Del Scorcho

good lord, just shut the sport down for a year or two ...

14 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

The investigation is ongoing. I'm guessing the NCAA is waiting for the DOJ to use their subpoena power to do the investigation for them. Assuming these allegations have legs, NCAA involvement is only a matter of time. I take plenty of flak on this board for saying that the NCAA should not get involved in some issue or another, but illegal benefits are very clearly within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

I'm just cynical at this point.  Nobody ever really gets punished seriously,  no matter what happens.  Everyone is cheating.  It makes me wonder why schools like us even try, because every big name is cheating and the playing field was never really even.  We have brothels at Louisville, pedophilia at Penn State, murder and rape at Baylor, fake classes, sex abuse at Michigan State, and whatever else is going on.  It makes me laugh they're panties were ever in a bundle for Reggie Bush/USC.  It makes me laugh they punished Boise for sleeping on the couch and eating some hamburgers.  It makes me laugh for whatever has gone on with Nick Emery at BYU; given all the serious problems at name schools.

Sometimes I think we need to take a step back and reset it all.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I'm just cynical at this point.  Nobody ever really gets punished seriously,  no matter what happens.  Everyone is cheating.  It makes me wonder why schools like us even try, because every big name is cheating and the playing field was never really even.  We have brothels at Louisville, pedophilia at Penn State, murder and rape at Baylor, fake classes, sex abuse at Michigan State, and whatever else is going on.  It makes me laugh they're panties were ever in a bundle for Reggie Bush/USC.  It makes me laugh they punished Boise for sleeping on the couch and eating some hamburgers.  It makes me laugh for whatever has gone on with Nick Emery at BYU; given all the serious problems at name schools.

Don't forget the free socks at BYU.   Can't believe they got away with that without UVU being punished.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Depends on the school, as Jerry Tarkanian liked to say.

BYU will get punished for "cheating" (Nick Emery accepting a trip to a concert).   Boise got punished a few years back for taking recruits out to McDoanlds, I think.   Saint Mary's got punished for hosting recruits from Australia in players' apartments. 

Meanwhile, North Carolina hasn't ever gotten punished at all for pushing athletes through fake degrees (Afro Studies).  

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, hickaggie said:

Don't forget the free socks at BYU.   Can't believe they got away with that without UVU being punished.

That was a lot of hub bub.  

The USU guy on the radio broke the story.   Reported that he had info on "flop houses", "free car stereos", etc for BYU athletes.   Then all that ever came up was that BYU gave players too many free socks.

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah of course. That seems to be the general issue here and the handlers like Bowen's father would be facing a visit from the IRS people. I was just suggesting that if the individual player got the money somehow and didn't declare it, they were also going to face problems, so even if Bowen's dad took the payoff, if he gave it to Bowen, Bowen would still have to declare it as gift income. 

But Bowen's father and the other variety of handlers are the on

12 hours ago, renoskier said:
  13 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

What about the student athletes getting sent to prison or fined?  Technically this is tax evasion right???  I can't receive a proven monetary gift over $15k without paying taxes on it I thought?  

Just asking, not trying to argue a point. If anyone knows for sure, chime in please. 

Gifts received in any amount do not have to be reported and are not taxable income. The person giving the gift has to report it if they give more than $15,000 in a year to a single person. Those gifts count against their lifetime exemption when determining any estate taxes that have to be paid when they die.

If a gift is given for something in return then it is no longer a gift, so Bowen and his dad can't claim that he received gifts from the schools because they were received in return for the Bowen going to a school to play ball.

19 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just drop it in here. How excited are you to renew the states 2nd biggest rivalry tomorrow (behind C of I and NNU, of course)!? I hear it's supposed to be the first sellout at Holt Arena in 30 years. 

I'm gunna try and watch as much as I can. Normally, I pull for Idaho, but since it's all in-state I find myself rooting for the Bengals. It seems like they view it as a rivalry where vandalfan doesn't... can you imagine such a thing? Anyway, I think it would be best for this far too long dormant rivalry if Idaho State could pull it off. They actually aren't bad this year, either. 

Don't bother.  As long as our coach keeps playing his noodle-armed midget son, we have no chance. 

It's a rivalry on a secondary level.  A loss might fire it back up because it's simply small thinking to value a rivalry on cyclical runs. 

On 10/4/2018 at 4:59 PM, Jack Bauer said:

I wish they would be held accountable, but the NCAA is an old dog with no teeth

. . . and really bad gas.

Louisville should get the death penalty for its entire athletics department. If I graduated from that cheating POS school, I'd be embarrassed to admit it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

. . . and really bad gas.

Louisville should get the death penalty for its entire athletics department. If I graduated from that cheating POS school, I'd be embarrassed to admit it.

And this is why schools aren't scared. They know the NCAA isn't going to give out another death penalty. 

Death penalty should have been served to Penn State, if it didn't happen there then it will never happen again.

The whole athletic department of Michigan State should have been shut down.

These last two schools have done some evil, dirty things to young adults and kids yet they benefit like nothing ever happened. 

Also those recieving these illegal benefits should pay a penalty too.  I am for the athletes getting compensation other than just scholarships, that whole thing just needs to be figured out to give proper benefits to all student athletes. 

Looks like Kansas (2 players) and Arizona starting to feel some heat (yes, Arizona is a Nike school, Ayton got paid by Adidas, then turned around and went to AZ...so he got paid twice?? lol)

this Norlander thread is entertaining.