Victor Maitlin

CFP Mayhem

Ohio State picks up a loss but wins the B1G

Texas and Oregon win out.

LSU beats Bama in a close game and then wins out.

Clemson picks up a loss but wins the ACC

Domers pick up a loss. 

UCF wins out.

You have 5 1-loss P5 champs (2 bluebloods + 3 big time name brand programs), plus a 1-loss domer program that everyone wants to see in the playoff, plus a 1-loss team that's been the dominant program in the sport for the last decade plus an undefeated G5 team that hasn't lost a game in two years.

Who gets in, and would this be the catalyst for an expansion to 8?

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

1 minute ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Bama, LSU, ND, Clemson make it in this scenario. 

I think Clemson gets left out for Texas.  Clemson's schedule will have been hot dogshit outside of aggy, and aggy has plenty of time left to aggy up the season.  The narrative of TEXAS IS BACK! is just going to be too much of a pull for the media and the committee.  And I still think they let UCF in.  It would be the perfect year to throw the G5 a bone.  A 2-3 matchup with Alabama makes for a mighty good media narrative to draw ratings. 

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

4 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

UCF has next to no shot, no way they go in over clemson 

I agree.  I'd love to see a G5 team break the P5 monopoly on the playoff but there's almost no chance UCF gets in.  The CFP committee will point to their schedule and look elsewhere.  The near-loss to Memphis didn't help.

5 hours ago, sdsuphilip4 said:

Bama, LSU, ND, Clemson make it in this scenario. 

Which just might be the catalyst to 8.  If the B1G, Pac12, and Big 12 all get left out of the playoffs, then the shit will hit the fan. 

UCF won't change the landscape no matter how many consecutive years they go undefeated.  Piss off Delaney, Scott, and Bowlsby all at once and you've got a tiger by the tail.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Ohio State picks up a loss but wins the B1G

Texas and Oregon win out.

LSU beats Bama in a close game and then wins out.

Clemson picks up a loss but wins the ACC

Domers pick up a loss. 

UCF wins out.

You have 5 1-loss P5 champs (2 bluebloods + 3 big time name brand programs), plus a 1-loss domer program that everyone wants to see in the playoff, plus a 1-loss team that's been the dominant program in the sport for the last decade plus an undefeated G5 team that hasn't lost a game in two years.

Who gets in, and would this be the catalyst for an expansion to 8?

In this situation Ohio St., LSU, Bama, and Clemson go. ND can’t afford a loss. The Big 12’s hopes ended when WV lost. UCF needs a bunch of teams to lose multiple times before the are considered. 

46 minutes ago, NoMakeLiDat said:

In this situation Ohio St., LSU, Bama, and Clemson go. ND can’t afford a loss. The Big 12’s hopes ended when WV lost. UCF needs a bunch of teams to lose multiple times before the are considered. 

A couple of thoughts.  I think you underestimate the push that there will be to get a 1-loss ND in.  In fact, I think they are the first 1-loss team in ahead of any 1-loss conference champ other than Bama.  Do you even Texas is Back!, Bro?  Texas runs the table, and they're a 1-loss P5 champ blueblood that hasn't lost since opening weekend.  Do they get in over an undefeated P5 champ?  No.  But I think the "Texas Is Back" novelty would propel them over Oregon for sure and probably Ohio State and Clemson with the argument being those schools have had their shots recently.

SteelCityBlue

8 Teams

• Disband the Committee and establish a transparent BCS type formula
  • 5 P5 Champs
  • 3 At Large Based on the Forumula
  • Seed them Based on the Formula
  • First Round at Home Stadiums
  • Second Round at Bowl Sites
  • Finals in an NFL Stadium including cold-weather sites.
  • Like 1

SteelCityBlue

7 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

A couple of thoughts.  I think you underestimate the push that there will be to get a 1-loss ND in.  In fact, I think they are the first 1-loss team in ahead of any 1-loss conference champ other than Bama.  Do you even Texas is Back!, Bro?  Texas runs the table, and they're a 1-loss P5 champ blueblood that hasn't lost since opening weekend.  Do they get in over an undefeated P5 champ?  No.  But I think the "Texas Is Back" novelty would propel them over Oregon for sure and probably Ohio State and Clemson with the argument being those schools have had their shots recently.

