namssa

SDSU West leading big

47 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If they model the new stadium after CSU's, I hope they are smart enough to model one of the end zones after the New Belgium Porch in Fort Collins.  Incredible fan experience combined with an improved revenue stream is a win-win.

An Arrogant Bastard Balcony accessed by way of the Stone Stairwell? I'm down. And suddenly thirsty.

• Like 3

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If they model the new stadium after CSU's, I hope they are smart enough to model one of the end zones after the New Belgium Porch in Fort Collins.  Incredible fan experience combined with an improved revenue stream is a win-win.

You better hope your new stadium doesn’t have the same effect on your football team as it did for CSU. Their football team rarely sees the end zone so all they have to do is drink. That is their revenue stream. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

You better hope your new stadium doesn’t have the same effect on your football team as it did for CSU. Their football team rarely sees the end zone so all they have to do is drink. That is their revenue stream. 

Seems about the same we have seen out of CSU the last 15-20 years.  :shrug:

11 hours ago, the former 1066 said:

MSL will not permit teams to play in a stadium which is the home of a college football or pro football team. The only exception is the two early teams that joined at the founding of the league. They are grandfathered in. Cincinnati was added to MLS this year and told they had two years to build there own stadium and not play at the U of C Nippert stadium after the two years. This was unfortunate as the MLS Cincy stadium will only seat 26,500 and Nippert seats 40K.

Incorrect.  Houston Dynamo and Tx Southern share BBVA Compass Stadium.  And Atl United and the Falcons share the new Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Same thing in Seattle with the Sounders and Seahawks.  Toronto and Vancouver as well. None are early teams.  NYCFC shares Yankee Stadium, and has no stadium of its own on the horizon.  The only original MLS team that shares its stadium is New England.

• Like 3

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSUfan once said on AztecMesa that he's an aerospace engineer. I worked for a year and a half as an administrative analyst for an aerospace firm where I frequently interacted with such employees. As another admin analyst I worked with once said, when it comes to prima donas, aerospace engineers put lawyers to shame.

I’m convinced he wasn’t hugged enough as a child. 

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

8 hours ago, Monty93 said:

So very, very true.  In addition, I'll set the over/under on lawsuits against the project at 3 1/2.   

There will definitely be lawsuits, as there were for Viejas. You just have to allow for that in the schedule. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

43 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

There will definitely be lawsuits, as there were for Viejas. You just have to allow for that in the schedule. 

Can't wait for the obstructionists to then question why things are taking a while.  You know Pudgy and Parks are going to be commenting on it.

12 hours ago, RSF said:

Incorrect.  Houston Dynamo and Tx Southern share BBVA Compass Stadium.  And Atl United and the Falcons share the new Mercedes Benz Stadium.  Same thing in Seattle with the Sounders and Seahawks.  Toronto and Vancouver as well. None are early teams.  NYCFC shares Yankee Stadium, and has no stadium of its own on the horizon.  The only original MLS team that shares its stadium is New England.

This past summer the Mayor of Cincinnati and Commish of Hamilton County discussed this with the commissioner of the MLS. When the MLS commish came to town in August to grant the new franchise to Cincy he said on television that had the FCCincinnati bid been received without a promise of a new soccer only stadium there would be no franchise granted. He explained that it was MLS policy that a college or pro football or other sports team would not  be granted without a separate  soccer only stadium. I will attempt to look up the press conference and the interview with the Ham. County Commish in the Cincinnati Enquire. I hate to look at that pathetic leftist rag especially since they are charging a higher price now for searching them on the web. However I think it would be worth doing. Will get back to you today if I can.

Years ago when I lived in San Diego we had a minor league soccer team. I can not remember the name of that team but I do remember they played in a high school stadium. Does anyone remember that teams name? They were only around 2 or 3 years.

RSF,

Despite statements by politico's and the soccer team officials and MLS officials I have found an article in PoliticalX which is a sort of supplement thrown into the local paper every few weeks or when ever they want to do it which basically agrees with what you have said concerning MLS and NFL stadiums. Apparently the MLS has a rule to which they will grant exceptions when they please. I am going to message you the shortened version of the article I read. It mentions Seattle, NY, NE etc. 

Sent 8:47 AM Eastern

RSF ....I am leaving the letter here as I could not message you. I have also left a note on your previous post.

RSF ............... WHY DON'T YOU HAVE MESSAGING?

Here is the article I said I would message you:

PX: Why didn't Major League Soccer make an exception for FC Cincinnati?

Armed with $51 million in taxpayer money for new stadium infrastructure, FC Cincinnati President Jeff Berding is set to make the club's “pick-us” pitch to Major League Soccer on Wednesday in New York.

Detroit business leaders also will be there in hopes of their city being picked for one of two expansion bids that MLS will award later this month. Motor City officials didn't need to secure a dime in public money for a new stadium.

Their downtown NFL stadium was good enough for MLS to name Detroit one of four finalists along with Cincinnati, Nashville and Sacramento.

We get Paul Brown Stadium not working, considering it's too big and the complexity of the Bengals deal. But we're left to wonder whether Berding did absolutely everything he could to exhaust Nippert as an option before pursuing public money for a new stadium.

