thedude15

The good part of UCF winning...

If they can manage to go  13-0 I still think they miss out of the CFP but I think it puts more pressure on the CFP to expand to 6 or 8 teams. Plus ND going 12-0 would also put more pressure on playoff expansion. 

In a hypothetical 6 or 8 team playoff I could see them giving the highest ranked little 5 conference champ a bid IF they finish ranked in the top 6 (for 6 team playoff) or 8 (for 8 team playoff). This way the big 5 is only giving up a playoff spot when a little 5 teams goes undefeated back to back years (eg a large part of UCF high current ranking is the fact they were undefeated last year) OR a little 5 team wins a huge game in the OCC (eg beating a top 15 on the road). Of note NO little 5 team have finished in the top 8 of the CFP rankings in the first 4 years. 

And honestly to me this would be a far compromise to give the little 5 teams at least some chance. Because this year I am 100% sure UCF has no chance. Trust me they will sneak in some 2 loss team at #4 if they have to and rank UCF #5. There is ZERO chance a 13-0 UCF and 12-0 ND are gonna get two of the 4 bids. 

If all  or all but one of the P5 champs have a loss (see my other thread) UCF will get in this year.  As for ND, barring 4 undefeated P5 champs, a 1-loss ND was always a lock to get into the playoffs.  Don't underestimate the degree to which the media and cfp powers want to see ND in that playoff.  I think it's undeserved for a program that hasn't done jack shit in a quarter century, but there's still plenty of olds out there that think college football rises and sets under the skies of South Bend.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

Just now, Bruininthebay said:

I think Notre Dame will be undefeated too so ND > UCF. 

it's likely UCF faces a Big 12 or Pac 12 champ in a game where BOTH schools will have something to prove.

If Texas wins out, there'll be a strong push to get them in.  Less so with Okie since they'll be viewed as having had their shots.  The media narrative of Notre Dame and Texas ARE BACK! is going to be too much of a pull for that committee to resist.  I think, unless they win out, Ohio State is probably going to get shafted.  No way they leave out an SEC team.  No way they leave out Clemson.  And no way they leave out a one loss Domer or B12 champ Texas team.  Ohio State controls their destiny for now but pick up one loss and even if they win the B10, they're going to need a lot of help.

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

2 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Texas sucks

That they do.  Along with Ped State & Notre Dame the most overrated blueblood program in the country.  Take away that 6 year streak based upon stumbling into back to back unicorn quarterbacks with Radio and Colt, and they haven't done anything since the mid 70s.  That being said, the national media love them, and there'll be a strong push to put them in if they win out.

SteelCityBlue

My impression is that both the Big 12 and the Pac 12's nine game schedules have a lot of close games with unexpected outcomes and there will be many more too come.  The 'SEC Mountain' is the same way. 

It's a lot of fun but if you get caught up in the national post season speculation you'll be disappointed - especially when Notre Dame will be undefeated because you can't spell sucks without U S C

Everyone forgets how much variance teams will display week to week in college football.  Player development is on-going throughout the season (to wit: my UCLA Bruins) and the season is far from over.   Some teams hunker down and overcome early losses while others become overconfident / get distracted when early success happens.  18 to 21 year olds have a lot of living and developing to do so predictions based on the past are a lot less relevant than in the NFL. 

I do think  that UCF, USF and Cinci will be undefeated until they face each other in late November because the American has many teams without good offensive lines.  SDSU and  Fresno State appear to have a similar situation with the rest of the West division imho.

21 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

If all  or all but one of the P5 champs have a loss (see my other thread) UCF will get in this year.  As for ND, barring 4 undefeated P5 champs, a 1-loss ND was always a lock to get into the playoffs.  Don't underestimate the degree to which the media and cfp powers want to see ND in that playoff.  I think it's undeserved for a program that hasn't done jack shit in a quarter century, but there's still plenty of olds out there that think college football rises and sets under the skies of South Bend.

Do you honestly believe UCF will be ranked ahead of ANY 1 loss big 5 team?  UCF needs has no chance to get in ahead of a 1 loss team. That is just crazy talk.

Heck UCF might have a hard time being ranked ahead of some two loss teams.

I think he here would be more pressure on the CFP to put UCF in the Playoffs if UCF goes undefeated again. (But only if Clemson ot OSU ends up with 1 loss.) On top of possibly having games with top 25 opponents still to come in USF and Cinci,  also conference championship game. Should be 26 straight wins, and that is something g they shouldn't take lightly IMO

1 minute ago, thedude15 said:

Do you honestly believe UCF will be ranked ahead of ANY 1 loss big 5 team?  UCF needs has no chance to get in ahead of a 1 loss team. That is just crazy talk.

Heck UCF might have a hard time being ranked ahead of some two loss teams.

Disagree.  They won't bump a 1-loss Alabama, SEC Champ or ND, but I still think this would be viewed as the year to throw the G5 a bone.

SteelCityBlue

9 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Disagree.  They won't bump a 1-loss Alabama, SEC Champ or ND, but I still think this would be viewed as the year to throw the G5 a bone.

What 1 loss team would they bump? Below are potential 1 loss teams excluding SEC/ND. Which if we are conceding two spots to SEC/ND there is only 2 spots left. 

Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, West Virginia, NC State, Iowa, Washington State, Colorado? Plus there is a chance AL goes 12-1 losses in the SEC champ game giving the SEC a chance for two bids.

Even in the crappy Pac-12 if one of Wash St, Colorado, Oregon goes 12-1 they will still jump ahead of a 13-0 UCF. Oregon is only two spot behind UCF right now.

34 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

That they do.  Along with Ped State & Notre Dame the most overrated blueblood program in the country.  Take away that 6 year streak based upon stumbling into back to back unicorn quarterbacks with Radio and Colt, and they haven't done anything since the mid 70s.  That being said, the national media love them, and there'll be a strong push to put them in if they win out.

They have beaten three ranked teams this year. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

If the playoff is all about money and tv ratings, then I really believe UCF has a shot.  That would be a huge game nationally, and the ratings would be through the roof if only for the sheer "let's see what happens" factor.   They need some help, primarily in Bama running the table and taking a second SEC team out of contention, and the B12 champ ending up with two losses.   Now if Bama or Ohio State runs UCF out of the stadium, you're probably putting a stake through the heart of any future G5 team's chance of getting in.  But I think this is the year that's lining up for a G5 invite.  If not this year, it's never going to happen.

SteelCityBlue

22 hours ago, thedude15 said:

That is not relevant. The statement made was UCF would finish ahead of a one loss Big 5 team. I was asking which Big 5 team that would be.

I said if complete hell breaks loose and there were 7 or 8 1-loss P5 teams all with a valid case, that might create an opening for UCF to squeeze in.  If you're going to piss off 4 P5 teams, why not piss off a 5th and use this year to throw the G5 their bone.  If there's 4 solid, 1-loss P5 champs that everyone thinks should be in, then no.  UCF doesn't have a shot of bumping one of them.

SteelCityBlue