TheTedfordTrain

What’s Up With Kawhi?

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’m not gonna knock it f-ckin’ off!  I’m doing nothing f-ckin’ wrong!  And I’m an honorable f-ckin’ person!

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I’m not done with the f-ckin’ 🌈!  I’m not done with the f-ckin’ 😘!  And I’m not done with the f-ckin’ ❤️!

Is this your way of coming out of the closet? 

I knew it would happen sooner or later.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

12 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Rainbows, hearts and the constant use of "f-uckin',"is gay.

Nay. +++++in other dudes in the ass is gay

• Haha 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

14 hours ago, retrofade said:

Sure, that's why his uncle told the Spurs front office that he wanted to go to New York or LA. His uncle wanted him in a big city to become a star so he could continue to ride his coattails. 

I know nothing of this uncle. New news to me. Sounds like one of those parasitic hangers-on that attach themselves to new money.

But here's what I do know about Whi -

1. He is a humble man of humble roots. When he first signed with the Spurs, he moved into modest apartment and drove the same hooptie beater he drove to Ticksass in the first place. He drove it to practice. He drove it to games. It was only when his literal BFF* (a childhood friend that came with him to SDSU as a +1) cajoled him into buying something new that he bought something new. But he kept his hooptie. 

2. His mom is his life, and has been since his dad was killed in a robbery when he was in HS.  Kawhi is about family. Returning to SoCal isn't just about playing in a "big city." It's about returning to his home, his roots, his family.

*images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgGu94IJs3mJbRHLu7i1Vgrapes.png

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I know nothing of this uncle. New news to me. Sounds like one of those parasitic hangers-on that attach themselves to new money.

But here's what I do know about Whi -

1. He is a humble man of humble roots. When he first signed with the Spurs, he moved into modest apartment and drove the same hooptie beater he drove to Ticksass in the first place. He drove it to practice. He drove it to games. It was only when his literal BFF* (a childhood friend that came with him to SDSU as a +1) cajoled him into buying something new that he bought something new. But he kept his hooptie. 

2. His mom is his life, and has been since his dad was killed in a robbery when he was in HS.  Kawhi is about family. Returning to SoCal isn't just about playing in a "big city." It's about returning to his home, his roots, his family.

*images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgGu94IJs3mJbRHLu7i1Vgrapes.png

Here's a decent read on "Uncle Dennis". You're right though, from all accounts, he's a parasitic hanger-on. It takes the subject on at a very high level, but gives a decent view. Most people around the NBA believe that he was the main source of problems between the Spurs and Kawhi, but Kawhi trusts him implicitly because he's family. But basically, the guy is trying to parlay Kawhi's success into creating his own sports marketing company like LeBron's.

Oh, and he was the one who convinced Kawhi to keep his beater instead of buying a new car, in order to "save money".

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/07/kawhi-leonard-uncle-dennis-robertson/

12 hours ago, retrofade said:

Here's a decent read on "Uncle Dennis". You're right though, from all accounts, he's a parasitic hanger-on. It takes the subject on at a very high level, but gives a decent view. Most people around the NBA believe that he was the main source of problems between the Spurs and Kawhi, but Kawhi trusts him implicitly because he's family. But basically, the guy is trying to parlay Kawhi's success into creating his own sports marketing company like LeBron's.

Oh, and he was the one who convinced Kawhi to keep his beater instead of buying a new car, in order to "save money".

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/07/kawhi-leonard-uncle-dennis-robertson/

Hmmm... well, after reading that, here's my takeaway:

- The man has 30 years of industry experience in finance, so he's not a know-nothing pursuing fortune and fame on the backs of blood.

- Assuming he was (at least part of) the reason Kawhi kept his hoopoe when he moved to SA, it speaks to a core set of values that include modesty and frugality: these are not bad things.

- If he is indeed trying to start up his own marketing company on the coattails of Kawhi's career, I guess that's not a "bad" thing in and of itself. Rather, it will be his conduct in doing so that determines whether his route becomes more LaVan Ball or LeBron James.

- I think given his extensive background in finance, it is perfectly reasonable that Kawhi delegated the responsibility of negotiating with the Spurs to him. After all, are agents really any better?

