UNLV2001

UNLV at Utah State

KICKOFF: 1:06 pm PT
SITE: Maverick Stadium (25,100/AstroTurf), Logan, UT
STREAM: Facebook (Ari Wolfe, Bruce Gradkowski & Dani Klupenger)
RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Russ Langer, Caleb Herring & Steve Cofield)

Utah State leads the all-time series 16-7 and has won four straight over the Rebels

USU has an 8-3 record at home vs UNLV

USU & UNLV played 13 times as Big West Conference (originally PCAA) rivals from 1983-95

USU has won 7 of the last 9 games vs UNLV

The game will mark UNLV’s first appearance on Facebook

UNLV has a 42-102 record vs MWC teams in 20 years of MWC play 

UNLV is looking to win its conference road opener for the first time since 2015 when it knocked off UNR

USU is 32-9 in their last 41 home games & has a 4 game home winning streak

Utah State’s 4-1 start to the season is its best since 2012 and the last time USU began a year with a 5-1 record was back in 1978

During its current four-game winning streak, Utah State is averaging 55.0 points and 482.5 yards per game (246.0 passing, 236.5 rushing)

Utah State’s current streak of scoring at least 30 points in each of its first five games of the season is tied for the fourth-longest streak in college football

Utah State head coach Matt Wells played against UNLV in 1994 and 1995 as a quarterback

Lexington Thomas is 3rd in UNLV career rushing yards and is 11 shy of 3,000 (2,989) - Thomas will be the 3rd UNLV RB to top 3,000 career yards rushing 

Thomas needs 160 yards rushing to tie Mike Thomas for 2nd place in UNLV history

Thomas rushing yardage has decreased every game this season 1) 136 2) 127 3) 120 4) 82 5) 36

Utah State has averaged 509.3 yards of offense (328.3 passing, 181.0 rushing) during its four game winning streak against UNLV

The team that has had more yards of total offense has won the last six meetings in the series

Eleven of the 23 games played in the series have been decided by one score

In 23 games in series history, Utah State has scored 184 more points than UNLV, 595-411

Link to weekly press conference:  blob:https://player.watchstadium.com/22b9f3f4-f843-4162-af89-276b65e557af

AGGIES AND REBELS SERIES HISTORY
• Utah State and UNLV will be meeting for the 24th time in series history this weekend, with USU owning a 16-7 advantage, including an 8-3 home record. The first game played in the series was on Sept. 25, 1971, in Logan with USU winning, 27-7. USU won the last meeting between the two teams in Las Vegas, 52-28, on Oct. 21, 2017. USU also won the last meeting between the two teams in Logan, 34-20, on Oct. 25, 2014. The last time UNLV won a game in the series was on Aug. 30, 2008, in Las Vegas by a final score of 27-17, while its last win in Loan was on Aug. 30, 2007, by a final score of 23-16. Overall, USU has won 13 of the last 16 games played in the series, including four straight.

UNLV is one of the few schools who's number we seem to have, kind of like NMSU and Wyoming (at least historically).  I was in LV for that 2008 loss, yikes.  I did have a fun time afterwords as I recall. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So Vegas lost a game it probably should have won?! That’s how sports work sometimes. UNM is playing for their coaches career. Motivation is a funny thing with kids.

And I’m not sure what you all expected? 10 win seasons because Sanchez was really good at Gorman where it had 100x the resources of virtually every other program on its schedule. Or simply a better product than you had prior to his arrival? I personally think the guy has improved Vegas football but like Polian he has benefited from one of the worst schedules in the last few decades down there. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

So Vegas lost a game it probably should have won?! That’s how sports work sometimes. UNM is playing for their coaches career. Motivation is a funny thing with kids.

And I’m not sure what you all expected? 10 win seasons because Sanchez was really good at Gorman where it had 100x the resources of virtually every other program on its schedule. Or simply a better product than you had prior to his arrival? I personally think the guy has improved Vegas football but like Polian he has benefited from one of the worst schedules in the last few decades down there. 

Seriously doubt anyone was thinking of a 10 win season, but 6 to 7 wins was within reality and UNLV just pissed away what was to be one of those wins and there's not much room to make up for that loss - This USU game back in August was probably a 50-50 proposition for UNLV to win it, but after seeing USU get off to a fantastic start and with UNLV really bringing any positives to a screeching halt just last week.........this game sure seems to be one that UNLV has a1 to 10% chance of winning where back in August it was 40 to 50% game.

If UNLV had lost a close one to UNM, there might have been some "woulda coulda shoulda" debates that give some hope to upcoming games.......but UNLV failed miserably in every aspect of the game vs NM and that opened the massive chasm of doubt that always is lingering in UNLV fans minds.

That last game cast a huge cloud over everything about the FB program 

has UNLV won that game in the fashion that NM won........we wouldn't even be close to discussing firing Sanchez, shuttering the program, pie in the sky coaching wish lists, and on and on........the only debate would be Rogers vs Gilliam at QB 

• Like 1

I just remember how dominant the rebs were in that first half vs USU last year, before Armani went down. Is the drop off from Armani (who is a poor passer) to Gilliam that wide of a gap? If so, what is there to lose by putting in Oblad and seeing what he can do?

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

42 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

I just remember how dominant the rebs were in that first half vs USU last year, before Armani went down. Is the drop off from Armani (who is a poor passer) to Gilliam that wide of a gap? If so, what is there to lose by putting in Oblad and seeing what he can do?

USUs poor offense scored 7 TDs in that game last year. I don't think the problem for UNLV will be on offense. 

• Like 1

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

USUs poor offense scored 7 TDs in that game last year. I don't think the problem for UNLV will be on offense. 

It was 28-14, and the rebs had already amassed over 300 yds on the ground, when Armani went down right before half time. They put in Palandech and they gain less than 100 total yds the rest of the game and the Ags go on to outscore them 38-0 the rest of the way. If you didn’t see the correlation between Armani’s injury and how the rest of the game played out, then you weren’t paying attention, because we weren’t slowing them down at all. We might’ve still put up 52, but the rebs were on pace to easily break 60, prior to the injury.

• Like 1

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

1 minute ago, aggzilla said:

It was 28-14, and the rebs had already amassed over 300 yds on the ground, when Armani went down right before half time. They put in Palandech and they gain less than 100 total yds the rest of the game and the Ags go on to outscore them 38-0 the rest of the way. If you didn’t see the correlation between Armani’s injury and how the rest of the game played out, then you weren’t paying attention.

My point is, if UNLV's defense can't stop Utah State their offense will certainly not be enough without Rogers. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.