Headbutt

CSU Prez is moving on

https://source.colostate.edu/president-frank-transitioning-to-full-time-csu-system-chancellor-role-in-july-2019/

He's been arguably the most athletically involved president in the university's history, so it'll be interesting to see where we go next.  The regents approved the stadium overwhelmingly so I doubt they're interested in candidates that aren't focused on filling seats to make bond payments.

I've already sent LoFazz in as a candidate.  We'll see just how much pull I have with my alma mater.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

https://source.colostate.edu/president-frank-transitioning-to-full-time-csu-system-chancellor-role-in-july-2019/

He's been arguably the most athletically involved president in the university's history, so it'll be interesting to see where we go next.  The regents approved the stadium overwhelmingly so I doubt they're interested in candidates that aren't focused on filling seats to make bond payments.

I've already sent LoFazz in as a candidate.  We'll see just how much pull I have with my alma mater.

Are you happy with your AD?  That's the key.

9 minutes ago, slappy said:

Next guy has a big mess to clean up.  Athletics are in shambles.  I would concentrate on academics at this point.  

Our academics are fine.  Not a big deal to drive that luxury car.  Athletics are well funded, just need some better leadership.  New guy has to handle both, but the real focus needs to be research and improving our reputation among the elite universities.  AAU is the challenge that should be handed off to the new prez.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, aztech said:

Are you happy with your AD?  That's the key.

I am, most are not.  Most RAM fans can only remember two years ago and can only see about 12 mos. down the road.  Sad, but true.  Well, at least the vocal ones that frequent Ramnation.  Most that I know are of the same mind that I am.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Our academics are fine.  Not a big deal to drive that luxury car.  Athletics are well funded, just need some better leadership.  New guy has to handle both, but the real focus needs to be research and improving our reputation among the elite universities.  AAU is the challenge that should be handed off to the new prez.

Yeah just seems like a complete shit show there right now.  Hopefully the next guy can get it done a little better.  GL on the hire.   

4 hours ago, slappy said:

Yeah just seems like a complete shit show there right now.  Hopefully the next guy can get it done a little better.  GL on the hire.   

True.  But it is a shit show that could 180 at the drop of a hat with the right approach.  I think Bobo has the right approach in his head, but he doesn't look like the guy to implement it.  At the AD level, JP didn't hire Larry and he had a big fight to fire Larry.  I'm liking the new guy, a lot.  JP didn't hire Bobo, but he did extend him.  I'm in the minority as I think it was a good extension.  Unfortunately, Bobo's assistant hires appear to be busts.  They're taking him out with them.

As for prez...none of this AD stuff is rocket science.  That would work out with me or you as prez.  Bigger fish to fry in that office.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I am, most are not.  Most RAM fans can only remember two years ago and can only see about 12 mos. down the road.  Sad, but true.  Well, at least the vocal ones that frequent Ramnation.  Most that I know are of the same mind that I am.

Maybe the new president can upgrade the format at ramnation. Best money to spend , IMO. 

• Haha 5

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, madmartigan said:

Maybe the new president can upgrade the format at ramnation. Best money to spend , IMO. 

:D:thumbsup::D

Private site. Ain't happening.

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're nowhere close to getting into the AAU.  For one thing the next two publics in are indisputably Utah and then NC State.  After that, it's a jumble with about four or five that are strong universities (VaTech, CSU, Georgia, Cincinnati and probably a couple others), but that are nowhere near ready to meet the criteria.  Since there's zero chance of the AAU taking all or even most of them, CSU first needs to separate itself from that group and then become third in line.  Seeing as they admit new members at a glacial pace and you have to wait for them to take Utah and NCSU, I'd guess the chance is zero before 2030.

If you want a good listing of public universities ranked based on a lot of the criteria that the AAU uses, go to page 20 of this report.

http://mup.umass.edu/sites/default/files/mup-2015-top-american-research-universities-annual-report.pdf

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

17 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're nowhere close to getting into the AAU.  For one thing the next two publics in are indisputably Utah and then NC State.  After that, it's a jumble with about four or five that are strong universities (VaTech, CSU, Georgia, Cincinnati and probably a couple others), but that are nowhere near ready to meet the criteria.  Since there's zero chance of the AAU taking all or even most of them, CSU first needs to separate itself from that group and then become third in line.  Seeing as they admit new members at a glacial pace and you have to wait for them to take Utah and NCSU, I'd guess the chance is zero before 2030.

If you want a good listing of public universities ranked based on a lot of the criteria that the AAU uses, go to page 20 of this report.

http://mup.umass.edu/sites/default/files/mup-2015-top-american-research-universities-annual-report.pdf

I'm not sure how close we are or aren't.  I said that membership needs to be the challenge given the new president.  It's a goal that CSU has been working on.  As far as who's next in line or not, my understanding is that there isn't some sort of waiting list with an order to it.  Maybe I've heard wrong.  Again, not claiming this is imminent.  If it were, it wouldn't be a challenge.

