pokerider

Happy Columbus Day!

56 minutes ago, pokerider said:

1492 - Columbus discovered.... the Bahamas! 

We should celebrate Leif Erikson Day way earlier in the year but just sort of gloss it over whenever we talk about Columbus Day

• Like 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

its actually surprising Columbus Day managed to be gov't holiday.   I think Columbus deserves credit for what he did, remarkable at the time.  But not really much to do with the US and our gov't.  which wasn't even a country til almost 300 years later.  

20 minutes ago, pokerider said:

its actually surprising Columbus Day managed to be gov't holiday.   I think Columbus deserves credit for what he did, remarkable at the time.  But not really much to do with the US and our gov't.  which wasn't even a country til almost 300 years later.  

I got into a heated discussion about Columbus a couple months ago where I expressed a similar sentiment and was accused of "white privilege" by an American of Indian heritage after I suggested a horse thief shouldn't be hung for murder.*  As he was a self-proclaimed Buddhist, I asked him how he reconciled the first thirty years of Siddhartha's life when he was still a spoiled c*nt prince who lived in seven lavish palaces built on the backs of an exploited servant class. #BrownPrivilege

Regarding Columbus, so he (re)discovered the New World by accident. So what. The sheer magnitude of Balls required to undertake such a journey into the unknown in the 15th century makes me wonder how there was room for any additional cannon balls on the Santa Maria.

*he may have treated natives like shit, but the resulting genocide of Native American peoples was due to exposure to pathogens to which they had no natural immunity, not some machination to eradicate them.

• Like 4

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

45 minutes ago, pokerider said:

That’s one way to look at it. You can also look at it like this. Had Spain thought the Columbus voyage was a failure and decided it wasn’t worth going back, would the Western Hemisphere look like it does today? Portugal, France, and Great Britain would have eventually made it here at a later time. But that came sooner once they saw the bounty Spain was extracting from the New World. The fact that Ferdinand and Isabella had the balls to support the initial voyage when other European powers balked was pretty amazing. Staying and building an empire before the others was also a ballsy move.

• Like 2

I was seated next to a local tribal elder for the '07 home playoff game against the Pats. I told him how my ancestor had kicked his ancestors out of SD after they burnt down Mission de Alcalá (true story). We were getting along pretty well. Until that point. I just felt I should remind him. I've thought about sending him a gift in the years since... maybe a nice blanket. #HappyColumbusDay

• Haha 1

As I like to call it, Happy Make Italians and Irish White in America Day!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So it's a drinking holiday then. 

There are sober holidays?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Now that I've met my quota for quasi-racist jokes in exceedingly poor taste, I can go back with a clear head and finish my taxes. Speaking of which, almost finished... just got to enter this from the last attached schedule into the 1040... now subtract that... carry the one... aaaaand... 

done.

Taxes.jpg

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Now that I've met my quota for quasi-racist jokes in exceedingly poor taste, I can go back with a clear head and finish my taxes. Speaking of which, almost finished... just got to enter this from the last attached schedule into the 1040... now subtract that... carry the one... aaaaand... 

done.

Taxes.jpg

I have a client that writes "bullshit" on the "For _______" line on his checks to the IRS

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I have a client that writes "bullshit" on the "For _______" line on his checks to the IRS

On those rare occasions I still write a physical check for someone, I write all sorts of obscene shit in the memo line. When I wrote my buddy a check to cover our share of a mongo-sized cabin in Big Bear for last New Years, I wrote "for blow job" on the line. I told him he had to walk it in and stare the teller straight in the eye when he made the deposit. Similarly, when writing a check for our neighbor's daughter's middle-school for a fundraiser this last weekend, I really had to fight the urge to write "van candy" in the memo line. And to be honest, I kind of regret not doing so - they're so-so neighbors at best, and it would have made me laugh every time I looked at that carbon.

• Haha 4

When I was in high school South Dakota stopped celebrating Columbus Day and instead the second Monday in October became Native Americans Day.  Either way I got a day off from school for duck hunting unless corn harvest wasn't completed.  In that case no vacation day for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I got into a heated discussion about Columbus a couple months ago where I expressed a similar sentiment and was accused of "white privilege" by an American of Indian heritage after I suggested a horse thief shouldn't be hung for murder.*  As he was a self-proclaimed Buddhist, I asked him how he reconciled the first thirty years of Siddhartha's life when he was still a spoiled c*nt prince who lived in seven lavish palaces built on the backs of an exploited servant class. #BrownPrivilege

Regarding Columbus, so he (re)discovered the New World by accident. So what. The sheer magnitude of Balls required to undertake such a journey into the unknown in the 15th century makes me wonder how there was room for any additional cannon balls on the Santa Maria.

*he may have treated natives like shit, but the resulting genocide of Native American peoples was due to exposure to pathogens to which they had no natural immunity, not some machination to eradicate them.

There is a body of thought now that argues that Columbus really did not "rediscover" America because it was never forgotten. Portuguese fisherman plied the North Atlantic and occasionally took on supplies in Iceland and conversed with the locals. The Scandinavians likely never forgot about America (Vinland). There are medieval ledger entries of lumber shipments from Vinland, and there is archaeological evidence of 14th century wood that originated in what is now Canada. It's likely that Columbus had no doubt that there was land to the west.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say