Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
boisewitha-s

Reb High Fans

Recommended Posts

After year one I asked you guys how you felt about the hiring of a high school coach. You all were still on board.  

His buddy donated 7 million, nowhere near what was speculated on this board. You have paid Sanchez for 4 years and lost millions more because of horrible attendance and lack of donations to the program.  

What say you now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

After year one I asked you guys how you felt about the hiring of a high school coach. You all were still on board.  

His buddy donated 7 million, nowhere near what was speculated on this board. You have paid Sanchez for 4 years and lost millions more because of horrible attendance and lack of donations to the program.  

What say you now?

UNLV Football has been terrible for a long time, so how have they "lost millions"? 

Who else was in the Coaching candidate pool that would have brought in millions? 

Not defending Sanchez but I don't agree with you on that particular point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with Sanchez. :D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

UNLV Football has been terrible for a long time, so how have they "lost millions"? 

Who else was in the Coaching candidate pool that would have brought in millions? 

Not defending Sanchez but I don't agree with you on that particular point. 

Yeah, I’m with Rougue on this one. It’s not like some other hire would have brought them a ton of wins. They’re just a bad program. Sanchez or no Sanchez...wouldn’t have made a difference. At least they’re getting a football complex built out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

After year one I asked you guys how you felt about the hiring of a high school coach. You all were still on board.  

His buddy donated 7 million, nowhere near what was speculated on this board. You have paid Sanchez for 4 years and lost millions more because of horrible attendance and lack of donations to the program.  

What say you now?

For someone who spends so much time calling UNLV fans dumb, you're not looking to bright. 

UNLV hasn't lost money from poor attendance.  UNLV's attendance has always been consistently bad, and it is more or less the same under Sanchez as it was under Huck and Sanford.

Also, UNLV hasn't lost money from donations to the program.  If anything, UNLV has raised more money with Sanchez than almost any other football coach.  Sanford and Hauck were abysmal at fund raising, and Sanchez has blown them away.

With that said, I don't think Sanchez is a good football coach.  He tried to bring in experienced coordinators and ended up getting guys who were way over the hill. He has done a terrible job at recruiting quality quarterbacks, one of the most important positions on the team.  His team quit on him last year and they appear to be quitting on him again this year.  I think he should be gone at the end of the year, but UNLV will probably give him another year because we don't have the funds to pay his buyout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

UNLV Football has been terrible for a long time, so how have they "lost millions"? 

Who else was in the Coaching candidate pool that would have brought in millions? 

Not defending Sanchez but I don't agree with you on that particular point. 

 

40 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Yeah, I’m with Rougue on this one. It’s not like some other hire would have brought them a ton of wins. They’re just a bad program. Sanchez or no Sanchez...wouldn’t have made a difference. At least they’re getting a football complex built out of it. 

I’m going to have to side with Rogue and Triple T on this too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mugtang said:

 

I’m going to have to side with Rogue and Triple T on this too. 

The assumption that no matter who they hire it won't make any difference is false. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

They’re just a bad program. Sanchez or no Sanchez...wouldn’t have made a difference. At least they’re getting a football complex built out of it. 

Exactly this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Exactly this. 

This thinking is exactly why rebel football is so shitty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

The assumption that no matter who they hire it won't make any difference is false. 

 

Exactly.  If UNLV would have hired Chris Ault in 1994 instead of Jeff Horton, right now UNLV would be in the PAC-12 and playing in our own On-Campus Stadium.

Couldn't close the deal on that one.  Changed the Universities history.  Doesn't mean we can't get it right next time (next month).

If JRob never takes the Athletic Director position and Joe Haro doesn't get caught from behind @ Arkansas on August 30, 2001 the entire history of the program would have been changed.  UNLV likely would have went to a bowl game in 2001 which would have been back to back seasons and JRob's UNLV career would have turned out different.  Next time get it right.  Don't let a white kid play running back when you got Dominique Dorsey.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

The assumption that no matter who they hire it won't make any difference is false. 

 

You have to build a foundation first. Sanchez is doing that with Fertitta money. I truly believe that once that complex is built, then they’ll start to attract some better recruits, fire Sanchez, then the wins will start coming in. Shit, even Sanchez can win when he has a strong program to work with- look at what he did at BGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

You have to build a foundation first. Sanchez is doing that with Fertitta money. I truly believe that once that complex is built, then they’ll start to attract some better recruits, fire Sanchez, then the wins will start coming in. Shit, even Sanchez can win when he has a strong program to work with- look at what he did at BGH

Fertita money was 7 million.  That's nothing. Nowhere near worth whoring your football program out for a PE teacher. Hire a real coach, win games and 7 million is nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

You have to build a foundation first. Sanchez is doing that with Fertitta money. I truly believe that once that complex is built, then they’ll start to attract some better recruits, fire Sanchez, then the wins will start coming in. Shit, even Sanchez can win when he has a strong program to work with- look at what he did at BGH

When you get done running a train on tedford, lick your brains out his a$$ and realize that High School Sanchez was never going to be around for the new stadium or facility.  He was a babysitter while we are under construction.  He will not be invited to the grand opening.  Likely back fixing copy machines or selling printer paper in a month. Or A$$tecs may need a special teams coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

When you get done running a train on tedford, lick your brains out his a$$ and realize that High School Sanchez was never going to be around for the new stadium or facility.  He was a babysitter while we are under construction.  He will not be invited to the grand opening.  Likely back fixing copy machines or selling printer paper in a month.