I nominate Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho. He has a solution!

giphy.gif

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

I'm not sure how close we are or aren't.  I said that membership needs to be the challenge given the new president.  It's a goal that CSU has been working on.  As far as who's next in line or not, my understanding is that there isn't some sort of waiting list with an order to it.  Maybe I've heard wrong.  Again, not claiming this is imminent.  If it were, it wouldn't be a challenge.

There's no formal waiting list.  It's more of a quiet assumption in academia that Utah is clearly next public in followed by NC State with the latter not being quite the slam dunk that Utah is.  If you dig down into the MUP data, you really get a feel for where a university stands when compared both to publics alone and publics and privates combined.  There's more specific data that the AAU will use such as research dollars per tenured faculty member and some softer data too such as strength in the traditional arts & sciences (Ga Tech was kept out for years because they were seen as too one-dimensional).  It's not all just having a strong research medical school.  If that were the case, Cincinnati would already be in, but they're seen as an AAU level med school attached to a MAC level university.

Also, it's not going to be enough to be just better than the worst current members (Kansas, Missouri and the SUNY schools).  A school is probably going to have to fall somewhere in the third quartile when compared to current members to have a realistic shot.

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

4 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

How often does that report get updated?  Changes can occur after 3 years. 

Just now, aztech said:

How often does that report get updated?  Changes can occur after 3 years. 

I don't know.  But I'd be shocked to see any huge changes in the pecking order.  Those metrics aren't things that swing back and forth year-to-year.  A school with less than 10 National Academy members isn't suddenly going to have 40 or 50 a few years later.  A median SAT score of 1100 isn't going to be 1300 three years later.  I'd certainly think that CSU could have improved on some things in the meantime, but one would have to assume that the universities it's competing against aren't static and are showing improvements of their own.

Looking through the website, I did find one newer version.  In the public only ranking, two schools (Texas & Florida) that were in the top grouping fell out of it when one of their metrics no longer was top 25 among publics, leaving 8 in that group (Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin & North Carolina--5 of the 8 being B1G schoolsB)), so things can change, just not dramatically.  CSU actually slipped a little bit going from 1 metric in the top 25 and 5 more between 26 and 50 to having none in the top 25 and 5 26-50.

SteelCityBlue

7 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Interesting information and link.  I agree that Utah is most likely to be invited next.  I believe you wrote Cincinatti but meant  Connecticut not Cincinatti.  

My opinion is neither Georgia or North Carolina will get a third AAU member before Colorado gets a second.  Emory doesn't have top level NCAA sports but they are by far the top research and academic university in Georgia - Georgia Tech is still a bit better than Georgia as well. 

NC State does have better research funding than I realized but I think that the presence of Duke and UNC would cause the AAU to look elsewhere.  NC State would certainly benefit but it could be possible that UNC and Duke want to retain this distinction between themselves  and NC State because significant amounts of research dollars could be affected.

Ultimately the AAU member universities  receive the majority of federal research funding and so I think the logic of geography works the most.  Utah is a state without any AAU member so the addition would be seen as additive and unlikely to take research funds from nearby AAU members (Arizona, Colorado and UC Davis being the other universities in the immediate vicinity of the University of Utah.

Obviously Colorado State should adopt the best standards for their institution and generally aspiring to be a member of that organization is totally reasonable.  As the population of Colorado grows it becomes reasonable to imagine two AAU universities in the state but that's probably tens of millions of people from the current population.

I think Cincinnati is a more legitimate candidate than UCONN because of the med school, which I believe UCONN doesn't have. That being said, they're a pretty mediocre school across the board and have a horrible undergraduate reputation (I'd send a kid to UCONN over there any day) and won't get in any time soon.  Also, they're in a state with 2 strong AAU members already and a region that's pretty well saturated with them, so your geography angle definitely works against them. 

• Facepalm 1

SteelCityBlue

20 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

I think Cincinnati is a more legitimate candidate than UCONN because of the med school, which I believe UCONN doesn't have. That being said, they're a pretty mediocre school across the board and have a horrible undergraduate reputation (I'd send a kid to UCONN over there any day) and won't get in any time soon.  Also, they're in a state with 2 strong AAU members already and a region that's pretty well saturated with them, so your geography angle definitely works against them. 

I think the AAU (originating with the Ivy League's 'one per New England state except NY' structure) has a 'two school' east of the Mississippi and one school west of the Mississippi structure (except CA and Texas because of their size).

That was a good natured 'face-palming' because I did exactly that gesture when I read your post.