OG - Aaron Jenkins, New Mexico

OT - Ezra Cleveland, Boise State

OT - Ryan Pope, San Diego State

TE - Josh Oliver, San Jose State

WR - John Ursua, Hawaii

WR - Preston Williams, Colorado State

DEFENSE

DT - Kaimana Padello, Hawaii

DT - Durrant Miles, Boise State

DT - Carl Granderson, Wyoming

LB - Jeff Allison, Fresno State

LB - Tipa Galeai, Utah State

LB - Jahlani Tavai, Hawaii

LB - David Woodward, Utah State

DB - Anthoula Kelly, Fresno State

DB - Dameon Baber, Nevada

DB - Michael Sewell, Jr., New Mexico

DB - Parker Baldwin, San Diego State

• Confused 1

I don't understand the cognitive dissonance with how these things are handled in general.   You vote Fresno the top team in the league in your rankings, but omit their players.   Would that not imply they are being coached up better than the superior players of other teams?  How, then, are you not giving Tedford coach of the year?

MW media in general does head-scratching things like this every year.

• Like 6

As for the coaching award, the only two to get votes were for Nick Rolovich and Matt Wells. I am guessing voters went with who exceed expectations or overperformed which would make sense for Rolo and Wells getting the votes. As for the player awards, a lot of it is stats and that is probably how most voted. Fresno State had one real legit candidate at the skill positions with KeeSean Johnson and wide receiver is really deep. That is my guess as to how most voted.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, jeremymauss said:

As for the coaching award, the only two to get votes were for Nick Rolovich and Matt Wells. I am guessing voters went with who exceed expectations or overperformed which would make sense for Rolo and Wells getting the votes. As for the player awards, a lot of it is stats and that is probably how most voted. Fresno State had one real legit candidate at the skill positions with KeeSean Johnson and wide receiver is really deep. That is my guess as to how most voted.

I dont know about any SAN TE, but Jared Rice should be in any discussion

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

3 hours ago, jeremymauss said:

So basically... you're just soliciting votes, and not coming to a consensus between your contributors. Thanks for the clarification on the baffling selection method. 

36 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t know how Horton at CB is not on that list. He has returned three turnovers for TDs plus goes one on one against the opponents best receiver and wins the battle most of the time. 

That's a glaring omission. He has done that in only four games, also. 

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

can't speak for the others but Kelly is leading the nation in defended passes by a healthy margin.

Three defensive TDs in four games is a pretty insane number. I'd be surprised if anyone in the country has done that. There are only four TEAMS that have more defensive TDs this year.