Rebels2k3

Fire Sanchez

1 hour ago, Sputnik46 said:

Sounds like they haven’t received proper coaching Tony.

When he was a high school coach he could blame the parents.  But as a college coach you can only blame yourself after your guys are in place.  Looks like rats fleeing a sinking ship.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Hadn't seen that. Thanks.

Chris Ash is absolutely gone at year's end after which Rutgers will still owe him two years of salary. Ash might have been the worst position coach on the worst staff in SDSU history under Chuck Long and it's amazing anybody was dumb enough to hire him to be their HC. But wait . . .

There IS San Jose State! If SJSU cans Brennan, they could easily be dumb enough to replace him with Ash, thereby allowing that guy to continue to be a head coach while paying him a rock bottom salary! Let's get 'er done, Spartans!

BTW, Jinks was fired last night.

Boom goes the dynamite.

As a leader, putting people in the right jobs requires emotional fortitude.  Tony's failure to deal with underperformers is the result of his own emotional blockages.  Without proper emotional fortitude, Tony will always have a hard time hiring the best people to work for him.  A leader who is emotionally weak avoids people who are better than they are because they fear that these people will undercut his power.  Tony will instead surround himself with people he can count on to be loyal and exclude those who might challenge him with new thinking.  This sort of emotional weakness that Sanchez is showing will destroy both himself and the football program.  Humility allows you to acknowledge your mistakes.  Tony doesn't have this basic quality because he never learned it when he was working as a XEROX SALESMAN.

Hire someone competent!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

As a leader, putting people in the right jobs requires emotional fortitude.  Tony's failure to deal with underperformers is the result of his own emotional blockages.  Without proper emotional fortitude, Tony will always have a hard time hiring the best people to work for him.  A leader who is emotionally weak avoids people who are better than they are because they fear that these people will undercut his power.  Tony will instead surround himself with people he can count on to be loyal and exclude those who might challenge him with new thinking.  This sort of emotional weakness that Sanchez is showing will destroy both himself and the football program.  Humility allows you to acknowledge your mistakes.  Tony doesn't have this basic quality because he never learned it when he was working as a XEROX SALESMAN.

Hire someone competent!

You lost me at emotional blockages?!?!   Just fire his ass.  

• Haha 4

Seems to me that Tony Knap was the best coach that UNLV ever had (he was pretty damn good at Boise State as well).  Ron Meyer gets disqualified because he was an unethical, cheating scumbag.  I'm guessing John Robinson is #2?  I imagine he was well liked by Rebel fans but he still lost a bunch.

2 hours ago, rebelcuff said:

Not sure Jim wants to go down that road again. Single handedly built usf football. He would be a home run.

Leavitt is a big name around town, maybe he has some family in town who will talk him into coming. I agree he would be a home run.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, Spot50B said:

Seems to me that Tony Knap was the best coach that UNLV ever had (he was pretty damn good at Boise State as well).  Ron Meyer gets disqualified because he was an unethical, cheating scumbag.  I'm guessing John Robinson is #2?  I imagine he was well liked by Rebel fans but he still lost a bunch.

Harvey Hyde was 26-19-1 over four seasons as UNLV coach.

Harvey Hyde was a solid coach but history doesn't remember that because the Big West conference took away his 18 wins from the '83 and '84 seasons (during which UNLV went 18-6 and won the California Bowl, only to have that win also vacated by the Big West conference).  The NCAA actually still recognized those wins, and they are still counted in the UNLV record books.

Again, the NCAA still counted those games as wins.  The conference did not so the record was changed.  Ineligible players were used in games those seasons, but that kind of extreme penalty probably would have never happened at most schools, but UNLV's president at the time (Robert Maxson) had it in for Harvey Hyde, who was in tight with the Tarkanian family.  Maxson did nothing to appeal the penalty or stand up for the football program.

Hyde was fired following a 5-5-1 season.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, Spot50B said:

Meyer was at UNLV when the program was D-II 

Knap was hired to be the first D-I coach and he had UNLV going pretty darned good from the get go - The wheels came off in the late Harvey Hyde years and has just been a cluster phuck of futility ever since with the exception of the occasional blind squirrel season UNLV produced in since 1985 

39 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Not sure you’ve been awake for awhile but, I’ve been saying this for months.  But, I still believe we should drop football and move our sports to the WCC.

We ABSOLUTELY should not drop football.  That’s a LOSER mentality.  Get a REAL coach and the results WILL come.

41 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Not sure you’ve been awake for awhile but, I’ve been saying this for months.  But, I still believe we should drop football and move our sports to the WCC.

Honestly if UNLV did that - I'd drop being a UNLV fan within the minute I heard it 

• Like 1