Okay... I never made a prediction on how long Sanchez would be around. Was there even any indication that the Raiders were going to build a stadium when Sanchez was hired? You’re also completely wrong in your assumption that an NFL stadium will be a game changer for UNLV. Hint: You won’t be the first college team to play in an NFL stadium. A football complex is a different story.  Are you drunk? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Okay... I never made a prediction on how long Sanchez would be around. Was there even any indication that the Raiders were going to build a stadium when Sanchez was hired? You’re also completely wrong in your assumption that an NFL stadium will be a game changer for UNLV. Hint: You won’t be the first college team to play in an NFL stadium. Are you drunk? 

I'm pretty sure the UNLV Now stadium was still being planned at the time, though not sure if MGM had +++++ed UNLV by then or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

The assumption that no matter who they hire it won't make any difference is false. 

 

You made the assumption, I’m asking you to back it up. Who was  available, that would take the UNLV job that would have brought in millions?

You made the assertion and don’t seem to be willing (able?) to provide any confidence in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

For someone who spends so much time calling UNLV fans dumb, you're not looking to bright. 

UNLV hasn't lost money from poor attendance.  UNLV's attendance has always been consistently bad, and it is more or less the same under Sanchez as it was under Huck and Sanford.

Also, UNLV hasn't lost money from donations to the program.  If anything, UNLV has raised more money with Sanchez than almost any other football coach.  Sanford and Hauck were abysmal at fund raising, and Sanchez has blown them away.

With that said, I don't think Sanchez is a good football coach.  He tried to bring in experienced coordinators and ended up getting guys who were way over the hill. He has done a terrible job at recruiting quality quarterbacks, one of the most important positions on the team.  His team quit on him last year and they appear to be quitting on him again this year.  I think he should be gone at the end of the year, but UNLV will probably give him another year because we don't have the funds to pay his buyout.

Pretty much agree with most of this 

1) UNLV isn't losing millions, if anything it's treading water or even ahead due to new donations 

2) Attendance for UNLV peaked in the 1979 to 1985 era where crowds of 20,000 to 25,000 weren't uncommon. Granted attendance is down, but it's been declining a few hundred each season since John Robinson's tenure but if you want hard numbers that's a "paid" drop of about 6,000 tops from around 20K to 14K (low point this season)

3) The program is positioned better than it probably ever has - Facilities are new and upgrades have been in the works for at least 10 years. If you throw out the W-L record, I'd put UNLV's facilities on par with any MWC team 

4) Sanchez - His W-L record isn't great like every UNLV FB coach since Harvey Hyde & Tony Knapp (during D-1 era) so the bar is low as far as how Sanchez measures up to his predecessors since 1986, but Sanchez has made the attempt to make UNLV a "community" program unlike any preceding coach and that is a hard sell that few if any previous HC's even attempted to try.

5) The "UNLV factor" where anything can and probably will go wrong at some point during the season is just as common as summer heat - It's happened to every coach who followed Tony Knapp from 1982 on. Just count on something going haywire at some point during the season as a UNLV FB tradition - If there's one thing that no coach has solved it's this phenomenon of something looking better and then BAM, the whammy strikes. For example UNLV hasn't had a QB start an entire season in 22 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

You made the assumption, I’m asking you to back it up. Who was  available, that would take the UNLV job that would have brought in millions?

You made the assertion and don’t seem to be willing (able?) to provide any confidence in it.

There are numerous examples of programs outside of the G5 making good hires and turning around programs. How much money do you think an extra 10k fans at home games is worth?  Ucf, usf, temple, Houston, Memphis, northern illinois, uconn, fresno come to mind as programs with similar facilities and budgets that have at some point in the past been able to make good hires and turn their programs around. 

But Unlv is incapable apparently and should be happy with anybody. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it has a lot to do with the high school football in the city. As a whole high school football in Vegas sucks. But they should be better then this with California next door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

There are numerous examples of programs outside of the G5 making good hires and turning around programs. How much money do you think an extra 10k fans at home games is worth?  Ucf, usf, temple, Houston, Memphis, northern illinois, uconn, fresno come to mind as programs with similar facilities and budgets that have at some point in the past been able to make good hires and turn their programs around. 

But Unlv is incapable apparently and should be happy with anybody. 

You’re right that UNLV could have made better hires, but our administration has continually and consistently shit the bed. This has nothing to do with the intellectual capacity of the fans and everything to do with an administration that is so ass backwards that it is hard to believe they haven’t run the entire university into the ground.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×