pokebball

Mulled wine

It is what heroes drink to warm themselves when they finally arrive at a tavern after a long, arduous, cold, and wet journey on the road towards their quest. 

According to about every fantasy author ever. 

We tried to make some because huge nerd and all that and it ended up being basically pumpkin spice hot wine. bleaaaaggh. we figured we made it wrong and went back to drinking jim beam neat, as god intended. 

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

It's a spiced wine (fruit and spices) that is traditionally served warm/hot.

Personally, I think it is an abomination.

It's a medieval era drink that they had to make because cocktails and real spirits hadn't been invented. Some ancient drinks should just stay ancient. Pretty much all of them actually (mead, ancient beers, etc.)

Craft drinks have jumped the shark on this. Microbrews were rightfully considered as hip and vintage (bringing back some recipes from the peak of brewing creativity that fell off due to the US infatuation with Pilsners), but when it gets into ancient recipes... well there's a reason people haven't drunk that shit in a thousand years.

And if you come across anyone who recommends it, be sure to ask how their Ren Faire cosplay is coming along.

• Like 3

To each their own. We make a holiday hot spiced cider (cranberry juice and apple juice with a whole orange, clove, cinnamon and all spice), that we then add Rum to. It's a similar thing but not wine based. I just can't stomach hot wine. Not good.

15 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

It's a spiced wine (fruit and spices) that is traditionally served warm/hot.

Personally, I think it is an abomination.

It's a medieval era drink that they had to make because cocktails and real spirits hadn't been invented. Some ancient drinks should just stay ancient. Pretty much all of them actually (mead, ancient beers, etc.)

Craft drinks have jumped the shark on this. Microbrews were rightfully considered as hip and vintage (bringing back some recipes from the peak of brewing creativity that fell off due to the US infatuation with Pilsners), but when it gets into ancient recipes... well there's a reason people haven't drunk that shit in a thousand years.

And if you come across anyone who recommends it, be sure to ask how their Ren Faire cosplay is coming along.

Hey, our Ren Faire cosplay is great. We just drink 1554 from New Belgium (or any beer from the breweries around Munich, they all date to the 1500s) with it cause we aren't insane. 

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

32 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Hey, our Ren Faire cosplay is great. We just drink 1554 from New Belgium (or any beer from the breweries around Munich, they all date to the 1500s) with it cause we aren't insane. 

There are definitely some older beer recipes that have stood the test of time. Most of the current standbys we drink today are from the 1500's-1700's (pretty much all lagers and most ales, and lagers have not changed much at all). The trappist style ales are all very old, have not changed, still brewed by monks and are still great. But there is a reason certain drinks have died off after they evolved into something better. I get some families having traditions to exhume them on a holiday, but selling them commercially is jumping the shark for sure.

Here is another good example of what I'm talking about...

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/midas-touch

This was the first beer in our Ancient Ales series.

This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between beer, wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike.

For years, Dogfish Head has worked with biomolecular archaeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern to bring Ancient Ales to life. For more on Midas Touch and the experience of Penn Museum excavators as they uncovered the tomb of the legendary King Midas, read this essay from Dr. Pat.

It's kinda like the Jurassic Park of beer... let nature take its course people!

5 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

There are definitely some older beer recipes that have stood the test of time. Most of the current standbys we drink today are from the 1500's-1700's (pretty much all lagers and most ales, and lagers have not changed much at all). The trappist style ales are all very old, have not changed, still brewed by monks and are still great. But there is a reason certain drinks have died off after they evolved into something better. I get some families having traditions to exhume them on a holiday, but selling them commercially is jumping the shark for sure.

Here is another good example of what I'm talking about...

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/beer/midas-touch

It's kinda like the Jurassic Park of beer... let nature take its course people!

I'll reserve judgement until I try it, just like with the mulled wine. In my experience Dogfish doesn't put out a product I won't like.