MLS prefers soccer-specific stadiums located in the urban core, but there are enough exceptions for FC Cincinnati to make a strong case to stay at Nippert.

In addition to having two viable stadiums, Cincinnati is home to the worst public stadium deal in American sports history. MLS needed to cut us some slack for that.

MLS might have made an exception for Detroit because it’s a major TV market. The league also might have included Motown simply as a courtesy to billionaire owners Dan Gilbert, Tom Gores and the Ford family. MLS wants their money, but it’s possible the league will take a pass on Detroit this time and request the owners create a stadium plan for the next round of expansion. (nb That exception was not made and Detroit was not extended an invite but might be in the future.)

MLS was fine with its Atlanta expansion team sharing a new stadium with the NFL franchise. Arthur Blank owns Atlanta's soccer and football teams. MLS is fine with the Seattle Sounders playing in the NFL stadium. Seattle’s teams also have the same owner. Further, the league seems cool with its Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia teams playing in "home" stadiums way out in the suburbs.

Market size is important, but it's tough seeing it being a deal breaker. The league's attendance is trending upward, but TV ratings lagged this year. Hence, the stadium grab. Mexico's top pro soccer league has higher TV ratings in the United States than MLS. In the era of cord-cutting, we've probably seen sports TV contracts already top out.

Cincinnati's strong attendance figures help to make up for its smaller market size. FC Cincinnati averaged 21,199 fans per game at Nippert this year. If FC Cincinnati were in MLS, the club would've ranked eighth in attendance. Last season, FC Cincinnati's first ever, the club averaged 18,808 fans. That would've been good enough for 15th in MLS. 

12 hours ago, RSF said:

RSF please check my post below per the stadium and MLS issue, thanks

14 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

The Mayor of San Diego, an Aztec for Life

HARDLY.

He wanted to negotiate directly without Public input for Sucker City. He is a weasel to put it mildly.

• Like 1

Nippert doesnt fit their requirements.

what MLS wants is control of the money.  They dont want their teams to be mere tenants.  They also want all the bells and whistles (and the revenues that go with it) that come with the more modern stadiums.  Nippert doesnt meet any of those requirements.  The new stadium will (as is also true in Miami and Nashville, where there are similar stadiums to Nippert available).  But, all the other situations I cited do - the Dynamo in the operator of BBVA Compass, and Tx Southern is the tenant.  Seattle, Atlanta, and Toronto are all in control, too - because the football and soccer teams are owned by the same entity. Same is also true in New England, where the Kraft family has the stadium and both teams.  And in NY, the Yankees are co-owners of NYCFC.  The outlier is not NE but Vancouver, where the stadium, football and soccer teams are all separate entities.  Detroit is still an expansion candidate because the Ford family (Lions, Ford Field) is part of the ownership team.  Even with that, Detroit fell from favor because of the change to Ford Field in the bid (MLS preferred the original plan to build nearby).  They're still in the hunt because, well, there's a lot of billionaires in that group.  All of this is alluded to in the article you sent.

Now, if SDSU and SoccerCity were to cut a deal on use and control of the stadium, MLS would probably be on board (personally, I dont think SD was a favorite regardless, but that's another discussion).  But my suspicion from afar is the folks at SoccerCity were of an all-or-nothing mindset.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, fanhood said:

Where did that @SDSUfan guy go? Didn't we tell that idiot this was the outcome? Soccer City never had a chance.

Congrats to SDSU West.  Just so you know, I voted yes on both.  BUT what I said about the fundamental dishonesty of the SDSU west campaign still stands. Additionally I  still maintain that this is not the plan that is best for the city or for that matter,SDSU, the CSU system and the taxpayers of the state but the people have spoken. Stadiums are terrible investments. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a building that sits vacant for 350 days a years is at best profligate for a government entity. . When the fund raising  starts, I'll contribute my fair share.

Go SDSU West....I guess.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

HARDLY.

He wanted to negotiate directly without Public input for Sucker City. He is a weasel to put it mildly.

Which was why I posted his tweet.  He doesn't move on anything until after he sees the polls. He stuck up a middle fingle to SDSU and the city replied "Faulc you, mayor" with the vote for Measure G.

58 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Congrats to SDSU West.  Just so you know, I voted yes on both.  BUT what I said about the fundamental dishonesty of the SDSU west campaign still stands. Additionally I  still maintain that this is not the plan that is best for the city or for that matter,SDSU, the CSU system and the taxpayers of the state but the people have spoken. Stadiums are terrible investments. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a building that sits vacant for 350 days a years is at best profligate for a government entity. . When the fund raising  starts, I'll contribute my fair share.

Go SDSU West....I guess.

Your behavior in this thread was hilarious.  

You literally couldn’t have been more wrong on every aspect of the fight for mission valley.  I love it!  Go Aztecs!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

Your behavior in this thread was hilarious.  

You literally couldn’t have been more wrong on every aspect of the fight for mission valley.  I love it!  Go Aztecs!

I'm not going to scour that entire thread but 344 days ago the guy flat out said there that "SDSU West is sunk." At least that prognostication was 100% incorrect.

Boom goes the dynamite.