AggieSox

USU vs BYU Friday Night Game

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Not sure why, but I think they will get better. I wish they would join a Conference. I don't think the scheduling pattern they have set up currently is either sustainable or conducive to providing a good barometer of how good/bad BYU really is in comparison to their cohorts (other G5 teams). 

It isn't that difficult to see.

For Boise State:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, relatively high percentage of Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

For BYU:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, extremely high percentage of  Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of change in dynamic in main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

It just, works, for both of us. It is a good series for both programs, we already love to hate each other (but not to the hyper toxic levels of Ute/Coug and Bronco/Vandal hatred), we sell our stadiums out when we play, the fanbases have a lot of similarities (as hard as that is to admit).

Let me be clear about one thing; this is NOT a RIVALRY in the sense that Utah/BYU or BSU/Idaho was. But it is definitely developing in to a nice rivalry (emphasis on lower case L) for both of us and is good all around.

It would be great if it were a good win. They have the resources and ability to be a regular top-25 team. They haven't done much recently to help Boise's schedule strength. 

Guest #1Stunner

Teams BYU has played this year, that USU would beat:

McNeese State

Teams USU has played this year, that BYU would beat:

Michigan St

NM State

Tennessee Tech

AFA

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

It would be great if it were a good win. They have the resources and ability to be a regular top-25 team. They haven't done much recently to help Boise's schedule strength. 

BYU has had 1 bad season since we started a scheduling agreement Boise.   Last year.   BYU has otherwise been pretty solid, at least.

What are your expectations?   We ain't Bama.

Besides, what is "schedule strength" going to do?  Boise is G5.  Schedule strength doesn't mean anything.   All that matters is going undefeated.

4 hours ago, madmartigan said:

one of BYUs official locker room goals is “win the rivalries” the three listed rivals are: Utah, BSU, USU. Good enough for me. The BSU “rivalry” is odd to me given that BYU has only played BSU 8 times, has never been in the same conference, is not in the same state, and has lost 2/3 of the time. USU is historically closer in terms of geography and outcome. 

Um, they've lost 3/4 of the time. Just sayin'... 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU has had 1 bad season since we started a scheduling agreement Boise.   Last year.   BYU has otherwise been pretty sold, at least.

What are your expectations?   We ain't Bama.

How about a top - 25 every once in a while?

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

The Borg has many things wrong with it, but a dearth of foxy women is not one of them. The chicks might be insane cultists of some kind, or at least have that demeanor, but that doesn't take away from their physical beauty. 

Honestly, UU, USU, BYU, all have a wealth of hot co-eds among them. Utah in general has some of the best looking women in the country IMO. 

You don't get around much do you?

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

How about a top - 25 every once in a while?

BYU was ranked in the top 25 for 2 weeks of this season already.   

We lost to Washington, who would probably also blow out Boise, and Cal, who has also been ranked this season.

How easy do you think it is to be ranked?   Especially when you play more than 2 P5s per year.   Half of the MWC hasn't been ranked in decades.

15 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

Oh yes Preston, and Franklin. Idaho where aggies go to buy real beer, and lottery tickets, only 15 minutes away.

Preach brother. My hometown is happy all you Utahans support its local economy.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I really feel like if BYU can pressure Love, they will cause him into making some mistakes. I haven’t been impressed with how Love handles pressure at times which has led to poor decision making, as he has already thrown some lame ducks for picks. One that sticks with me is his pick he threw against NMSU in the second qtr when the score was 16-10. Love was pressured and just heaved up an ill advised pass that was easily picked off in the end zone, but was called back because of a roughing the passer penalty on NMSU. We go down a few plays later and score a TD to push the score to 23-10 and the rout was on. No doubt that play was the turning point in the entire game. There was another moment early on in the Tennessee Tech game where, again, he was pressured and threw it to the sideline (I think it might have been a bubble screen) directly to a TT player who dropped it. Any FBS DB would’ve taken that one back for an uncontested pick 6. For as talented as Love is, there have been some mind-baffling choices made by him when the heat is on.

Aside from Michigan State, who also hasn’t seemed very impressive in the early going, we have played some very low quality competition. I even think Tenn Tech is still winless and one of the worst FCS teams in the country. I think our offense is in for a rude awakening tonight as this will be arguably the best defense we will face all year. 

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

26 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU was ranked in the top 25 for 2 weeks of this season already.   

We lost to Washington, who would probably also blow out Boise, and Cal, who has also been ranked this season.

How easy do you think it is to be ranked?   Especially when you play more than 2 P5s per year.   Half of the MWC hasn't been ranked in decades.

Pretty easy... Boise has done it 17 straight seasons... and I mean when Boise plays them, when it matters. 

tenor-11.gif

4 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Not sure why, but I think they will get better. I wish they would join a Conference. I don't think the scheduling pattern they have set up currently is either sustainable or conducive to providing a good barometer of how good/bad BYU really is in comparison to their cohorts (other G5 teams). 

It isn't that difficult to see.

For Boise State:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, relatively high percentage of Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

For BYU:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, extremely high percentage of  Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of change in dynamic in main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

It just, works, for both of us. It is a good series for both programs, we already love to hate each other (but not to the hyper toxic levels of Ute/Coug and Bronco/Vandal hatred), we sell our stadiums out when we play, the fanbases have a lot of similarities (as hard as that is to admit).

Let me be clear about one thing; this is NOT a RIVALRY in the sense that Utah/BYU or BSU/Idaho was. But it is definitely developing in to a nice rivalry (emphasis on lower case L) for both of us and is good all around.

That's how I feel about it.  

I think it gets renewed for a long time.  It's usually a high attendance game for both teams.

Boise has just been a juggernaut that's hard to beat.  I thought you guys would take a step back with Harsin, but things have just kept going like clockwork.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

One bad year doesn't make it a good or bad win.  BYU has helped your SoS every year we've played except for last year.

BYU has been benchmarking from 30-50 most years we've played, and that is a lot better than most of your OOC opponents and MWC opponents.

• Like 1

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

57 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

I really feel like if BYU can pressure Love, they will cause him into making some mistakes. I haven’t been impressed with how Love handles pressure at times which has led to poor decision making, as he has already thrown some lame ducks for picks. One that sticks with me is his pick he threw against NMSU in the second qtr when the score was 16-10. Love was pressured and just heaved up an ill advised pass that was easily picked off in the end zone, but was called back because of a roughing the passer penalty on NMSU. We go down a few plays later and score a TD to push the score to 23-10 and the rout was on. No doubt that play was the turning point in the entire game. There was another moment early on in the Tennessee Tech game where, again, he was pressured and threw it to the sideline (I think it might have been a bubble screen) directly to a TT player who dropped it. Any FBS DB would’ve taken that one back for an uncontested pick 6. For as talented as Love is, there have been some mind-baffling choices made by him when the heat is on.

Aside from Michigan State, who also hasn’t seemed very impressive in the early going, we have played some very low quality competition. I even think Tenn Tech is still winless and one of the worst FCS teams in the country. I think our offense is in for a rude awakening tonight as this will be arguably the best defense we will face all year. 

That's the big if.   Can they create pressure?  I have my doubts watching the pass rushing technique of their lineman and the statistical evidence of 6 total team sacks (4 by Kaufusi) and 3 hurries this year.   I also don't think a lot of 5 man blitzes are wise against USU and Love.  He's picked up the hot routes all year and the 4-3 isn't the most confusing defense to bring a 5th man out of.   However, if they can't get pressure they will have to try. Key to the game.   Love has been stripped a couple times and has made a couple of really bad decisions where he should have thrown the ball away when pressured. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hickaggie said:

That's the big if.   Can they create pressure?  I have my doubts watching the pass rushing technique of their lineman and the statistical evidence of 6 total team sacks (4 by Kaufusi) and 3 hurries this year.   I also don't think a lot of 5 man blitzes are wise against USU and Love.  He's picked up the hot routes all year and the 4-3 isn't the most confusing defense to bring a 5th man out of.   However, if they can't get pressure they will have to try. Key to the game.   Love has been stripped a couple times and has made a couple of really bad decisions where he should have thrown the ball away when pressured. 

I don't think they pressure him much unless the quality of your line is way worse than the lines we've seen.  Wisconsin has a good line and we had some pressure in that game.    

BYU fans have been clamoring for more blitzes.  

Is it going to rain tonight?  That could affect things as well.

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

One bad year doesn't make it a good or bad win.  BYU has helped your SoS every year we've played except for last year.

BYU has been benchmarking from 30-50 most years we've played, and that is a lot better than most of your OOC opponents and MWC opponents.

You're selling yourselves short. BYU should be better than that. They are the only G5 averaging 60k+ and have the largest budget among them. They SHOULD be a better team than most of them. But beating a 7 or 8 win team doesn't do much. How about coming into the game as a top-25 match up? 

download-2.jpg