BSUTOP25

The ridiculous corporate jargon that makes you want to barf thread

12 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Engineers kept saying POC instead of proof of concept. And didnt spell out the letters either. Used it like an actual word.....

10 hours ago, renoskier said:

What does that even mean? How's it used in context?

10 hours ago, nomascows said:

Proof of concept is basically making and selling some.  Proving that people would be interested in your product.

I hate that everything is now a "solution".  You don't make hammers; you make precisely crafted striking instrument and materials joining solutions for the construction, domestic and maintenance industries.

9 hours ago, retrofade said:

See, we used proof of concept completely differently. Since we sold and implemented IT infrastructure, our POCs were essentially scaled back implementations for customers who were interested in the product, but wanted to try it out in their own shops to see how well it worked in their environment before committing to a sale. We usually only did this for really big customers, so our sales teams told us that it had to be done immediately, even though the company wasn't getting paid for it. The best part is that we only sold about 5% of these solutions, so we lost money on the whole in time and resources committed. It worked out for the sales teams that were able to sell them... the one I was the Project Manager for both the POC and deployment ended up being a $10M sale... of course, I worked my ass to make sure it worked and had to develop multiple workarounds that the sales teams (was a joint US/EMEA effort) didn't think of in order to make it actually work, otherwise it wouldn't have gone anywhere. I got a pat on the back for it... they racked in at least $100k/ea on commission. 

Hilarious... in my world, “POC” stands for “point of contact.” 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Well, it was low hanging fruit. 

I hired a guy with a masters degree, who was working at the university a couple of years ago. Many times during meetings, he will pencil in flow charts, action plans working groups and the like. I’m more of a guy who thinks that time spent planning and organizing the shit out of everything, is time that is better spent actually doing something. 

There are a lot of people in my line of work that I refer to as “meeting goers.” That is their comfort zone. They love “networking.” They bug me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

I hired a guy with a masters degree, who was working at the university a couple of years ago. Many times during meetings, he will pencil in flow charts, action plans workin groups and the like. I’m more of a guy who thinks that time spent planning and organizing the shit out of everything, is time that is better spent actually doing something. 

There are a lot of people in my line of work that I refer to as “meeting goers.” That is their comfort zone. They love “networking.” They bug me.

I tell our plethora of Project Mangers "Would you rather I talk about the work or would you like me to do the work".   Never goes over well with them.

• Like 1

The best phrase I have heard in a while was from our CIO.  There were about 20 people on a call discussing the problem of the hour, and it was just going in circles as usual.  Finally our CIO jumps in and says "I think we have thoroughly enjoyed this issue,  nashvillepoke, you and these two people get on a call and fix it."

I found it quite humorous.

"Get it out the door"

I don't hate it and use it all the time but i have to admit it is probably obnoxious. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Dealing with health insurance “including but not limited to” when it comes to medical necessity is a real bitch. 

With health products the ingredient being a “proprietary blend” is a nice FU to the consumer. Can’t fit “whatever was cheapest at the auction” on the label I guess. 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:28 AM, nashvillepoke said:

It is extremely dumb.  PMs love to issue the ping of death.  I cant tell you how many times a day I get Ddosed by PMs

I hate the use of “ping”. It gained momentum when Blackberry phones were the hottest thing. A ping with a bb was a way of getting someone’s attention and it stuck. My ex-wife used it at her job and everybody was pinging everyone and it was +++++ing ridiculous. She worked at Comcast and they did all sorts of silly shit like that. I also can’t stand when people say “crazy busy”. Yeah, we’re all busy here....no need to make it sound like you’re more busy than anyone else snowflake. 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I hate the use of “ping”. It gained momentum when Blackberry phones were the hottest thing. A ping with a bb was a way of getting someone’s attention and it stuck. My ex-wife used it at her job and everybody was pinging everyone and it was +++++ing ridiculous. She worked at Comcast and they did all sorts of silly shit like that. I also can’t stand when people say “crazy busy”. Yeah, we’re all busy here....no need to make it sound like you’re more busy than anyone else snowflake. 😀

Eff comcast! 

Granularity

And proof of concept is taking an idea for a widget, making it and proving it will work. Proving the concept, idea/theory by making a workable prototype.

Also, energy. There is a lot of energy on this issue. As in it isn't working so we are throwing everyone and the kitchen sink at an unworkable product trying to make it wotk.

One of the Final Five..........