UNLV2001

Darned cold

I was in Fairbanks, Alaska in mid-October in 2015 and it was already snowing with temps in the single digits. Now that's c,c,c,c,cold for mid-October. This is why I live in sunny SoCal and only visit the Brrrr places on occasion. B) Shuttle van warming up to take us to the airport. *We saw the Aurora Borealis, so it was well worth it.  

RT8AiuJPWTnqD-HSmcoQ2mTG9XSEjiNfyD6_GdBuXx5gssZSiClrahO1_v9OKuhVfZMRbOFChjkPwXH7-ARiBCXAl2Ec-BAonuXsPz9hMlCUYyE012qZllT6JwujCWEh7kaJJSa-HI6s9kvmGTggIESZaHJ-tqDD3e_nzrjI_tYgIot4L6vkLDdDaUVBD3MhnhwKrO_qUyRnsWZDbbNbc4XoVMzZ7cpNcoXn8rCrtRna0wEyLUDyo4uO9vGnxZmaJwCKOEjVJ3rP3EakcgIrzoXhvV-__BRbM0F2fE0Ep4WVJ-qxjr1gHzvBilK6-4g-YOARBmSQXZkXXiTsLu-YHgHk3P3CblW-8vgUlAK4iER_CR8ktfClotHObAzl11cxLMVTc51r_ZGGVO6h9b-hMWIWoqsIU7dXORrQWJFdsnump_j8mKVEdOQ4MasIaAvYr6cPF7ANCaa3qoX5Aw7VZLYEHfw_LR2-xI5wkOO4bP-1mRvEZxzqwbVOIQRUaBxxPMwx4sirGxWTrH6YkYsXA45BcC_ZCfi4K8noli9X2vgxNQhzm6Dja_0b8WLV2_-rl1I8RjmxBkibKcce92MJ3wEcLfZPKpdbGbT1bgcPaCUHl40XZoj05mXpmf-bnYRc=w893-h666-no

14 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

yeah, I actually had to put on a jacket this morning, lol, it was 49 out here. but the wind..

These "Nanooks of the North" on this board don't realize how 75 feels downright chilly after a run of 100 or so of 100+ degree days and nights :foottap:

The breezes today were a bit chilling - I have to be at a 7:30 am meeting tomorrow and might have to wear heavier clothing as it will probably be in the 60's until 10 am :(

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

yeah, I actually had to put on a jacket this morning, lol, it was 49 out here. but the wind..

Short sleeves and shorts weather.

I had to laugh when some local native told me very seriously that I needed to get a big coat on because water might actually freeze that day.  Like that would be a disaster level event.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

• Like 1

I can't wait for a huge snowfall and drag out the snowblower.  I got this 3 stage blower that will blast snow 40 feet into the air.  There was a moose in the back yard yesterday.  I'll cover her with blanket of snow if she +++++s with me this winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

These "Nanooks of the North" on this board don't realize how 75 feels downright chilly after a run of 100 or so of 100+ degree days and nights :foottap:

The breezes today were a bit chilling - I have to be at a 7:30 am meeting tomorrow and might have to wear heavier clothing as it will probably be in the 60's until 10 am :(

Oh bullsh-t. I lived in LV for almost twenty years. 75 felt just fine. 100+ felt miserable. Hell, I kept my house in LV at about 65 most of the year. There were several years where I never even donned a jacket...

• Like 2

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

6 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Oh bullsh-t. I lived in LV for almost twenty years. 75 felt just fine. 100+ felt miserable. Hell, I kept my house in LV at about 65 most of the year. There were several years where I never even donned a jacket...

I lived in Las Vegas for 10 years and unless it was a special event I wore shorts and short sleeves every day.  It hardly ever even got below 50 during the day and that is fine weather.

72 is considered the perfect temperature for humans.

From google

As a medical definition, the range generally considered suitable for human occupancy is between 15 degrees Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit) and 25 °C (77 °F), though human comfort can extend beyond this range depending on humidity, air circulation and other factors.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Short sleeves and shorts weather.

I had to laugh when some local native told me very seriously that I needed to get a big coat on because water might actually freeze that day.  Like that would be a disaster level event.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Yep.. when I lived in Rock Springs, there was ONE day when the wind wasn't blowing. It was 23 degrees, and we were all in short sleeves. We thought it was sun bathing weather, lol.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I lived in Las Vegas for 10 years and unless it was a special event I wore shorts and short sleeves every day.  It hardly ever even got below 50 during the day and that is fine weather.

72 is considered the perfect temperature for humans.

I like it a little warmer, 78 and sunny is my favorite.See the source image  It's been called Chamber of Commerce weather in San Diego. B)

• Like 2

It rained here last weekend. I got wet sitting at the stadium. Wasn't sure I was gonna make it. 

I have PTSD now. Curled up in the fetal position when my wife turned on the shower this morning.

• Haha 4

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

15 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yep.. when I lived in Rock Springs, there was ONE day when the wind wasn't blowing. It was 23 degrees, and we were all in short sleeves. We thought it was sun bathing weather, lol.

It isn't Wyoming cold in Northern Nevada but it can get cold.

I was probably 17 or so and we were trapping muskrats which is something you do in December, January and February.  It entails going out in the swamp every morning before light so you can check your traps and get back for school.   So it can be miserable cold, below zero and windy.  Plus you have to get in the water to get the muskrats who are like frozen ice cubes and reset the traps.   

As in your example one day in February when the sun was out and it seemed really warm.  We took our clothes off and dove through the 8th inch of ice and swam around to cool off.   It was very comfortable to us.  If I did that now days I would die.   Nothing is as tough as a teenager.   Especially if you have spent your life outdoors.

On the other end of the spectrum when I lived in Vegas, I would go down to Sunset park and play basketball all day on Saturdays.  Sometimes it was well over 110 and that didn't bother me either.    I couldn't even comfortably sit next to that court today.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

It's was a high of 45° here in northern NM today and we had a little snow this morning. Tomorrow morning will be in the low 20's so I better bring my dog in for the night. 75° is shorts weather.

26 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

It isn't Wyoming cold in Northern Nevada but it can get cold.

I was probably 17 or so and we were trapping muskrats which is something you do in December, January and February.  It entails going out in the swamp every morning before light so you can check your traps and get back for school.   So it can be miserable cold, below zero and windy.  Plus you have to get in the water to get the muskrats who are like frozen ice cubes and reset the traps.   

As in your example one day in February when the sun was out and it seemed really warm.  We took our clothes off and dove through the 8th inch of ice and swam around to cool off.   It was very comfortable to us.  If I did that now days I would die.   Nothing is as tough as a teenager.   Especially if you have spent your life outdoors.

On the other end of the spectrum when I lived in Vegas, I would go down to Sunset park and play basketball all day on Saturdays.  Sometimes it was well over 110 and that didn't bother me either.    I couldn't even comfortably sit next to that court today.

Oh man you conjured up memories of when I used to go to school in a muscle shirt during zero degree weather. The things we did as teenagers... But we lived through it no helmets, seatbelts, or participation trophies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2