mugtang

Washington Supreme Court Tosses Death Penalty

With the exception of Treason, the Death Penalty should be abolished. 

• Like 6

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I used to be for the death penalty until I came to the mwcboard.  It was @bluerules009 who changed my mind on it (believe it or not).  He said something along the lines of “the state shouldn’t have the power to murder its citizens” and it really hit home with me and got me thinking.  I still think it should be applicable to cases of Treason but otherwise it should be abolished. 

• Like 5

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

His view has also always been my view; for years I've felt that I simply can't trust a government that has the power to murder it's own citizens. 

This is a great decision IMO. And I also agree that Treason should be the only crime punishable by death. Not only from a moral standpoint, but also from an economic one; the cost of executing someone is astronomical. 

Prison needs to be more about rehabilition.  We really need to change the way we deal with criminals in this country. Don’t get me wrong, there are some people we should just throw into a hole and lose the key. But we can rehab most of those people.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Prison needs to be more about rehabilition.  We really need to change the way we deal with criminals in this country. Don’t get me wrong, there are some people we should just throw into a hole and lose the key. But we can rehab most of those people.  

It's no wonder the recidivisim rates in this country are so high.  Our mass incarceration prison system often turns 'lesser' criminals into more dangerous people upon release thanks to the connections and criminal knowledge they make while incarcerated.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

It's no wonder the recidivision rates in this country are so high.  Our mass incarceration prison system often turns 'lesser' criminals into more dangerous people upon release thanks to the connections and criminal knowledge they make while incarcerated.

Aren’t lesser criminals separated from the hardcore type in most prisons? 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t know. There are some people that commit absolutely horrible crimes on other people that deserve to die in my mind. If society can abort an innocent fetus soon to be a baby, why not put to death someone who absolutely deserves it. 

Society doesn't abort, individuals do. Big difference.

• Like 1

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I don’t know. There are some people that commit absolutely horrible crimes on other people that deserve to die in my mind. If society can abort an innocent fetus soon to be a baby, why not put to death someone who absolutely deserves it. 

That is the inconsistency in most everyone's mind.  Decades ago it seemed that most everyone that was pro life was also pro death penalty and vice versa.  You are seeing more and more folks, at least in my opinion, that are both pro life and anti death penalty (I don't run into too many that are pro choice and pro death penalty but I assume there are some).

The World Needs More Cowboys!

20 minutes ago, renoskier said:

In the name of the "state" and paid by the "state".

Show me where the "state" has forced an abortion.

An adult can force their 17 year old to have an abortion.   The state gives the adult that power.

In some cases the state can give that power to a guardian of someone over 18.

28 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I must be weird because I cringe at the thought of taking an innocent unborn child’s life, but have no guilt feelings or remorse whatsoever about the thought of putting a sadistic murderer to death. Anyone else feel the same? 

I won't be doing either.