thespywhozaggedme

Unintended consequences of the new 4 game redshirt rule

Something interesting is happening that many, myself included hadn't thought of. Seniors who have played the first 4 games of the season are now making it their redshirt year and transferring immediately without having to sit out. The most notable is Okie States stud receiver Jalen McClesky and rumors are running rampant here in the Upstate of SC that recently demoted Clemson qb Kelly Bryant is about to do the same thing as he's missed the last two practices.

21 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Something interesting is happening that many, myself included hadn't thought of. Seniors who have played the first 4 games of the season are now making it their redshirt year and transferring immediately without having to sit out. The most notable is Okie States stud receiver Jalen McClesky and rumors are running rampant here in the Upstate of SC that recently demoted Clemson qb Kelly Bryant is about to do the same thing as he's missed the last two practices.

Well, I’m sure rule will change next year. Sometimes things like these need to happen to change the messed up rules. Luckily an entire football team isn’t getting robbed of a championship like Fresno did last year. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 hour ago, Dimwhit said:

I must not be remembering the details, but why are they not having to sit out a year?

They do have to sit out a year...

They are just redshirting/sitting out THIS year 2018 despite playing 4 games with their current school. He can declare to transfer, redshirt, and play all of 2019 as a RS senior somewhere else. Personally I don't have an issue with it.

1 minute ago, Mano said:

Graduate transfers don't have to sit.

So are you saying he could transfer to SJSU tomorrow and be their starting QB? I don't think so. I mean at the very least he has to be a student there which could not occur till the next quarter or semester. Plus the transfer application deadline might have already passed for the next quarter/semester. 

He would be RS this year to get 2019 to play at another school. He is not gonna play anywhere else this year. Or if he does he would only be eligible for the bowl game.

2 hours ago, Dimwhit said:

I must not be remembering the details, but why are they not having to sit out a year?

The new rule is that a player can play four games and still have a freshman year available. It was intended for a true freshman to get their feet wet but it is now being creatively used by seniors to play just four games their senior year and then  transfer so next year they will be immediately eligible. They are not at transfers, they are red shirt seniors.

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

So are you saying he could transfer to SJSU tomorrow and be their starting QB? I don't think so. I mean at the very least he has to be a student there which could not occur till the next quarter or semester. Plus the transfer application deadline might have already passed for the next quarter/semester. 

He would be RS this year to get 2019 to play at another school. He is not gonna play anywhere else this year. Or if he does he would only be eligible for the bowl game.

I believe the point is a senior can play 4 games, decide he doesn't like where he is at, and go to a different school and play next year.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

As a diehard Boise State fan  I wonder if that could affect us. After this Saturday against Wyoming we will have played four games. If there are some players on the roster that have at least played one snap for all four games but feel like that they're being very underutilized, they could apply this rule to themselves as well. Players like Mahone, or Pistone.

10 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Well, I’m sure rule will change next year. Sometimes things like these need to happen to change the messed up rules. Luckily an entire football team isn’t getting robbed of a championship like Fresno did last year. 

The rule is fine.  Graduating seniors can transfer and if a kid wants to play somewhere else let him.  He earned it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Well, it's kind of a stupid rule anyway. IMO, either you play or you don't.

I could understand maybe 1-2 games, definitely not 4!

Coaches love the rule and I think it's great for the students too.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

As a diehard Boise State fan  I wonder if that could affect us. After this Saturday against Wyoming we will have played four games. If there are some players on the roster that have at least played one snap for all four games but feel like that they're being very underutilized, they could apply this rule to themselves as well. Players like Mahone, or Pistone.

I could see this turning into players being recruited under the table to play at bigger programs, too.  But it really only affects players that played as true freshman. Mahone already redshirted, so did Pistone.  

Boise actually has very few dudes that still have redshirts. What if Rypien decided he wanted to redshirt and go to some PAC-12 or SEC school next year?  He could do so.  Octavius Evans, CT Thomas, Whimpey, and Kaniho are 4 dudes who are underclassmen who could probably transfer to "bigger" programs if they wanted to.  But they are all probably happy here, right? Octavius has only played in one game, so he could still play in the next three, then choose to redshirt and transfer anywhere as a R-So next season with 3 years of eligibility left. For upper classmen, maybe Maeva?  or Nawahine?  Maeva's playing time has really taken a hit this year, and he is a true-junior.  Could he want to redshirt this season and have two more years of eligibility left?

10 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I support the rule but I don't think that the coaches do. Do you think that Dabo Swinmey is happy that he's losing his veteran senior quarterback?

From before they passed the rule:

Boise State head football coach Bryan Harsin:

"I hope they pass it. That would be one of the best things they've ever done for college football."