lawofthejunglenv

MWC/A10 Challenge in Discussions

A10 is a better basketball league than the Missouri Valley (Edit: I checked recent conference rankings and the MVC is consistently better on the court than the A10) BUT it is concentrated in the Northeast so the most populous part of the nation will see more MW teams than they ever have.   It's an ESPN+ property http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211717410

I'd guess that the upcoming TV negotiations with ESPN would include this aspect as part of an overall package.   ESPN is also a common source of "leaks" when it suits their business purposes like it does here.  Rothstein has an A10 podcast so his source is probably on that side of the country.

This is probably being floated by ESPN as a way to entice the MW to sign a TV deal with them because this would be a tangible way ESPN can help the MW increase its exposure in the area with the most major TV markets in a league challenge series.

It's a good sign that anonymous sources are talking about the Mountain West while the American continues to have no major rumors I'm aware of that are relevant to getting a new deal for more money from ESPN.

there is a current thread on the AAC forum that is specifically about no one hearing anything about a new ESPN deal  https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-860379.html 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

A10 is a better basketball league than the Missouri Valley and it is concentrated in the Northeast so the most populous part of the nation will see more MW teams than they ever have.   It's an ESPN+ property http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211717410

I'd guess that the upcoming TV negotiations with ESPN would include this aspect as part of an overall package.   ESPN is also a common source of "leaks" when it suits their business purposes like it does here.  Rothstein has an A10 podcast so his source is probably on that side of the country.

This is probably being floated by ESPN as a way to entice the MW to sign a TV deal with them because this would be a tangible way ESPN can help the MW increase its exposure in the area with the most major TV markets in the country and upgrade their league challenge series.

It's a good sign that anonymous sources are talking about the Mountain West while the American continues to have no major rumors I'm aware of that are relevant to getting a new deal for more money from ESPN.

there is a current thread on the AAC forum that is specifically about no one hearing anything about a new ESPN deal  https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-860379.html 

Do like the exposure in the NE. Those game times are going to be crap for fans on both coasts I'd assume.

1 hour ago, lawofthejunglenv said:

Wrong. A10 is trending in the wrong direction like most mid majors. AAC would have been much better. A10 nowadays is a slight upgrade over MVC

We can agree to disagree.  I am bullish on the A10 right now.  We can check back in March

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

A10 is a better basketball league than the Missouri Valley and it is concentrated in the Northeast so the most populous part of the nation will see more MW teams than they ever have.   It's an ESPN+ property http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211717410

This is probably being floated by ESPN as a way to entice the MW to sign a TV deal with them because this would be a tangible way ESPN can help the MW increase its exposure in the area with the most major TV markets in the country and upgrade their league challenge series.

The Big10 has had such a contract with the Big East BKB Conference for the last several years on ESPN and the Big 10 network. Now the Big 10 is attempting to force the Big East out of their conference tournament in New York City. The Big 10 wants to hold their tournament at MSG the same week that the Big East holds the BE tourney at MSG. The Atlantic 10 has been holding their tournament at the Brooklyn center but only getting about 5K in customers per game except for the final game. Because of this the B10 may be cancelling the B10 vs BE challenge. This will give ESPN some openings late in the season and MAY mean that some kind of opening exists for the MWC. All this despite the fact that the BE is a Fox contractor. Anything in the northeast that is bad for the Big East is good for the Atlantic 10.

I can't really see this happening but it would be a very good thing if it did. We really are not good enough as a one or at most two team bid in the dance to warrant it. However let us hope that I am wrong.

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Not to mention potential games with UMass, URI, VCU, George Washington, etc. are loads more intriguing than games with SW Missouri State or whatever shit ass teams are in the Valley. 

Well, the MW has some shitty teams like SJSU, AFA and WYO...