UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

DATE: Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018
KICKOFF: 1:08 pm PT
SITE: Sam Boyd Stadium (35,500/SPRINTURF), Las Vegas
TV: AT&T SportsNet (Drew Goodman, Sed Bonner & Brad Thompson)
RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Russ Langer, Caleb Herring & Steve Cofield)

UNLV (2-2/0-0) looks to win its first three home games for the first time since 2000 when it opens Mountain West play by hosting New Mexico (2-2/0-0) in what is the league debut for both teams

UNLV is 13-23 in conference openers, including 9-9 when they take place at home

Rebel head coach Tony Sanchez is 3-0 in MW lid-lifters making him the first UNLV leader to win his first three

The Rebels a 12-11 lead in the all-time series 

UNLV has taken six of the last eight vs. UNM, including three of the last four at home, The Lobos, however, won the most recent Las Vegas meeting, 31-28, in 2014

Eight of the last 13 games played between the two programs have been decided by 7 points or less

UNM has passed for exactly five combined yards in the last two meetings with UNLV, including zero last fall in Albuquerque

UNLV sits third in the nation with 336.5 yards per game rushing behind only option-based attacks Navy and Georgia Tech

UNLV’s defense has already equaled its QB sack total from a year ago with 11 in four games

UNLV is 13 of 17 in red zone scoring with 11 TD's and 2 FG's

UNLV defeated opponents by at least four touchdowns in back-to-back games (UTEP and Prairie View A&M) for the first time since elevating to NCAA Division I in 1978 and for the first time overall since 1975 when future NFL head coach Ron Meyer’s squad beat Jackson State 39-2 and then Nebraska-Omaha 35-6

UNLV 100-YARD RUSH GAMES
1. 17      Mike Thomas 1973-74
2. 16      Tim Cornett 2011-14
3. 15      Lexington Thomas     2015-SA
4.  11     Dominique Dorsey     2001-04
5.  10     Kirk Jones     1983-86
     10    Mack Gilchrist 1968-70

UNLV CAREER RUSH YARDS
1.     3,733      Tim Cornett 2010-13
2.     3,149      Mike Thomas 1973-74
3.     2,953     Lexington Thomas     2015-SA
4.      2,834     Dominique Dorsey     2001-04
5.     2,656     Kirk Jones     1983-86
6.     2,536      Michael Morton 1978-81
7.     2,013     Joe Haro     1998-2002
8.     1,932     Omar Love     1992-96
9.     1,925     Ickey Woods     1984-87
10.    1,861     James Wofford     1997-2000

UNLV CAREER RUSH TDs
1.     37          Mike Thomas 1973-74
2.     35          Tim Cornett 2010-13
3.     33          Lexington Thomas     2015-SA
4.     25         Mack Gilcrhist 1968-71
5.     24         Jason Thomas     2000-02

• Like 1

Battle of the backups. So far Lobos have lost 6 starters for the year and are going with 3rd string QB Shirion Jones with true freshman Trae Hall as the backup. The offense will be taylored to Jones skill set so look for things to open up a bit. Defensively look for both teams to put points as we can't stop the pass or the run and neither can UNLV LOL!

Could this game be losers coach gets fired? Would that then make them the winner? :hmmm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Battle of the backups. So far Lobos have lost 6 starters for the year and ae going with 3rd string QB Shirion Jones with true freshman Trae Hall as the backup. The offense will be taylored to Jobes skill set so look for things to open up a bit. Defensively look for both teams to put points as we can't stop the pass or the run and neither can UNLV LOL!

Could this game be losers coach gets fired? Would that then make them the winner? :hmmm:

Looking as an outsider at both of these programs and it's very hard to see where either goes.  Davie is as close to the Walking Dead as there is. Sanchez has not managed to make any significant progress that's noticeable from the outside. UNM is shedding athletic budget. UNLV likes to hire on the cheap. Recruiting to both schools seems a  near impossible task to  maintain at a  competitive level. So, gadget offenses that succeed or fail based on the talent of one or two guys is the order of the day.

Of the two, Rebs have the more fixable situation. The new stadium will help and so will an INDOOR practice facility but management needs to pull their collective heads out their proverbial asses and go get a credible field general. You're going to need a splash hire. A BIG splash hire.

Lobos. i have no idea how you fix your shitshow. Go get a guy from Niumatalolo's or Monken's staff and commit to a system that can succeed with "B" talent. i understand that's what Davie has been trying to do (somewhat) but he's spent.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Looking as an outsider at both of these programs and it's very hard to see where either goes.  Davie is as close to the Walking Dead as there is. Sanchez has not managed to make any significant progress that's noticeable from the outside. UNM is shedding athletic budget. UNLV likes to hire on the cheap. Recruiting to both schools seems a  near impossible task to  maintain at a  competitive level. So, gadget offenses that succeed or fail based on the talent of one or two guys is the order of the day.

Lobos. i have no idea how you fix your shitshow. Go get a guy from Niumatalolo's or Monken's staff and commit to a system that can succeed with "B" talent. i understand that's what Davie has been trying to do (somewhat) but he's spent.

Things have changed in Loboland as we are not married to the TO anymore and recruiting has picked up quite nicely with new OC Calvin Magee. All of our verbals are 3* recruit with some being borderline 4*. 

The triple wasn't too friendly to our QBs health, plus teams were finally catching up with it. A gadget offense only takes you so far we had to update to this century. What we need is stud CBs & LBs for this defense to work and a better DC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Battle of the backups. So far Lobos have lost 6 starters for the year and are going with 3rd string QB Shirion Jones with true freshman Trae Hall as the backup. The offense will be taylored to Jones skill set so look for things to open up a bit. Defensively look for both teams to put points as we can't stop the pass or the run and neither can UNLV LOL!

Recall not too many years ago the Lobos limped into Sam Boyd with a 3rd string QB who ended up rushing for something like 150 yards and a W 

If the Lobos don't score more than 40 they will lose big.  Lobos D is very soft but has a decent O so this may turn into a scoring fest.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

Guest RoscoesDad

3rd string QB for UNM? 

UNLV is screwed.  Take UNM money line all day long, he'll tear our shit up and look like a Heisman candidate.

Seen this movie before.

I don't have AT&T  So if anyone has a link for the game it would be greatly appreciated.

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

27 minutes ago, Hoser said:

I don't have AT&T  So if anyone has a link for the game it would be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

I need one also.  Anybody,  anybody......

AT&T was just added to Dish - if that's what you have 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.