Guest #1Stunner

Boise throwing the cash at Bryan Harsin

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/ncaaf/boise-state-football/boise-state-proposing-new-incentive-based-contract-for-harsin/277-604494019

Also, good news.   Looks like Boise and BYU will continue to play for a long time.

Under the proposed deal, Harsin’s base pay structure would not change. However, he could potentially earn a maximum of $1,185,000 in incentives, up from a maximum of $475,000 as detailed in his previous agreement.

Base Pay:

• 2018 - $1.45 million

• 2019 - $1.55 million

• 2020 - $1.65 million

• 2021 - $1.75 million

• 2022 - $1.85 million

New incentives now include additional compensation for a win over BYU at home ($10,000) and on the road ($15,000).

And every time the Broncos beat a Power 5 opponent, Harsin will receive a $25,000 bonus.

I don't know what to think about Bryan Harsin, tbh. 

It's clear that the true Boise glory days are gone, but half the time i think Harsin's doing an excellent job maintaining what pete built and half the time it seems like any competent coach could walk in at boise and stumble to 10 wins and an end of year ranking.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

It's clear that the true Boise glory days are gone, but half the time i think Harsin's doing an excellent job maintaining what pete built and half the time it seems like any competent coach could walk in at boise and stumble to 10 wins and an end of year ranking.

Yeah.  He over-performs in recruiting...under-performs on the field.  There should be some improvement in the next two years.  This years team lacks discipline and is a couple good players away from being NY6-bowlish good. 

I'm not going to be on the fire Harsin bandwagon unless he takes Boise to 6-6 or worse.  Up and downs are inevitable in college football - even Pete went 8-5 in his last season here.  Boise is getting a pretty good deal for $1.5M and a guy that isn't going to be out the door for bigger and better in two years.  

some other incentives include:

Mountain West Conference win incentives

• 6 MW wins = $25,000
  • 7 MW wins = $25,000
  • 8 MW wins = $50,000
  • TOTAL = $100,000

The proposed contract also includes new academic incentives. If the team posts an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 990 or better, Harsin could earn an additional $70,000.

APR Incentives

• 955+ = $25,000

• 975+ = $20,000

• 985+ = $15,000

• 990+ = $10,000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

How do you figure that, an extension has not been named and our schedule is locked up after this home and home agreement ends.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah.  He over-performs in recruiting...under-performs on the field.  There should be some improvement in the next two years.  This years team lacks discipline and is a couple good players away from being NY6-bowlish good. 

I'm not going to be on the fire Harsin bandwagon unless he takes Boise to 6-6 or worse.  Up and downs are inevitable in college football - even Pete went 8-5 in his last season here.  Boise is getting a pretty good deal for $1.5M and a guy that isn't going to be out the door for bigger and better in two years.  

some other incentives include:

Mountain West Conference win incentives

• 6 MW wins = $25,000
  • 7 MW wins = $25,000
  • 8 MW wins = $50,000
  • TOTAL = $100,000

The proposed contract also includes new academic incentives. If the team posts an Academic Progress Rate (APR) of 990 or better, Harsin could earn an additional $70,000.

APR Incentives

• 955+ = $25,000

• 975+ = $20,000

• 985+ = $15,000

• 990+ = $10,000

Wasn't this THE year for Boise? I know that Boise will have a senior-heavy team next year, but I can't see how they are expected to get better after losing five starters on offense, including the QB and two receivers, three of their best players on defense, and their punter and kicker. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

He's still learning how to be a CEO.  Still micromanages too much on O from what I hear and still is hesitant to take blame when the wheels fall off.   He'll be a real good head coach someday, he's decent to pretty good now but he needs a powerful OC that tells him to be head coach and stay away from the O.  

The best HC's are mediocre if they do not have quality coordinators or micromanage the ones they have. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Wasn't this THE year for Boise? I know that Boise will have a senior-heavy team next year, but I can't see how they are expected to get better after losing five starters on offense, including the QB and two receivers, three of their best players on defense, and their punter and kicker. 

That’s all every donk on this forum would write about...how they return so many starters from last year and they’ll be better because of that.

