Rebels2k3

Fire Sanchez

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Fresno Stare went from 1 win to 10 wins in one year.  As @RebelRobert says, winners win right away.

Fresno also has a history of winning.  UNLV doesn’t.  

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, NevadaFan said:

Fresno State has a strong football history of winning dating back decades. 

Just now, mugtang said:

Fresno also has a history of winning.  UNLV doesn’t.  

Jinx!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 hours ago, ph90702 said:

They will go to a bowl next year with the right coach.

You can't just compare HCs in the calculation. Hoke would bring the same optimism that Sanchez brought but with all his connections he would also bring a vastly better staff.

Boom goes the dynamite.

9 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Fresno Stare went from 1 win to 10 wins in one year.  As @RebelRobert says, winners win right away.

And just how many guys here said Tedford was a horrible hire?

Did I? Hell no, because I know the axiom. Which is that the only coaches who are qualified to be the head of a staff at the FBS levels are guys with substantial successful experience as a HC and/or coordinator at at least the FCS level. Did Sanchez have that? No. Did SDSU's Tom Craft have that? Again no. And neither did Chuck Long. However, in both of the latter cases the two had at least had a couple good years as an FBS coordinator.

As to Tedford, he had a run at Cal as good as any HC the Bears have had in half a century. Granted Tedford was unemployed when Fresno hired him but BFD. The reason was his health problems and to Fresno's credit, they did their homework on that.

A former Aztec who is in SDSU's HOF once told me that to his experience and that of guys he played with in the NFL, college presidents don't know shit about what it takes to build a good football program so they better know enough not to make HC hiring decisions themselves. Just stay the eff out of it and leave the decision to the AD and, if they REALLY know what they're doing, to a committee of former players. That's what SDSU's prez has done the last two hires and it's what UNLV's prez should do in a few weeks.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Actually I hope they keep Sancheese. He was a reach at best, did good with previous HC's kids and now is in way over his head.

Go Pack, Go Aztecs!

1 hour ago, JADogs05 said:

I will say this. I've never slapped my head harder over an opponent's mistake than I did when your RB ran backwards 14 yards from the 1 yard line. 

Wait...what?

42 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Wait...what?

It was surreal and beautiful in the way that multi-car pileups at slow speeds are. UNLV had the ball down to the one, maybe the two yard line late in the game, in prime position to get a garbage time score.  The RB got the ball to the right and immediately slammed into the back of his RG for reasons unknown.  After he stumbled back for a step or two, I was surprised that he didn't plow ahead and settle for a no-gainer or a loss of one. He regained his bearings and started running backwards and to the left for a good three seconds, where a Fresno LB took him down for a loss of 14-15.  I was a bit peeved that our LB didn't hold off on tackling him to see how far back he went. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JADogs05 said:

It was surreal and beautiful in the way that multi-car pileups at slow speeds are. UNLV had the ball down to the one, maybe the two yard line late in the game, in prime position to get a garbage time score.  The RB got the ball to the right and immediately slammed into the back of his RG for reasons unknown.  After he stumbled back for a step or two, I was surprised that he didn't plow ahead and settle for a no-gainer or a loss of one. He regained his bearings and started running backwards and to the left for a good three seconds, where a Fresno LB took him down for a loss of 14-15.  I was a bit peeved that our LB didn't hold off on tackling him to see how far back he went. 

It was Charles Williams, UNLV's sophomore running back who was recruited out of Fresno, and it was on UNLV's scoring drive (that should narrow it down pretty good, the field goal drive).

The play you describe has unfortunately been one of the hallmarks of this 6 game skid by UNLV since Armani Rogers was injured.  There has been a tendency to move a lot laterally instead of pushing the ball forward.  In the first several games with Max Gilliam at QB there were several times that Gilliam would roll toward the sideline looking to pass then instead of passing he would just run out of bounds anywhere from 5 to 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. 

Who's worse, SJSU or UNLV? We beat the Rebels, which is our only win. They have two wins, but one was against an FCS team and the other was against UTEP, and the Miners are winless. But then again we lost to a FCS team too.

• Like 1