crixus

MLB Playoffs

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Red Sox train has been rolling all year. I can’t see it running off the tracks with a 2-0 lead. I was surprised they handled a very good Astro team 4-1. They may sweep this series. The Dodgers lack great pitching to stop them. On top of that they are driving in runs with clutch hitting with two outs which the Dodgers haven’t done well all year. The Dodgers need to take at least two of three at home. 

You live by the Homerun, you die by the Homerun. The Red Sox have discipline at the plate - something the Yankees and now Dodgers don’t have. Sabermetrics ain’t the end all be all. 

2 hours ago, crixus said:

Dave Roberts has killed the Dodgers chances in the World Series, just like he did last year. First he takes out Baez in game 1 when Baez was pitching well. The move backfired and led to more runs for the Sox. Then he goes with Madson again in Game 2 even though Madson blew it in game 1. It's Dave Roberts going with Yu Darvish all over again, only the names have changed. He insists on throwing pitchers out there who are slumping because he thinks they'll work their way out of it. You can do that in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. And especially not in the World Series. But Roberts is stubborn when it comes to pitchers. But he has no problem pulling a slumping hitter. There's a lot of Dodgers fans here in SoCal that aren't happy with Roberts right now. And I'm one of them. I watch Access Dodgers on Spectrum cable and the panel (Orel Hershisher, Nomar Garciaparra and Jerry Hairston) all agreed that if LA doesn't win game 3 you can expect to hear some "boos" going Roberts way in game 4. I thought Don Mattingly was bad at handling pitchers, but Dave Roberts is worse. Tommy Lasorda (a former pitcher) was good at it, and it lead to two World Series titles in 1981 and 1988.

Former pitchers aren’t typically very good managers. Tommy Losorda was an exception. John Farrell sucked in Boston.

Also, I heard today that Dave Roberts doesn’t have full control of his starting lineups and that he’s being forced to stick to a script based solely on Sabermetrics. If that’s the case, there’s a bigger problem right there. You have to give the reigns and let your manager manage. 

2 hours ago, babigos said:

Former pitchers aren’t typically very good managers. Tommy Losorda was an exception. John Farrell sucked in Boston.

Also, I heard today that Dave Roberts doesn’t have full control of his starting lineups and that he’s being forced to stick to a script based solely on Sabermetrics. If that’s the case, there’s a bigger problem right there. You have to give the reigns and let your manager manage. 

I saw Dave Roberts on the KNBC 4 LA sports segment last night and he said what I posted earlier, that he believes in sticking with his pitchers even when they're slumping (Madson is a prime example). And he's done that two World Series in a row (Darvish last year). I disagree with that philosophy, as do the guys on Access Dodgers on Spectrum cable. I wish it was a national show instead of just here in SoCal because it's really good. Ned Colletti, the former Dodgers GM is on it from time to time and he's said the same thing that Orel Hershisher, Nomar Garciaparra and Jerry Hairston said which I mentioned earlier - Dave Roberts doesn't handle pitchers well, and it really shows in the World Series. I think Boston is the better team overall and that's why they're the favorite. But Roberts poor handling of pitchers is making it harder on the Dodgers than it should be.

1 hour ago, crixus said:

I saw Dave Roberts on the KNBC 4 LA sports segment last night and he said what I posted earlier, that he believes in sticking with his pitchers even when they're slumping (Madson is a prime example). And he's done that two World Series in a row (Darvish last year). I disagree with that philosophy, as do the guys on Access Dodgers on Spectrum cable. I wish it was a national show instead of just here in SoCal because it's really good. Ned Colletti, the former Dodgers GM is on it from time to time and he's said the same thing that Orel Hershisher, Nomar Garciaparra and Jerry Hairston said which I mentioned earlier - Dave Roberts doesn't handle pitchers well, and it really shows in the World Series. I think Boston is the better team overall and that's why they're the favorite. But Roberts poor handling of pitchers is making it harder on the Dodgers than it should be.

I don’t think it’s just his pitchers he’s handling poorly. He started all righties against David Price. He let Price get into a rhythm in game 2 against an all right handed lineup. He was never made to feel unconfortable. Meanwhile, Muncy and Bellinger were riding pine. Price must have been licking his chops.

1 hour ago, babigos said:

I don’t think it’s just his pitchers he’s handling poorly. He started all righties against David Price. He let Price get into a rhythm in game 2 against an all right handed lineup. He was never made to feel unconfortable. Meanwhile, Muncy and Bellinger were riding pine. Price must have been licking his chops.

I mentioned the all righties thing earlier in this mega thread. Why take a chance of cooling off a hot Bellinger if you don't have to? Fox Sports has talked about the two cerebral Managers of this World Series. So far the only smart one has been Cora. I like Roberts as a human being, but his managerial decisions are very frustrating. :pullhair:

• Like 1

I got home just in time to see Pederson hit it out. Kudos to Buehler's arm so far. I hope he makes it through at least six innings. 

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

I love that goofy ass kid

Me too. He seems like a real guy, what you see is what you get. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Dodgers are back to that "swing for the fences" attitude.  Porcello a relatively easy 52 pitches through four innings.

That's on Roberts. If he didn't approve then they'd try to get base hits. I'm disappointed in his playoff management for the second year in a row. 

Nice play CT3. :rock:

Lazy assed Machado. :rolleyes: C'mon man, put the TEAM first. It's the freakin' World Series!!!

Walker Bueller should teach mind over matter courses in the off season. I sure could use his advice!

Good hustle on the base path by Puig...for a change. Normally he stands and stares at the outfield wall like Machado.

Too bad we didn't get any insurance runs. 1-0 doesn't seem very safe to me even with Kenleyfornia on the mound.

Kenleyfornia Republic Flag

12 minutes ago, crixus said:

Too bad we didn't get any insurance runs. 1-0 doesn't seem very safe to me even with Kenleyfornia on the mound.

Kenleyfornia Republic Flag

Unfortunately, I was right. :huh: Were now tied 1-1.