Mad_Hatter

Jury Duty

The last time I had to go to jury duty, I was out of work at the time, so I wanted to be selected. The case I was called into the courtroom for turned out to be one that they expected to last for 3-5 days, so I figured it'd be perfect if I was picked since I had no other engagements. Well... everyone's name but mine was called, then they sat the last alternate and told me I was free to go. That was about 6.5 years ago back in California. The other times I've had to go in, I was excused without ever going into a courtroom, so it was just a lot of sitting around and reading. 

I was on a jury last summer for an attempted murder case. A jealous boyfriend confronted his girlfriend and accused her of sleeping with their neighbor who she hired to fix the plumbing for the in-law suite in the backyard the house. He would go over 3 days a week to work and one night he stayed late so he could finish digging the trench. The boyfriend came home and saw him walking out the back gate and asked him why he stayed so late. The neighbor said he was stayed late to finish the trench, but the boyfriend didn't have any of it, pulled out his knife and cornered him between the gate and the fence. The neighbor is 6'3" 220lbs and the boyfriend was 5'10" 150lbs, the neighbor charged him to get the knife out of his hand and landed blows breaking the boyfriends jaw, but the boyfriend stabbed him 8 times and left him for dead. The girlfriend heard the yelling so she ran out and saw her boyfriend get in his truck and take off. She dialed 911 and stayed with the neighbor until paramedics arrived while trying to put pressure on his wounds. The boyfriend hid out at a friends house, but turned himself in 4 days later and was booked on attempted murder charges. The neighbor miraculously survived with stab wounds to his arm, stomach, and chest. One of his kidneys collapsed, his lung was punctured and filling with fluids, and he lost some mobility in his right arm but the doctors were able to save him. 

When I got selected to be placed on the jury and hearings were underway, the boyfriend claimed self defense because the neighbor charged him first and broke his jaw, but we saw right through that bullshit. The trial hearings took about a week and a half and deliberation took about 4 hours before we came back with a guilty verdict on the boyfriend. That was my one and only time serving on a jury, the other times I was dismissed while still sitting in the waiting room.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

A jury holdout attempts to prevent a miscarriage of justice by forcing his colleagues to reconsider the evidence. 

12 Angry Men (1957)

My experience consists of tossing the summons in the trash. Every time.

If they want me to serve they can make the system more efficient, for ME. I've got better things to do than sit around waiting for them to decide if they need me. Make an appointment. Put me on the calendar. I'll show up. I'll give them 1 hour to decide if they need me.  Until that happens they can pound sand.

• Facepalm 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

As to Ridgeview is post, somebody was telling me about something did not involve the breaking of laws or the legal system, but funny nonetheless. This person was telling me that their neighbor put in an awesome fountain in their backyard waterfall type thing next to their pool. It was absolutely gorgeous. So they asked the Builder to do one for themselves because he had done such a good job for the neighbor. Anyway, he put in a cheap ass lava rock waterfall that look like crap. come to find out, he was having an affair with the neighbor lady, that's why she got the deluxe waterfall.

• Haha 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

On 10/7/2018 at 12:02 PM, SDSUfan said:

If they want me to serve they can make the system more efficient, for ME. I've got better things to do than sit around waiting for them to decide if they need me. Make an appointment. Put me on the calendar. I'll show up. I'll give them 1 hour to decide if they need me.  Until that happens they can pound sand.

Why am I not surprised you'd shirk your civic duty?  Such a freaking patriot, aren't you?

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Didn’t get selected, and didn’t even get drawn for the panel, but I did enjoy the process. The people trying to get excused were way too obvious and awkward, though. And after the judge’s questioning, one crotchety oldtimer got called out by the defense attorney for contradicting his answers on the online survey. He actually wrote “I’m a racist and a bigot, now and forever”. I’ve heard people joke about it, but to see it in action was cringeworthy. 

I get called all the time at 2-3 times every 5 years.  It is a small county and we end up with a shitload of california crime because of I-80.

The District Attorney knows me so he is scared to death of putting me on a jury in a case with circumstantial evidence.  He also knows I would never vote for the death penalty. 

The defense attorneys never want white males on the jury so they always kick me off as well.   Every time that happens the District attorney laughs his ass off.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, SDSUfan said:

After my experience today, this makes me shake my head. You can’t give about 4-5 hours once every 2 years? Which part would you cut out to accommodate your incredibly busy and important life? You have a choice to be a registered voter, and with that choice comes this obligation. Or have you not actually gone because you trash them all? Exemptions exist for those who actually deserve them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

After my experience today, this makes me shake my head. You can’t give about 4-5 hours once every 2 years? Which part would you cut out to accommodate your incredibly busy and important life? You have a choice to be a registered voter, and with that choice comes this obligation. Or have you not actually gone because you trash them all? Exemptions exist for those who actually deserve them. 

I was called to jury duty once, I think I was 20 or 21.  I told them I was a student and was dismissed.  I haven’t been called since. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, bluerules009 said:

I get called all the time at 2-3 times every 5 years.  It is a small county and we end up with a shitload of california crime because of I-80.

The District Attorney knows me so he is scared to death of putting me on a jury in a case with circumstantial evidence.  He also knows I would never vote for the death penalty. 

The defense attorneys never want white males on the jury so they always kick me off as well.   Every time that happens the District attorney laughs his ass off.

You haven’t convinced them to use the pie baking method as an acceptable alternative for corporal punishment?

1 hour ago, Mad_Hatter said:

I dont care what you think.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I dont care what you think.

Not caring about what other people think makes it a lot easier to be a piece of shit. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 hours ago, happycamper said:

Not caring about what other people think makes it a lot easier to be a piece of shit. 

I don't care what you think either, Soy Boi.

Go scrub your vag.  I can smell it from here.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke