lawofthejunglenv

Nevada vs Boise State

It's funny how they always bring the discussion back around to academics on a sports message board.  The sad thing is they are slowly losing that battle too and they don't even know it.  If you look at the trajectory over the last 10 years for each school it's not even close. UI's only advantage is the tremendous head start they had as a land grant university, and a State Board of Education that held BSU back for decades.  The gap is now closing rapidly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Using metrics like grad rate is it even close?

Red herring - always has been.  Look at the mission of the two schools, they are completely different.  Urban commuter school vs. land grant rural campus.  If you take out the part-time students and housewives taking classes the grad rates are similar.  Check out the APR scores for athletes at each school - that's a better comparison in my mind because those are students who are planning to get their degree in 4 years.

The argument isn't that Boise State is a better academic institution today - it's not.  The point is the gap is closing rapidly and UI fans/alumni are in denial.  Any number of national publications will tell you the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Red herring - always has been.  Look at the mission of the two schools, they are completely different.  Urban commuter school vs. land grant rural campus.  If you take out the part-time students and housewives taking classes the grad rates are similar.  Check out the APR scores for athletes at each school - that's a better comparison in my mind because those are students who are planning to get their degree in 4 years.

The argument isn't that Boise State is a better academic institution today - it's not.  The point is the gap is closing rapidly and UI fans/alumni are in denial.  Any number of national publications will tell you the same.

How can you compare the two and say the gap is closing if the mission is different? So you’re saying Boise’s not better but Idaho is worse? How can that be good for the state of Idaho?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

How can you compare the two and say the gap is closing if the mission is different? So you’re saying Boise’s not better but Idaho is worse? How can that be good for the state of Idaho?

Never said Idaho was worse - they are basically stagnant as a university while Boise is growing rapidly in terms of enrollment, grad-level degrees offered, national standing, etc.  That's why the gap is closing.

Idaho had a higher enrollment in the 80's (when I was at BSU) than they do today.  Do you know of any other public university that can say that?

37 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

How can you compare the two and say the gap is closing if the mission is different? 

One thing that is missing here is that Boise State was forced to serve the role of the Junior and Vocational College for the population center of the state of Idaho for years. Hence all the "trucker school" jokes.

With the establishment of the College of Western Idaho we have now removed ourselves from that service and our grad rates are beginning to come into line with where they should be as a 4 year University. Our enrollment has also caught up to and surpassed UoI.

Both are good schools, each provides a different and unique college experience for students. We have some catching up to do for sure, particularly in regards to Grad Programs, which aren't even comparable to Idaho.

I think we will get there but it takes time. 

• Like 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

It's funny how they always bring the discussion back around to academics on a sports message board.  The sad thing is they are slowly losing that battle too and they don't even know it.  If you look at the trajectory over the last 10 years for each school it's not even close. UI's only advantage is the tremendous head start they had as a land grant university, and a State Board of Education that held BSU back for decades.  The gap is now closing rapidly.

What else am I supposed to do?  I can't argue that our team is better, so I just have to rely upon the indisputable fact that we're better than you in every other aspect of existence.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Broncos4Ever said:

So, to sum up, Idaho's mission is to educate the class and BSU's mission is to enroll the trash.  Well put B4E. 

Athlete APR as a metric for a school's overall academics?  Lol, good luck with that.  Let me know when any credible source whatsoever adopts your logic.

8 minutes ago, RenoRedskin said:

DE13717C-9CB4-40D5-BEA5-5ADC49443FE7.png

So what?  It's not like I've been denying it.  ISU played a helluva game.  Stop touching yourself and get some new material.  This is very much like dealing with BadWillChumping.

• Haha 1

Question for Boise fans.When you left the Reno area to go home, was the NV Highway Patrol and Idaho State Troopers out in force to catch speeders, and watch for drunk drivers or was that just a scare tactic reported to the media to slow down Idaho drivers? :shrug:

11 hours ago, westfan said:

Question for Boise fans.When you left the Reno area to go home, was the NV Highway Patrol and Idaho State Troopers out in force to catch speeders, and watch for drunk drivers or was that just a scare tactic reported to the media to slow down Idaho drivers? :shrug:

Not much response.  Try CB slang.

• Haha 3

On 10/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, RenoRedskin said:

Wait.........you want new material. What is that 3 loses to FCS schools. 

CBDEFA85-A9A8-4F27-9814-EC94F46F4C19.png

When you typed in the search you didn't spell Montana correctly.  WTF? 

1/10. 

If you're going to troll Idaho using a Reno moniker,  at least spell correctly.  

Boise education. SMH.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, VandalPride97 said:

So, to sum up, Idaho's mission is to educate the class and BSU's mission is to enroll the trash.  Well put B4E. 

Athlete APR as a metric for a school's overall academics?  Lol, good luck with that.  Let me know when any credible source whatsoever adopts your logic.

I'm sure all the working class adults who are trying to improve their situation in life appreciate being called trash.  What a douchebag...

2 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

I'm sure all the working class adults who are trying to improve their situation in life appreciate being called trash.  What a douchebag...

Uh oh, PC Guilt Trip TBSUF has arrived to get all preachy.  What a drama queen...

Don't talk to me about hardship until you're dead broke, out of gas and down to your last packet of ramen during finals.

• Facepalm 2

18 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Uh oh, PC Guilt Trip TBSUF has arrived to get all preachy.  What a drama queen...

Don't talk to me about hardship until you're dead broke, out of gas and down to your last packet of ramen during finals.

Frat boy hardships. 

Lol

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."