AggieSox

USU vs BYU Friday Night Game

2 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

it most definitely is that way

the vast majority of byu fans are a.) not from utah and b.) totally unaware of who utah state is.  @#1Stunner can attest.  we aren't rivals.

@RogueStout note the silence. We're not rivals so much that stungun won't even comment one way or another

That's how little he cares

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

it most definitely is that way

the vast majority of byu fans are a.) not from utah and b.) totally unaware of who utah state is.  @#1Stunner can attest.  we aren't rivals.

A.  True

B.  True (Freemason Virginia Mormons)

C.  False.  BYU and USU are sibling rivals.  

BYU vs USU is the biggest rivalry there is between Mormon Universities.

USU vs UVU is the 2nd biggest Mormon rivalry.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

It sure seems like it is to USU fans.

As an outsider with nothing to really compare it to, I don’t know why this wouldn’t be a big rivalry to Aggies, and probably a minor rivalry to Cougar fans.

The biggest BYU fans are USU fans. USU fans closely follow BYU.  If you want to learn more about BYU's football team...talk to a USU fan.

BYU is USU's #1 rival.  No other school comes close.

BYU has 3 rivals now.

Utah, Boise, USU.   

Boise is now the school that makes BYU fans' blood boil the most.  @BroncoOrange.  Boise is ranked every year.  They are the best football program in the Intermountain West.  Dominating BYU, Utah, USU...even Wyoming.

We used to have a few others, Hawaii being one.  But you need to play every year to be a rivalry.  

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, hickaggie said:

No, we just got to win the next 6 games.  Apparently, a rival to a BYU fan is an instate team they never beat.  Seriously I don't give a damn.  Being a graduate of both schools I like nothing better than to hear BYU fans whine about how the world is ending if they lose to lowly old USU yet say they don't care on the other hand. One thing for sure.   its a rivalry to the kids who played against each other in high school.  I think USU has 35 Utah kids, not sure about the Zoobs.

It's a rivalry.

And Mantua is now BYU territory.

There will be two kids from Mantua playing for BYU tommorow.

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The biggest BYU fans are USU fans. USU fans closely follow BYU.  If you want to learn more about BYU's football team...talk to a USU fan.

BYU is USU's #1 rival.  No other school comes close.

BYU has 3 rivals now.

Utah, Boise, USU.   

Boise is now the school that makes BYU fans' blood boil the most.  @BroncoOrange.  Boise is ranked every year.  They are the best football program in the Intermountain West.  Dominating BYU, Utah, USU...even Wyoming.

We used to have a few others, Hawaii being one.  But you need to play every year to be a rivalry.  

I can only imagine how big the BSU/BYU rivalry would be for Cougar fans if the two teams had played more than the 8 times or if they’d ever been in the same conference.  I suppose USU can also claim Nebraska as a rival as they’ve played the same number of games and with about the same degree of success that BYU has had with BSU.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, utaggies said:

I can only imagine how big the BSU/BYU rivalry would be for Cougar fans if the two teams had played more than the 8 times or if they’d ever been in the same conference.  I suppose USU can also claim Nebraska as a rival as they’ve played the same number of games and with about the same degree of success that BYU has had with BSU.

It's just stunner being stunner. Byu is not a rival of bsu. It's been a horrible long term deal signed by an ad no longer here.  So glad the contract is almost up and no new one will be signed. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

24 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

It's just stunner being stunner. Byu is not a rival of bsu. It's been a horrible long term deal signed by an ad no longer here.  So glad the contract is almost up and no new one will be signed. 

It’s one of our best gates every other season.

This will get renewed. I don’t  make certain declarative statement on here very often, but you can take this one to the bank.

• Like 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

21 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

This will get renewed. I don’t  make certain declarative statement on here very often, but you can take this one to the bank.

Yeah, it's a great game for both schools. I just wish BYU was better. 

• Like 1

one of BYUs official locker room goals is “win the rivalries” the three listed rivals are: Utah, BSU, USU. Good enough for me. The BSU “rivalry” is odd to me given that BYU has only played BSU 8 times, has never been in the same conference, is not in the same state, and has lost 2/3 of the time. USU is historically closer in terms of geography and outcome. 

