Victor Maitlin

Any NCAA Hockey Fans On Here?

The first poll of the upcoming season is out.

1 Minnesota Duluth (44) 0-0-0 982 1
2 Notre Dame (2) 0-0-0 857 2
3 Ohio State (2) 0-0-0 835 3
4 Michigan (2) 0-0-0 790 4
5 Providence   0-0-0 698 7
6 St. Cloud State   0-0-0 697 6
7 Cornell   0-0-0 676 8
8 Boston University   0-0-0 597 10
9 Denver   0-0-0 552 5
10 Minnesota State   0-0-0 488 9
11 North Dakota   0-0-0 437 17
12 Boston College   0-0-0 398 19
13 Minnesota   0-0-0 387 18
14 Princeton   0-0-0 357 15
15 Northeastern   0-0-0 345 11
16 Penn State   0-0-0 302 13
17 Clarkson   0-0-0 299 12
18 Michigan Tech   0-0-0 115 16
19 Western Michigan   0-0-0 109 NR
20 Northern Michigan   0-0-0 98 20

• Like 1

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

I'm a huge fan of college hockey and it's the main reason why my Dish bill is so high this time of year as I subscribe to all the regional sports networks as many games are available there.  Flo Hockey is also a great place to stream college hockey games.  Growing up next door in SD we got a lot of MN based hockey over radio and on tv so I became a fan of the U of MN, MN Duluth and St. Coud State as these were the main teams that were widely broadcast.  I loved the U of Minnesota/U of North Dakota rivalry and am still disappointed that the Big 10 schools chose to leave the WCHA.

I would love to see MN Duluth repeat or an upstart school coming into the fray which has happend quite a few times in recent years with Yale, Providence, Union, Ferris State and Qunnipiac playing for or winning the championship.

There isn't much NCAA hockey west of the Mississippi, but plenty of club hockey.  Utah State has one of the best club hockey teams in the country.  We've been to the National Club Hockey Association national tournament every year for several years.  We've made it to the final four a couple of times, but never won the national championship.  The team is loaded with kids from Canada who weren't good enough for the NHL, but are looking for a chance to play, and maybe catch the attention of the pro scouts.  A couple of the alumni are now playing in European leagues.  They have the third best fan attendance of any team on campus, behind varsity football and varsity men's basketball.

One day, I hope to see my UAA Seawolves on a list like this! A lot of Gifted Alaskan hockey players leave the state (outside), to play college/Junior hockey across the nation, but can’t get hockey talent to go to Alaska... hmmm?

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

55 minutes ago, LKGates said:

There isn't much NCAA hockey west of the Mississippi, but plenty of club hockey.  Utah State has one of the best club hockey teams in the country.  We've been to the National Club Hockey Association national tournament every year for several years.  We've made it to the final four a couple of times, but never won the national championship.  The team is loaded with kids from Canada who weren't good enough for the NHL, but are looking for a chance to play, and maybe catch the attention of the pro scouts.  A couple of the alumni are now playing in European leagues.  They have the third best fan attendance of any team on campus, behind varsity football and varsity men's basketball.

Hopefully, more schools in the west will add NCAA D1 hockey but I'm not holding my breathe as it's an expensive sport when it comes to facilities, equipment and Title IX.  Arizona State really put themselves out there in moving up to NCAA D1 and I hope it'll spark others to do the same.  At present, 10 NCAA DI mens programs reside west of the Mississippi out of 60 total D1 programs nationwide.  Two of those schools, Denver and North Dakota are tied for #2 all time at 8 naty's apeice trailing only MI in number of naty's won.

Unfortunately, I think it's nearly impossible for a MWC school to be able to afford NCAA D1 hockey.  I think private schools like Stanford and USC could make it work rather easily.  Maybe even Gonzaga and BYU.  As far as public universities west of the Mississippi that don't currently have NCAA D1 hockey I think there are several that could make it work.  Washington, UCLA, Kansas and Texas could rather easily and perhaps Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and Utah could fund D1 hockey and have enough population and interest to draw reasonable attendance.  Who knows but a hockey fan can dream.

17 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Hopefully, more schools in the west will add NCAA D1 hockey but I'm not holding my breathe as it's an expensive sport when it comes to facilities, equipment and Title IX.  Arizona State really put themselves out there in moving up to NCAA D1 and I hope it'll spark others to do the same.  At present, 10 NCAA DI mens programs reside west of the Mississippi out of 60 total D1 programs nationwide.  Two of those schools, Denver and North Dakota are tied for #2 all time at 8 naty's apeice trailing only MI in number of naty's won.

Unfortunately, I think it's nearly impossible for a MWC school to be able to afford NCAA D1 hockey.  I think private schools like Stanford and USC could make it work rather easily.  Maybe even Gonzaga and BYU.  As far as public universities west of the Mississippi that don't currently have NCAA D1 hockey I think there are several that could make it work.  Washington, UCLA, Kansas and Texas could rather easily and perhaps Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and Utah could fund D1 hockey and have enough population and interest to draw reasonable attendance.  Who knows but a hockey fan can dream.

I'd love to see UNLV move up, their program has grown by leaps and bounds since the Knights have taken them under their wing. They play at City National Arena and more fans are going all the time. Maybe in the next few years, if they keep improving like they have.

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I'd love to see UNLV move up, their program has grown by leaps and bounds since the Knights have taken them under their wing. They play at City National Arena and more fans are going all the time. Maybe in the next few years, if they keep improving like they have.

How many millions in subsidies is your AD taking already? Hockey's an expensive sport to run, and it rarely makes any money. Also, you'd have to fund a women's team too. 

SteelCityBlue

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

6 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

I enjoy the fights..

Just listen to the commentary.  Classic...

I remember this game between Ottawa and Philly very well.  It holds the all time record for the number of penalty minutes assessed in a single game as well as the highest total ever assessd against one team.  It was 2004 and the NHL was really starting to crackdown on fighting with the increased health awareness and potential litigation from concussions.  The following season a new rule came into play that any player instigating a fight with less than 5 minutes left in the game would receive an automatic one game suspension.  The league was trying to eliminate multi-fight game endings like this which were relatively common in the 80's, 90's and somewhat so in the early 00's.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

I love that they actually put up a "tale of the tape" graphic!

It really is quality entertainment.

lets hope the NFL can recapture that magical essence, which made us fall in love with the sport as kids...

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

The league was trying to eliminate multi-fight game endings like this which were relatively common in the 80's, 90's and somewhat so in the early 00's.

That’s unfortunate...

It’s always disappointing when the underlying charm surrounding our favorite sports are eliminated for the sake of change...

New-Signature.jpg

51 minutes ago, calvegas04 said:

Notre Dame has hockey and they don't have a women's team

That's because they've had a team forever, and the title IX math worked out without one. If Vegas were to add a new team, they'd almost certainly need to add a women's team (or equivalent other sports with the same scholarship compliment) to remain title IX compliant. 

SteelCityBlue

42 minutes ago, Victor Maitlin said:

That's because they've had a team forever, and the title IX math worked out without one. If Vegas were to add a new team, they'd almost certainly need to add a women's team (or equivalent other sports with the same scholarship compliment) to remain title IX compliant. 

Or drop some current men's sports like BSU did with wrestling when they added baseball.