Victor Maitlin

Any NCAA Hockey Fans On Here?

DU and CC had a good rivalry back when CC could pull their weight. I went to the CSU CU club games when I was in college which was a blast. Talk about some kids who were tired of seeing each other's ugly mugs. They hated each other personally by the end of the season. I would love to have varsity hockey but we can't even get a baseball program here. 

33 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

So it begins.  Next Wolf Pack club hockey.  Some day maybe NCAA scholarship level hockey.

Reno.PNG

Fingers crossed but unfortunately, I see a very bleak future for non-revenue college sports.  Especially at the G5 level.  It will be hard to hold onto the sports we have let alone adding an expensive varsity sport like hockey.  ASU's newly minted team, gives me some hope but without a permanent conference to play in and lack of other western teams the long term viability is uncertain.

5 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Fingers crossed but unfortunately, I see a very bleak future for non-revenue college sports.  Especially at the G5 level.  It will be hard to hold onto the sports we have let alone adding an expensive varsity sport like hockey.  ASU's newly minted team, gives me some hope but without a permanent conference to play in and lack of other western teams the long term viability is uncertain.

In Nevada, youth and college hockey now have something that the "revenue sports" do not have... the interest and support of billionaire families (Engelstad and Foley) and influential but not billionaire families (Stevens, Ensign, Brooks).  The Engelstads still fund UNLV's club hockey significantly, but before the 2018 falling out (between the Engelstads and the highly dysfunctional Nevada Board of Regents) it was looking optimistic that UNLV might get the same level of support that the Univ of North Dakota hockey program has gotten.  While 2018 was a big year for NHL in Las Vegas, it was ironically a major year of setbacks for the long term goal of NCAA scholarship level hockey.