• Like 1

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

It's not getting renewed.  Being stuck playing byu every year is bad for the program. 

• Haha 1

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

I thought Boise was going to take Byu with them to the Big 12?  Why would they cancel?   Does not make sense.  

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, utaggies said:

Alls I know is that the BYU vs Boise game will be SOLD OUT.   Ticket prices are insane!  The passion is unreal.

BYU vs Boise is the Battle to own Idaho.  

There will also be a neutral site Basketball game between Boise and BYU in Idaho Falls, who is building a USU sized arena.   It's going to be huge.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

one of BYUs official locker room goals is “win the rivalries” the three listed rivals are: Utah, BSU, USU. Good enough for me. The BSU “rivalry” is odd to me given that BYU has only played BSU 8 times, has never been in the same conference, is not in the same state, and has lost 2/3 of the time. USU is historically closer in terms of geography and outcome. 

For some reason, some of the USU fans have gotten upset by the emergence of the BYU vs Boise rivalry. 

Don't worry...., USU vs BYU will still be a [sibling] rivalry.  That's not going away.  USU vs BYU is huge.  Battle of the Navy Blue and White.

But..... USU doesn't really have a chance to be as big of a rival with Boise as BYU.  The "secret sauce" BYU has is that there are a lot of Mormons in Idaho, most of whom are Boise or BYU fans.  And that the largest enrollment University in the State of Idaho is now BYU-Idaho.  Tons of BYU fans live in the Boise area!!

Plus, Mormons having an affinity for Potatoes gets this BYU vs Boise rivalry fired up.

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

It's not getting renewed.  Being stuck playing byu every year is bad for the program. 

BYU needs these October / November games from Boise and USU, otherwise BYU will have to rejoin the MWC.

I'm just glad BYU has been ranked in the top 25 this season.  Beating Arizona and Wisconsin at their houses was amazing.  Now on to MWC play....

USU

Hawaii

Boise

NMSU (honorary MWC school)

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah, it's a great game for both schools. I just wish BYU was better. 

Not sure why, but I think they will get better. I wish they would join a Conference. I don't think the scheduling pattern they have set up currently is either sustainable or conducive to providing a good barometer of how good/bad BYU really is in comparison to their cohorts (other G5 teams). 

43 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

It isn't that difficult to see.

For Boise State:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, relatively high percentage of Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

For BYU:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, extremely high percentage of  Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of change in dynamic in main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

It just, works, for both of us. It is a good series for both programs, we already love to hate each other (but not to the hyper toxic levels of Ute/Coug and Bronco/Vandal hatred), we sell our stadiums out when we play, the fanbases have a lot of similarities (as hard as that is to admit).

Let me be clear about one thing; this is NOT a RIVALRY in the sense that Utah/BYU or BSU/Idaho was. But it is definitely developing in to a nice rivalry (emphasis on lower case L) for both of us and is good all around.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, RogueStout said:

Not sure why, but I think they will get better. I wish they would join a Conference. I don't think the scheduling pattern they have set up currently is either sustainable or conducive to providing a good barometer of how good/bad BYU really is in comparison to their cohorts (other G5 teams). 

It isn't that difficult to see.

For Boise State:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, relatively high percentage of Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

For BYU:

Close proximity, some amount of overlap in the fan bases, extremely high percentage of  Mormon fans, highly successful G5/Non BCS/Mid Major/whatever the term is, loss of change in dynamic in main Rivalry due to Conference realignment.

It just, works, for both of us. It is a good series for both programs, we already love to hate each other (but not to the hyper toxic levels of Ute/Coug and Bronco/Vandal hatred), we sell our stadiums out when we play, the fanbases have a lot of similarities (as hard as that is to admit).

Let me be clear about one thing; this is NOT a RIVALRY in the sense that Utah/BYU or BSU/Idaho was. But it is definitely developing in to a nice rivalry (emphasis on lower case L) for both of us and is good all around.

Agreed.  It's also nice having a rivalry that isn't toxic.  Boise is all class.  

We need to get Eastern Idaho involved.

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

No way ESPN allows that.  

ESPN loves this game!!!