mugtang

Game Thread - SJSU vs Army

It would be much easier for the campus prez to shut down football following a downturn to complete misery and SJSU's 10-year record is the epitome of a bell curve:

2009: 2-10

2010: 1-12

2011; 5-7

2012: 11-2

2013: 6-6

2014: 3-9

2015: 6-7

2016: 4-8

2017: 2-11

2018: 0-12 or 1-11?

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

C784BCD5-1D31-420A-8DE2-14CF39D5879D.jpeg.83c3fdc38f2ee9a8d590c7528af6caf4.jpeg

6E2C1EB1-066A-4E7F-9EC6-EA4B9BE60C04.jpeg.18b0689eb44dc57dca7439d1c8c85976.jpeg

Tuite is our AD, not our President. Tuite's been at SJSU a lot longer than Papazian. I mentioned Tuite in my earlier post because she chose Brennan. And she still talks about how good he is. :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, the former 1066 said:

Division 3 would be more appropriate.

More like NAIA at this point. :blink:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Fresno fired DeRuyter in October 2016 when he was 1-7 for that season and 4-16 in his last 1.75 seasons.

SJSU is currently 0-6 for this season and 2-17 overall under Brennan.

How much longer will SJSU wait to see if the team will improve?

Caragher wasn't great, but he did a lot better than Brennan and was fired after four seasons. SJSU tends to ride out contracts compared to the most programs, so I'm pretty sure Brennan will be back for his third season even if the Spartans go 0-12. And they probably will. :tumbleweed:

Guest elefish92

Unpopular opinion but Tuite needs to go. On /r/CFB Watch Days, "we" turned down Jeff Garcia, Tee Martin, and Justin Wilcox for Brent Brennan. Those guys are at worst much more qualified than Brennan. Brennan is more appropriate to be a cheerleader than a coach. I will admit that social media and the university has cared a lot more than Caragher's tenure. Anyway, she isn't a "new" person, as indicated in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULSFIfubjLY

We're only starting to care now because it seems like everyone had enough with SJSU being a piece of futile shit. We seriously don't deserve the FBS recognition at this point and people need to stop being nostalgic about our success prior to the 1990s. Can we focus on fixing the issues now? I don't think that is ever going to happen because they would much rather talk about social justice in athletics.

It really is a damn shame and a sad situation that the university has refused to fix for DECADES. There are no excuses. Look at Fresno State and San Diego State.

*sigh* Time will tell...

1 hour ago, elefish92 said:

Unpopular opinion but Tuite needs to go. On /r/CFB Watch Days, "we" turned down Jeff Garcia, Tee Martin, and Justin Wilcox for Brent Brennan. Those guys are at worst much more qualified than Brennan. Brennan is more appropriate to be a cheerleader than a coach. I will admit that social media and the university has cared a lot more than Caragher's tenure. Anyway, she isn't a "new" person, as indicated in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULSFIfubjLY

We're only starting to care now because it seems like everyone had enough with SJSU being a piece of futile shit. We seriously don't deserve the FBS recognition at this point and people need to stop being nostalgic about our success prior to the 1990s. Can we focus on fixing the issues now? I don't think that is ever going to happen because they would much rather talk about social justice in athletics.

It really is a damn shame and a sad situation that the university has refused to fix for DECADES. There are no excuses. Look at Fresno State and San Diego State.

*sigh* Time will tell...

I agree, Brennan and Tuite both need to go. I've heard her on the pre-game radio show twice this season talk about how she chose Brennan because of his enthusiasm. Well, that rah! rah! crap might work at the High School level but it's not working at SJSU. They can cheer all they want but the results are terrible. Barring a miracle, 0-12 and a possible #130 ranking are coming.  

If there are actually any SJSU fans left, they better not buy the "enthusiasm" bullshit. Check how much enthusiasm the hometown paper has for the Spartans:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/13/army-runs-over-san-jose-state-52-3/

Somebody needs to tell SDSU's administration loud and clear that if social responsibility is what they're about they have to drop football - plain and simple.

Boom goes the dynamite.

48 minutes ago, GoCoAztec said:

What’s the advantage to the MWC if SJ drops football or leaves the conference?  I don’t see any unless BYU (yuck) takes their place.

Not sure if serious.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not sure if serious.

Yeah, I’m serious.  And I’m not saying that SJSU adds anything to the MWC, but what do they subtract?  

Who, besides YBU, is available and would increase the value of the MWC in football/basketball?  

Maybe I’m overlooking an obvious choice?

The main reason or perhaps the only reason SJSU was offered membership to the conference was that it thought it needed 12 football schools in order to hold a conference title game. Whether or not that was actually necessary then, it definitely isn't now.

spartans practiced early this morning: https://bleacherreport.com/san-jose-state-football Hopefully our team won't decide they can sleepwalk through San Jose.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The main reason or perhaps the only reason SJSU was offered membership to the conference was that it thought it needed 12 football schools in order to hold a conference title game. Whether or not that was actually necessary then, it definitely isn't now.

spartans practiced early this morning: https://bleacherreport.com/san-jose-state-football Hopefully our team won't decide they can sleepwalk through San Jose.

So, we kick out SJ and drop down to 11 FB schools with only 5 in the West Division.  Then what?  Dividing the meager TV deal 10 ways instead of 11 hardly seems worth kicking a school out and then having to deal with the unbalanced schedule.  Jmho.

3 hours ago, Rev McQuervo said:

In this region, with the quality of players and JC programs, how in the hell can you lose to Army that badly?

When you have an incompetent AD like Tuite and an unqualified Head Coach like Brennan any rotten thing is possible.:facepalm:

1 hour ago, GoCoAztec said:

So, we kick out SJ and drop down to 11 FB schools with only 5 in the West Division.  Then what?  Dividing the meager TV deal 10 ways instead of 11 hardly seems worth kicking a school out and then having to deal with the unbalanced schedule.  Jmho.

Just throwing crap at the wall. UNT... good stadium, good arena (super pit vs the pit :thumbsup:), winning record in football 2 years in a row, footprint in texas again, a football state, Trending up. SJSU, trending to FCS and their Bball is garbage as well. No value.

Add UCSB in BBall..... for selfish reasons, just down the road :D (they have some good recruits this year. It will be interesting to see how they do.) Serious note, them or GCU.