Notre Dame only has Navy, Northwestern, Florida St., Syracuse, and USC left. These are not good teams. None of them are ranked. If Notre Dame loses to one of them they will not be able to recover from that. The perception of the Big 12 and PAC 12 is not good. Texas would have the advantage over Oregon due to quality wins and brand name. The powers that be don’t care if teams have had their shots recently. 

8 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

8 Teams

• 5 P5 Champs

You have my vote. I might include a limit of no more than two teams per conference. 

2 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Im not a fan of the playoff to begin with no need to expand. What made college football so great is every game matters. I miss the good old days when I knew the national champion New year's night.

Do I need to get off your lawn right away or can I finish smoking my tea first?

• Haha 1

SteelCityBlue

1 hour ago, Victor Maitlin said:

8 Teams

• 5 P5 Champs

Anything that doesn’t guarantee a spot in the playoff for the best of the rest will guarantee a lawsuit will be filed.

P5 Champs all get a spot

Best of the Rest guaranteed a spot (ND/BYU etc. included).

2 At-Large

This is the proper way to have an eight team playoff that is fair.

If you want to be really fair, mandate that all schools play the same amount of home games as road games.  12 game regular season equals 6 home/6 road.  Go to any kindergarten class and they will tell you this is the only fair thing to do!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Anything that doesn’t guarantee a spot in the playoff for the best of the rest will guarantee a lawsuit will be filed.

P5 Champs all get a spot

2 At-Large

If you want to be really fair, mandate that all schools play the same amount of home games as road games.  12 game regular season equals 6 home/6 road.  Go to any kindergarten class and they will tell you this is the only fair thing to do!

Some teams play 13 games though. 

13 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

P5 Champs all get a spot

2 At-Large

You really want to guarantee the Domers a spot almost every year because that's what will happen?

Anti-Trust is and always has been a pipe dream.  Just because Bob Kustra flaps his gums about it doesn't make it reality.  Now if the G5 were to break away and form a competitive organization and playoff and the P5 used its market power and business relationships to in any way hinder that (such as pressuring networks or stadiums to not do business with the G5), you're talking about collusion and anti-trust.  Simply having a product that the market doesn't value because few people want it is not anti-trust.  Again, the G5 is, and always has been, free to walk away if they don't like the deal.  My hunch has always been that, despite their public protestations, behind the scenes their bean counters and market analysts have told the Presidents to just accept what they get because it's better than they can get on their own.

And life isn't fair.  Maybe Michigan should share all that ticket revenue with the G5 schools.  Hell, why stop with their athletic revenue.  I'm sure UNLV could use a slice of their $9B endowment.  It's only fair.

SteelCityBlue

On October 14, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Victor Maitlin said:

Do I need to get off your lawn right away or can I finish smoking my tea first?

I guess I deserve that lol. I just like how every game meant something. Like last year Bama would of been done, but they backed in.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, Headbutt said:

Which just might be the catalyst to 8.  If the B1G, Pac12, and Big 12 all get left out of the playoffs, then the shit will hit the fan. 

UCF won't change the landscape no matter how many consecutive years they go undefeated.  Piss off Delaney, Scott, and Bowlsby all at once and you've got a tiger by the tail.

I agree on a move to a 8 team playoff if the B10, Pac12 and Big12 are frozen out. I also think it could be a move to expansion of those conferences with AAC powers UCF, USF, Cincy,and Houston and MWC powers SDSU and  Boise having some chance to be added to the Pac12, ACC and Big 12 and the Big10 taking 2 from the ACC and SEC taking 2 from either the Big12 or ACC. 

True this may never happen but the P5 will need to do something other than rearrange the deck chairs if 2 or 3 of their conferences are shut out. They have too much false pride to simply live and let live. If somehow UCF does get in however all hell will break loose. Let us face the facts Texas and Oklahoma are all that separates the Big 12 from the MWC and AAC. If either of those leave the Big12 or if North Carolina, Clemson or Florida St. leave the AAC things are going to change rapidly.