misplacedcowboy

Prediction: BYU will not win another game this season

On 10/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, Mano said:

Issue is that the HC has to be an LDS member in good standing, and that severely limits the pool. If they were willing to shell out the money and run the option, they could get Ken Neuimatalolo, but can't really think of any other name guys.

Didn’t Kenny already turn BYU down?  I can’t see him trading a great gig at Navy for all the headaches that would come with coaching the Cougars.

7 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Didn’t Kenny already turn BYU down?  I can’t see him trading a great gig at Navy for all the headaches that would come with coaching the Cougars.

Pretty sure they never officially offered him. The rumor was that they were unwilling to pay him what he wanted ( that is another issue with BYU getting coaches, they are cheap ) and were not excited about running the option.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

BYU is dying a slow death, but their administration is too stubborn and too proud to admit it. Sad. 

We burned our bridges.  No way to come back.  Tied into a lot of contracts that would cost millions to back out.  Held hostage by our actions and money.  Plus most of our BOT are Utah guys so you have trouble getting the support when those that make your major decisions are Utah University fans. You cannot have a good athletic club when those that make the critical decisions prefer other universities especially ones that are your rival.  Rumor is that BYU BOT did not want to make any move until Utah had secured a P5 invite.  They thought a P5 invite was guaranteed for the Y but did not want Utah left out.  When it all went down the BOT were pleased with how it turned out because getting Utah into a P5 was the primary goal and BYU athletics is minor issue.  Far more important to get Utah with its business and medical into that partnership with the P12.  And I hate to admit it but if you are LDS that is true.  Utah has great graduate programs and a medical research that is not only helping the state of Utah but the world as well.  BYU has nothing close to the cancer research done at Utah.  Football or cancer.  Things worked out best for the state of Utah and the U of U. 

Still wish those in charge at the Y cared more about sports.  Oh well.

8 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Plus it wasn't handled well.  Doubt he would even interview again.  Tom and Kyle are good friends.  Kyle pushed for Kalani.  It was a done deal, all the other interviews were to go through the process.  Kind of funny, but Kyle turned down BYU, got mad that they then hired Bronco, and now essentially runs BYU by proxy through Kalani.  Kalani is a stud, but you can see Whits fingerprints far more than LaVell's.  That isn't a bad thing because Kyle is one hell of a coach.  Kalani should not be fired.  I would ink him to a 20 year deal today if he wanted it.

13 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

5 hours ago, Mano said:

Pretty sure they never officially offered him. The rumor was that they were unwilling to pay him what he wanted ( that is another issue with BYU getting coaches, they are cheap ) and were not excited about running the option.

Seemed like Ken just used the possibility of an offer to get a raise from Navy.

50 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Seemed like Ken just used the possibility of an offer to get a raise from Navy.

I think he would have gone to BYU if they were willing to match the money, but they always seem to expect a discount from members.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Just now, Mano said:

I think he would have gone to BYU if they were willing to match the money, but they always seem to expect a discount from members.

Could be, but I got the sense that Holmoe never intended to offer Ken regardless of the money.  No inside info or anything.

5 hours ago, suralexander said:

We burned our bridges.  No way to come back.  Tied into a lot of contracts that would cost millions to back out.  Held hostage by our actions and money.  Plus most of our BOT are Utah guys so you have trouble getting the support when those that make your major decisions are Utah University fans. You cannot have a good athletic club when those that make the critical decisions prefer other universities especially ones that are your rival.  Rumor is that BYU BOT did not want to make any move until Utah had secured a P5 invite.  They thought a P5 invite was guaranteed for the Y but did not want Utah left out.  When it all went down the BOT were pleased with how it turned out because getting Utah into a P5 was the primary goal and BYU athletics is minor issue.  Far more important to get Utah with its business and medical into that partnership with the P12.  And I hate to admit it but if you are LDS that is true.  Utah has great graduate programs and a medical research that is not only helping the state of Utah but the world as well.  BYU has nothing close to the cancer research done at Utah.  Football or cancer.  Things worked out best for the state of Utah and the U of U. 

Still wish those in charge at the Y cared more about sports.  Oh well.

LOL, this is the dumbest post I've ever heard.

• Facepalm 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

LOL, this is the dumbest post I've ever heard.

Do most of your fans think that the BOT are actively plotting against the athletic program because they attended Utah? This seems bizarre. 

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, Mano said:

Do most of your fans think that the BOT are actively plotting against the athletic program because they attended Utah? This seems bizarre. 

Where would anyone come up with such a dumb conspiracy theory?

48 minutes ago, Mano said:

I just don't think they care about sports as much as we as fans do.  I don't think they're actively plotting against anything, I think they're either more blissfully unaware or enjoy trying to set some football types straight.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I just don't think they care about sports as much as we as fans do.  I don't think they're actively plotting against anything, I think they're either more blissfully unaware or enjoy trying to set some football types straight.

I agree.

The BYU Board of Trustees are a bunch of Church leaders, old guys, essentially all of whom have been successful academically, and who are not far from death (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s).   What does that give them?  Perspective.   When it's all said and done, does college sports matter?   Maybe for a guy like Phil Knight at Oregon, or Boone Pickens at OK State, who want their legacy to be remembered at their schools' football team.   But not really for the BYU leadership.   Who cares about memorials made to men that are dead?    They are usually forgotten within a generation.  "Win one for the Gipper!"  or "BYU 1984!".  Young kids:  "Who???"  What???

Now, that's not to say that athletics isn't valuable, or doesn't bring a lot of joy to peoples' lives.   It can, and it does.   Sports teach a lot of life lessons.

So balancing those two out, I think the BYU BOT loves the WCC (competition isn't as huge of a deal there), and would love to have BYU football be a "collegial" thing, where is about the good old days of a fun event.  Think of the Ivy League football programs.

The disconnect at BYU, though, is that BYU has created a media machine (BYUtv, Deseret News, KSL etc) that doesn't have this same vision, and tries to sell BYU being a P5 caliber school.  Tom Holmoe hyping it up.  ESPN. etc.  Then you also have MANY (not all) Utah and USU fans obsessing about BYU all the time (as evidenced in this thread), which drives even more interest.  And a large BYU fanbase that wants a lot.

It's a lot of talk, but where is the substance?    If it is a P5 caliber school, then it ought to act like one (firing coaches, spending money on facilities, etc).  But obviously, the BOT doesn't share that vision....

Balancing all that out, BYU is more akin to a bottom level P5 / upper lever G5 in college football.   It has a huge fan base, but not the commitment to be a USC or Notre Dame.  So there it is....  And it could be worse than that.   It is what it is.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

BYU Has as good a chance of beating BSU on the Blue as SDSU did.  I think they should be favored in that game.

Being honest, Boise has a significantly better coaching staff than BYU right now.

The talent level is probably comparable, though.

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

BYU has some pretty good wins this year. BYU has beat better teams than BSU has lost to.

We'll know more about if BYU is any good by if Zach Wilson starts this Saturday, and if he looks better than Tanner Mangum.  He might be an upgrade at QB.  Who knows.

If Tanner Mangum keeps starting, then pencil in a Boise win.

4 hours ago, Mano said:

My brother works for the church dealing with financial acquisitions.  There is no plotting against BYU.  However they view things entirely different.  Its about education.  Sports are not that big of a deal.  For the University of Utah to get in the P12 with other research schools was a tremendous help to the state and church.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:43 AM, UNLV2001 said:

Doubt BYU has trouble finding a HC - BYU's the mothership of LDS football & is also a PR operation so BYU finding a HC isn't going to be an issue at least as far as a average HC -They won't attract a big name probably due to their schedule being so herky jerky ( a mix of decent P5's, then MWC & some real duds ) and they probably have to scramble to make a schedule with ESPN's help in finding those schools also desperate for an off night TV game 

And speaking of schedule, BYU really only has two meaningful games left ( BSU & Utah) - Hawaii is OK......but there are 3 who gives a crap games down the stretch that are basically glorified scrimmages for a team that has nothing to play 

Of course they can find a head coach.   If SJSU can find a coach so can they.   The question is can they find a top coach that will lead them to their goals.   I don't think that is possible.