lawofthejunglenv

Nevada vs Fresno St

3 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

I'm reading the Barkboard right now. I've counted a handful of dudes who are bragging about how the Fresno D is going to knockout Gangi out of the game and whoever the backup is too. It's a regular old Blue Turf Board! Congrats

If you're referring to jmckune's post, he's not a T___F at all. He is stating that an unhealthy Gangi would be a sitting duck in the pocket. Jmckune is a knowledgeable guy. If there are any others saying so then it's probably more bravado than anything else. 

2 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

If you're referring to jmckune's post, he's not a T___F at all. He is stating that an unhealthy Gangi would be a sitting duck in the pocket. Jmckune is a knowledgeable guy. If there are any others saying so then it's probably more bravado than anything else. 

tbh i genuinely hope no more opposing QBs decide to play fullback like Gudagni did.   Don't like seeing head injuries.

• Like 4

Anyway, I think Fresno state will have trouble with Nevada's DL.  FS lost its best lineman and the replacement players gave up two sacks in one game to Toledo, which almost never happens here. 

Mannix broke free last year and got a big gain on the Dogs late in the game--I think his speed may present challenges again, but the secondary looked very stiff last week and gave up very little YAC in meaningful time. 

I think that if Gangi is out, it will be a fairly one-sided game. If he's in and healthy, he will make a big difference.

Aside from the pass rush and a few standouts (like Rufus and Reed), Nevada's defense isn't particularly scary, unless I'm missing something. 

Taua has looked legit this year and Tedford mentioned him a couple times in the press conference. Fresno State didn't look as sharp v. the run against Toledo as it normally does, but even then, Allison was containing the run even when he was the only LB in the box. Still, I think Taua is tougher to bring down than Toledo's RBs. I could see him doing pretty well. 

I don't expect a blowout, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. Fresno just got done scrimmaging against a big-time offense with a lot of pass-catching weapons. OTOH, Nevada's D looked more disciplined than it has in years vs. AFA. Maybe my analysis is off. I think Nevada's best chance is to go all in for turnovers and stretch its drives out to keep McMariyon off the field. If you haven't watched him play this year, he looks like a much better QB than he was last year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Anyway, I think Fresno state will have trouble with Nevada's DL.  FS lost its best lineman and the replacement players gave up two sacks in one game to Toledo, which almost never happens here. 

Mannix broke free last year and got a big gain on the Dogs late in the game--I think his speed may present challenges again, but the secondary looked very stiff last week and gave up very little YAC in meaningful time. 

I think that if Gangi is out, it will be a fairly one-sided game. If he's in and healthy, he will make a big difference.

Aside from the pass rush and a few standouts (like Rufus and Reed), Nevada's defense isn't particularly scary, unless I'm missing something. 

Taua has looked legit this year and Tedford mentioned him a couple times in the press conference. Fresno State didn't look as sharp v. the run against Toledo as it normally does, but even then, Allison was containing the run even when he was the only LB in the box. Still, I think Taua is tougher to bring down than Toledo's RBs. I could see him doing pretty well. 

I don't expect a blowout, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened. Fresno just got done scrimmaging against a big-time offense with a lot of pass-catching weapons. OTOH, Nevada's D looked more disciplined than it has in years vs. AFA. Maybe my analysis is off. I think Nevada's best chance is to go all in for turnovers and stretch its drives out to keep McMariyon off the field. If you haven't watched him play this year, he looks like a much better QB than he was last year. 

there was one sack, and it was during that awkward sequence at the end of the first half where we just putzed around.    The only real pressure toledo got was during the sequence that Woodley got subbed in for Abbs at LG and struggled mightily, resulting in that pick.

3 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

there was one sack, and it was during that awkward sequence at the end of the first half where we just putzed around.    The only real pressure toledo got was during the sequence that Woodley got subbed in for Abbs at LG and struggled mightily, resulting in that pick.

Sorry--I counted Woodley's play as a sack, but I guess it technically wasn't. Functionally it seemed like a sack + interception, though. 

McMaryion picked apart Nevada last year and he appears to be playing better football. Keeping the ball out of his hands will obviously be the objective but if Solano is the guy under center Fresno is going to put 8 men in the box and dare him to beat him with his arm. That's not a great scenario for Nevada but it's very likely. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

13 minutes ago, JADogs05 said:

Sorry--I counted Woodley's play as a sack, but I guess it technically wasn't. Functionally it seemed like a sack + interception, though. 

yeah he did poorly, i was surprised.  Gave up a first-down pressure that blew up a play and resulted in an incompletion, too.

I still have nightmares about that 2005 Game. Luckily this isn’t a late November game. Fresno should roll. I’m just afraid this game is in a perfect “letdown” position. Nevada is a good team. Definitely not a team to overlook. 

As far as knocking out your QB, I know most Bulldog fans definitely don’t wish for it to happen, including myself. This defense has just been knocking Heads something nasty. So, putting in a banged up Gangi is just a scary thought. 

• Like 1

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

7 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

I still have nightmares about that 2005 Game. Luckily this isn’t a late November game. Fresno should roll. I’m just afraid this game is in a perfect “letdown” position. Nevada is a good team. Definitely not a team to overlook. 

As far as knocking out your QB, I know most Bulldog fans definitely don’t wish for it to happen, including myself. This defense has just been knocking Heads something nasty. So, putting in a banged up Gangi is just a scary thought. 

Yeah and Nevada always plays us tough.  This game has me nervous.   Looking at the odds we should win but who knows. 

20 hours ago, battle.borne said:

It's easy not to be cocky actually. We are fans and we don't suit up on game days. Let the players be cocky.

Lol.  Tell that to your own fan base the last 2+ years.  Or do basketball fans not count?  It is fair if they don't, as sports played with spherical balls are just fun distractions in the off season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Lol.  Tell that to your own fan base the last 2+ years.  Or do basketball fans not count?  It is fair if they don't, as sports played with spherical balls are just fun distractions in the off season.

Found it a bit interesting too. 

21 hours ago, battle.borne said:

Fresno fans have really gotten cocky after 1 1/4 seasons of playing good football. Is that a record??

Definitely... but it's kinda fun having them back after a multi year hiatus. Beating shetty Fresno teams is boring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JADogs05 said:

Found it a bit interesting too. 

It is pretty much message board law that with any moderate success, the homers will become insufferable to other fan bases.  See in CSU after the 2014 season, SDSU, Wyoming after a mediocre 2016 and 2017 etc...

And of course Boise fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It is pretty much message board law that with any moderate success, the homers will become insufferable to other fan bases.  See in CSU after the 2014 season, SDSU, Wyoming after a mediocre 2016 and 2017 etc...

And of course Boise fans.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

LOL

FbPack coming strong with the dumbshit. I don't even know that handle but congrats on finding the one poster who was acting like Fresno football fans.

• Facepalm 1

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

5 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

LOL

FbPack coming strong with the dumbshit. I don't even know that handle but congrats on finding the one poster who was acting like Fresno football fans.

It’s not just him acting cocky, but I get it. You’re gonna homer about your homer fans. 

• Like 1