Not saying he's a good guy - but neither after reading that I don't see proof-positive that he's a "bad" guy either. :shrug:

51 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hmmm... well, after reading that, here's my takeaway:

- The man has 30 years of industry experience in finance, so he's not a know-nothing pursuing fortune and fame on the backs of blood.

- Assuming he was (at least part of) the reason Kawhi kept his hoopoe when he moved to SA, it speaks to a core set of values that include modesty and frugality: these are not bad things.

- If he is indeed trying to start up his own marketing company on the coattails of Kawhi's career, I guess that's not a "bad" thing in and of itself. Rather, it will be his conduct in doing so that determines whether his route becomes more LaVan Ball or LeBron James.

- I think given his extensive background in finance, it is perfectly reasonable that Kawhi delegated the responsibility of negotiating with the Spurs to him. After all, are agents really any better?

Not saying he's a good guy - but neither after reading that I don't see proof-positive that he's a "bad" guy either. :shrug:

It's more the fact that he was stirring up trouble with the Spurs locker room and the front office that makes him a bad guy. He made the decision to force Kawhi out of San Antonio, and then demanded that he be traded to either the Sixers, a NY team, or an LA team. That's where I make the point about him trying to use Kawhi to start his sports management firm... he needs Kawhi to be in one of those big markets in order to really get traction, which is why he tried, and succeeded, in forcing Kawhi out of San Antonio. Only he didn't get his wish... I mean, we sent him to a big city, just not one of the ones he wanted, and in another country.

Guest #1Stunner

Kawhi is a strange person.

He really acted immature and dumb with the Spurs.

He's now acting sort of odd in Toronto.

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/simmons-is-it-one-and-done-for-kawhi-leonard-in-toronto-hes-not-saying

Kawhi Leonard is a self-proclaimed “fun guy.” He said that without looking up or smiling.

He said that while sitting behind a desk on the organized chaos that happens to be Raptors Media Day, protected by having team president Masai Ujiri sitting to his left and his old and new teammate Danny Green sitting to his far left.

He needed some protection for his first official appearance as a Raptor with a speaking part, which is somewhat predictable. Also predictable: He looked about as enthusiastic as a public school kid who was forced to present in front of the class for the very first time even though he wasn’t ready or willing. He said as little as possible, as quickly as possible, without facial expression, mostly looking down, without a whole lot of warmth.

This is Kawhi Leonard, fun guy. Get used to it. And you know what? In the big picture, the basketball picture, none of this means anything.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Kawhi is a strange person.

He really acted immature and dumb with the Spurs.

He's now acting sort of odd in Toronto.

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/simmons-is-it-one-and-done-for-kawhi-leonard-in-toronto-hes-not-saying

Kawhi Leonard is a self-proclaimed “fun guy.” He said that without looking up or smiling.

He said that while sitting behind a desk on the organized chaos that happens to be Raptors Media Day, protected by having team president Masai Ujiri sitting to his left and his old and new teammate Danny Green sitting to his far left.

He needed some protection for his first official appearance as a Raptor with a speaking part, which is somewhat predictable. Also predictable: He looked about as enthusiastic as a public school kid who was forced to present in front of the class for the very first time even though he wasn’t ready or willing. He said as little as possible, as quickly as possible, without facial expression, mostly looking down, without a whole lot of warmth.

This is Kawhi Leonard, fun guy. Get used to it. And you know what? In the big picture, the basketball picture, none of this means anything.

My favorite part is where that lady helps Kawhi escape from the tank and lets him live in her bathtub until she can set him free in the harbor.

Guest #1Stunner
33 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

My favorite part is where that lady helps Kawhi escape from the tank and lets him live in her bathtub until she can set him free in the harbor.

Friend, 

Beg your pardon?

7 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Friend, 

Beg your pardon?

It's a reference to the creature in The Shape of Water. It won eight Oscars including Best Picture. I doubt it played in Mormontown though because of all the fish sex. So I'm not surprised you didn't get the reference.

Anyway, I'm suggesting that you are treating Kawhi like a circus freak. 

• Haha 1