Del Scorcho

good lord, just shut the sport down for a year or two ...

5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I was just going to post this. 

I'm waiting for someone to implicate a bigger name than these.  

that's the 2nd Sean Miller assistant named

if it weren't football or post-season baseball season, I'd think this would be a huge national story, but its barely getting any attention.

If this thing is as far reaching as to include couch-surfing and free fast food, then I'm pretty sure the death penalty is rightfully on the way...

Textbook lack of institutional control...

If nothing else, they probably ought to cough up several scholarships over a 3-year period...

THREESTRIKES.jpg

• Haha 1

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

if it weren't football or post-season baseball season, I'd think this would be a huge national story, but its barely getting any attention.

Pasternack moved on to UC Santa Barbara and so far, we have not been contacted by federal investigators. I think we're okay for this year.  Next year?  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm just to the point where it doesn't even surprise me any more.  I wish they would be held accountable, but the NCAA is an old dog with no teeth.

• Like 2

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

I'm just to the point where it doesn't even surprise me any more.  I wish they would be held accountable, but the NCAA is an old dog with no teeth.

The investigation is ongoing. I'm guessing the NCAA is waiting for the DOJ to use their subpoena power to do the investigation for them. Assuming these allegations have legs, NCAA involvement is only a matter of time. I take plenty of flak on this board for saying that the NCAA should not get involved in some issue or another, but illegal benefits are very clearly within the NCAA's jurisdiction.

This is bad and evil and all cuz....money n stuff but what EXACTLY is illegal about it?

Why is the FBI and justice department enforcing NCAA regulations? 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

17 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Tax evasion, wire fraud, possibly bank fraud, and god knows what else given how thick the various federal codes are. 

Thin gruel at best. The FBI doesn't investigate tax fraud. Nobody deposited any phoney checks, so bank fraud is out. I have no idea how wire fraud can even be considered.

This is a colossal waste of resources.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

some dude I knew in Denver owned a travel agency and didn't pay taxes for about a decade. He finally got hauled in and owed some ungodly amount in unpaid taxes and penalties. Over $500K. He looked at them and said "Well, you can't get blood out of a turnip." The IRS agents looked over at him and said "Sir, you aren't a turnip."

He ended up getting soaked by them. 

They're cold blooded mother+++++ers!  Special place down south in their future.

3f78105c5d2aab86aa5ca1783c54aa92ab005dc8

I'm done now :)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

some dude I knew in Denver owned a travel agency and didn't pay taxes for about a decade. He finally got hauled in and owed some ungodly amount in unpaid taxes and penalties. Over $500K. He looked at them and said "Well, you can't get blood out of a turnip." The IRS agents looked over at him and said "Sir, you aren't a turnip."

He ended up getting soaked by them. 

Damn that is a FLEX. 

• Haha 1

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

What about the student athletes getting sent to prison or fined?  Technically this is tax evasion right???  I can't receive a proven monetary gift over $15k without paying taxes on it I thought?  

Just asking, not trying to argue a point. If anyone knows for sure, chime in please. 

23 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Thin gruel at best. The FBI doesn't investigate tax fraud. Nobody deposited any phoney checks, so bank fraud is out. I have no idea how wire fraud can even be considered.

This is a colossal waste of resources.

To be real about it, being a prosecutor is often a stepping stone to becoming a governor or senator or other higher elected office. Scoring high-profile convictions is a great way to advance your political career (or your legal career, for that matter). These DOJ guys could quietly prosecute people who lie on their mortgages, but nobody would care about that. But by going after college basketball coaches, they ensure that their names are in the news constantly. And they become heroes to a large percentage of the country who loves to see cheaters get punished and the schadenfreude when successful schools are punished for cheating. While I am sure that some laws were broken (or at least some tax dodging occurred), I agree with you that it's unclear that this is the best use of DOJ resources. But the price of living in a democracy is that sometimes people are more concerned with increasing their popularity with the general public than they are in doing what's best for the country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Certainly the individual players could get their tit in a wringer over this too. 

The  money received, regardless of where it came from, was income, and has to be declared. It could face a variety of different treatments based on how the income is classified. But regardless it still has to be declared. At any amount. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

What about the student athletes getting sent to prison or fined?  Technically this is tax evasion right???  I can't receive a proven monetary gift over $15k without paying taxes on it I thought?  

Just asking, not trying to argue a point. If anyone knows for sure, chime in please. 

8 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Certainly the individual players could get their tit in a wringer over this too. 

The  money received, regardless of where it came from, was income, and has to be declared. It could face a variety of different treatments based on how the income is classified. But regardless it still has to be declared. At any amount. 

Not positive but in most of these cases the money didn't go directly to a player. It usually went to a family member or a coach/mentor; those folks are in trouble if they didn't claim it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

Clearly, it is time for the NCAA to address this quickly and decisively.  BSU, sorry, you have a lack of institutional control.  Now you have to pay the price...

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just drop it in here. How excited are you to renew the states 2nd biggest rivalry tomorrow (behind C of I and NNU, of course)!? I hear it's supposed to be the first sellout at Holt Arena in 30 years. 

I'm gunna try and watch as much as I can. Normally, I pull for Idaho, but since it's all in-state I find myself rooting for the Bengals. It seems like they view it as a rivalry where vandalfan doesn't... can you imagine such a thing? Anyway, I think it would be best for this far too long dormant rivalry if Idaho State could pull it off. They actually aren't bad this year, either. 

• Facepalm 1