They won’t be better next year, after all, they lose the best player in the MWC...oddly enough, the backup to that guy hasn’t been impressive either. I wonder how many picks he will toss next year?

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

21 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Some felt that way because of last year's finish.  But every year that Rypien has been the QB the Broncos lose 3 games and the losses are always head scratchers.   I think they're potentially better next year when Rypien is gone (if Cord heals up in time or someone else steps into the role at QB).     They have no spark on O when they lose and it starts with Rypien IMO. 

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Some felt that way because of last year's finish.  But every year that Rypien has been the QB the Broncos lose 3 games and the losses are always head scratchers.   I think they're potentially better next year when Rypien is gone (if Cord heals up in time or someone else steps into the role at QB).     They have no spark on O when they lose and it starts with Rypien IMO. 

I suppose, but is there a basis upon which you suppose that Cord (or another guy) will be better than Rypien? Boise returns a lot on defense but the players you do lose, including Horton, Miles, and Frazier, are all high-impact guys. 

I think Boise's record will almost certainly improve because it will miss SDSU and Fresno State (FS loses a lot this year too), but I'm not sure that the talent will upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

I suppose, but is there a basis upon which you suppose that Cord (or another guy) will be better than Rypien? Boise returns a lot on defense but the players you do lose, including Horton, Miles, and Frazier, are all high-impact guys. 

I think Boise's record will almost certainly improve because it will miss SDSU and Fresno State (FS loses a lot this year too), but I'm not sure that the talent will upgrade. 

It depends.  Like you said above, "this" year was supposed to be "the" year.  But the saying that you are only as good as your weakest link appears to be true for Boise this year.  Opposing teams ability to dominate the entire center and right side of our offensive line has become a major weakness.  

Next year the defense should again be one of the best in the MW if guys recover and return. 17 of the top 20 leading tacklers aren't seniors (and Moa may return for 6th season).

The offense will be a big question mark.  4 OL will return though, and Mattison probably back too.  Enough depth at WR - Evans, Shakir, and Hightower (Evans has been hurt this entire year) will all be here and could be better than Modster/Richardson have been this year.  TE's should be improved (pretty bad in all facets this year). QB will be interesting - Chase Cord tore his ACL last week, so he may not be ready all summer.  That leaves two predominantly running QBs and a true freshman speedy pro style guy (4* rated #7 QB in HS).

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

How do you figure that, an extension has not been named and our schedule is locked up after this home and home agreement ends.

What do you mean locked up?  I'm not following.

You are right, no announced extension yet, but it still goes on for a while.

EDIT:

Are you referring to 2024, when Boise has 12 games scheduled?  Not a problem.  Still room for BYU.

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

I’ve made no secret that I feel Boise deserves better than Harsin, so Im going with the second half of your last sentence. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What do you mean locked up?  I'm not following.

You are right, no announced extension yet, but it still goes on for a while.

EDIT:

Are you referring to 2024, when Boise has 12 games scheduled?  Not a problem.  Still room for BYU.

Or we could just buy out that road game to a Sun Belt team in Georgia in August?

furthermore, do you guys ever go to a public establishment that sells alcohol under license from the state, and this brick and mortar location has an elevated dais (or bar, if you will) where the alcohol is dispensed by the person who is attending the bar?  i've heard of people doing that.

4 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

They're still winning at a great rate.

He'll have a job as long as he keeps winning conference titles and 9+ games per year.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

boise and byu are very difficult to differentiate for me.  so many mormon fans in both fanbases.  i also hear that boise state fans don't like alcohol.

There is for sure some cross-over, with cousins, aunts, uncles, inlaws.   Some extended family.

If you were to call a "family meeting", the consensus family tree between schools looks like this:

COUSINS:

BYU

Boise

Hawaii

BROTHERS:

USU

BYU

STEP SIBLINGS

UTAH (troubled youth, taken in by the family, and who has a drinking problem, and a criminal record)

BYU / USU

Am I missing someone?

Basically, BYU, Hawaii, USU and Boise should all be playing each other very frequently.