battle.borne

Those Fresno State DBs

I've not seen a group of defensive backs play more effective man coverage on Nevada in years. Nevada has a decent stable of sure handed and fast receivers who looked pedestrian against that Fresno secondary. Really impressed by those guys. Solano missed on his secondary reads but his primary reads were rarely ever open. That made it incredibly tough on a player who hadn't started a game since high school 2013.

• Like 1

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 minutes ago, DrBulldog said:

Thank you.  Really proud of that position group.  Only wish that we had them in Derek Carr's final season and shut down SJSU.  We would have been to a BCS bowl that year.

Defenses can ebb and flow over the course of the season but I think Fresno has enough depth to weather any attrition. Gonna be a hard beat for anyone left on your schedule. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

31 minutes ago, DrBulldog said:

Thank you.  Really proud of that position group.  Only wish that we had them in Derek Carr's final season and shut down SJSU.  We would have been to a BCS bowl that year.

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but what everyone seems to forget about that year is that UCF was ahead in the polls.  Even if FS would have won out, they would have gone to the LV bowl.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

4 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Appreciate the enthusiasm, but what everyone seems to forget about that year is that UCF was ahead in the polls.  Even if FS would have won out, they would have gone to the LV bowl.

That's actually not correct. UCF got the Big East/AAC auto-bid that year, as it was the final year of the BCS. If we won out, we would have finished in the Top 16 and gotten an auto-bid as well. 

Just now, retrofade said:

That's actually not correct. UCF got the Big East/AAC auto-bid that year, as it was the final year of the BCS. If we won out, we would have finished in the Top 16 and gotten an auto-bid as well. 

maybe it wasnt UCF, but someone else was ahead.  I distinctly remember that.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Just now, godogsgo said:

maybe it wasnt UCF, but someone else was ahead.  I distinctly remember that.

UCF was ahead of us, but the AAC had an auto-bid that year. I was wrong though, we would have had to finish in the top 12 (very possible) or in the top 16 and ahead of a champion of a conference with an auto-bid, which likely would have UCF. The team that we were fighting with for the non-AQ bid was NIU, but we were ahead of them. 

I'm torn between this quartet and the 2012 group.   Think the 2012 squad was more talented in terms of NFL potential, but these guys are every bit as effective at the college level.

Solano was immensely frustrating to watch...those damn scrambles.   I hate backup QBs scrambling around.   It's maddening.   Get pressure with 4, all the reads are covered and he tiptoes for 6 yards.

1 hour ago, battle.borne said:

Defenses can ebb and flow over the course of the season but I think Fresno has enough depth to weather any attrition. Gonna be a hard beat for anyone left on your schedule. 

Yeah, our backup DBs are as good as any we've had since 05. You saw #15 Arron Mosby in on certain downs. His off-season put him just a half-step behind the starters. Chris Gaston, a former CSU commit, should also be at that level shortly. 

At cb, #8 rFr. Wylan Free looks like he's going to be a 3-year starter for us. He's built like Jaron Bryant and very good. 

18 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Nevada's DBs played very well too. That was a surprise for me. 

It was a great defensive effort from both teams. Fresno was just the better team.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater