misplacedcowboy

Prediction: BYU will not win another game this season

Just took at peek at the BYU Cougars football schedule.  YIKES!  Murderer's row----especially with Hawaii and BSU being good. They will probably end up with fewer wins against MW teams than SJSU.

Only possible wins I see for BYU are (1) New Mexico State, (2) UMass, (3) NIU.   But of those three, maybe only NMSU, who still put up more of a fight against Utah State than BYU did.

Maybe BYU really is the 3rd best team in their own state?

Screenshot_20181005-231352.thumb.jpg.0b1b4e7bd89b89d5fb4b3bcc9b0f20d0.jpg

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Just took at peek at the BYU Cougars football schedule.  YIKES!  Murderer's row----especially with Hawaii and BSU being good. They will probably end up with fewer wins against MW teams than SJSU.

Only possible wins I see for BYU are (1) New Mexico State, (2) UMass, (3) NIU.   But of those three, maybe only NMSU, who still put up more of a fight against Utah State than BYU did.

Maybe BYU really is the 3rd best team in their own state?

Screenshot_20181005-231352.thumb.jpg.0b1b4e7bd89b89d5fb4b3bcc9b0f20d0.jpg

probably 4th best, Weber State is good again.  

• Like 2

Not meant as a flame but in my opinion BYU’s independence for football is harming the team.   It’s just too hard to coach with no realistic end of the year goal.   Athletes want to accomplish something even if it’s a crappy MWC title. If you fire the coach, I think you are going to have a really hard time finding a solid replacement willing to take on such an untenable situation. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Not meant as a flame but in my opinion BYU’s independence for football is harming the team.   It’s just too hard to coach with no realistic end of the year goal.   Athletes want to accomplish something even if it’s a crappy MWC title. If you fire the coach, I think you are going to have a really hard time finding a solid replacement willing to take on such an untenable situation. 

Very easy to fix that problem.  Just don't go to BYU.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I remember years ago when Utah State got invited to the MWC, many posters here including BYU fans thought they were a horrible choice and some BYU fans were happy to be out of the MWC. They don't look so bad now do they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westfan said:

I remember years ago when Utah State got invited to the MWC, many posters here including BYU fans thought they were a horrible choice and some BYU fans were happy to be out of the MWC. They don't look so bad now do they?

BYU has worked hard to keep USU sports below then or out of their conference. 

Karma is bitch sometimes. 

It makes the recent beat downs so much sweeter for USU & total meltdown for BYU & how they went to independence with their nose up at MWC!!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Image result for no shit

• Haha 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

12 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Doubt BYU has trouble finding a HC - BYU's the mothership of LDS football & is also a PR operation so BYU finding a HC isn't going to be an issue at least as far as a average HC -They won't attract a big name probably due to their schedule being so herky jerky ( a mix of decent P5's, then MWC & some real duds ) and they probably have to scramble to make a schedule with ESPN's help in finding those schools also desperate for an off night TV game 

And speaking of schedule, BYU really only has two meaningful games left ( BSU & Utah) - Hawaii is OK......but there are 3 who gives a crap games down the stretch that are basically glorified scrimmages for a team that has nothing to play 

19 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Doubt BYU has trouble finding a HC - BYU's the mothership of LDS football & is also a PR operation so BYU finding a HC isn't going to be an issue at least as far as a average HC -They won't attract a big name probably due to their schedule being so herky jerky ( a mix of decent P5's, then MWC & some real duds ) and they probably have to scramble to make a schedule with ESPN's help in finding those schools also desperate for an off night TV game 

And speaking of schedule, BYU really only has two meaningful games left ( BSU & Utah) - Hawaii is OK......but there are 3 who gives a crap games down the stretch that are basically glorified scrimmages for a team that has nothing to play 

Issue is that the HC has to be an LDS member in good standing, and that severely limits the pool. If they were willing to shell out the money and run the option, they could get Ken Neuimatalolo, but can't really think of any other name guys.

• Haha 1

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

Issue is that the HC has to be an LDS member in good standing, and that severely limits the pool. If they were willing to shell out the money and run the option, they could get Ken Neuimatalolo, but can't really think of any other name guys.

If the coach has to be LDS "in good standing" then I see the issue - that could limit BYU to just rolling thru assistants unless there's a good Mormon out there somewhere in college FB that they can go after 

BYU like the Academies has some built in conditions and restrictions that can hinder the program - If the program takes a dive, it could be a rough go for a number of years but there also should be a bit of a higher bottom for BYU than for other MWC type programs just because it's the church's school, there will always be a % of guys who want to play at BYU - BYU might not be a 12, 11 10 win program, but they probably avoid the 0, 1, 2 , 3 win seasons most of the time 

On 10/6/2018 at 10:02 AM, westfan said:

I remember years ago when Utah State got invited to the MWC, many posters here thought they were a horrible choice

I'll admit it, I was one of them.

I am happy to have been wrong about them

Now SJSU on the other hand...

paddle.gif

• Like 3

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Alright @#1Stunner, let's make a bet. Who will win more games the rest of the season, BYU or Wyoming?

I got BYU winning out the rest of MWC play, beating Hawaii, NMSU and Boise.   The rest will be losses.

How many more games do you have Wyoming winning this season?

On 10/6/2018 at 12:08 AM, AggieSox said:

probably 4th best, Weber State is good again.  

Doesn't Dixie have football too?  Maybe 5th.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, AggieSox said:

BYU has worked hard to keep USU sports below then or out of their conference. 

Karma is bitch sometimes. 

It makes the recent beat downs so much sweeter for USU & total meltdown for BYU & how they went to independence with their nose up at MWC!!  

Except when they tried to join the Aggies in the WAC.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:43 PM, UNLV2001 said:

As has been mentioned, BYU's active-member requirement significantly limits the head coaching pool.  It's one of the reasons I was concerned when Mendenhall took the Virginia job.  Sitake assuaged my concerns in his first season finishing 9-4 with all the losses being close.  Didn't feel great about last season and this season is starting to look more like last year than I'd prefer.

The guy I was hoping they'd hire when Bronco left was Lance Anderson - Stanford's defensive coordinator.  Not sure what other candidates are out there.

• Like 1